Gulf Coast High School band in trouble

dentheriot

I just returned from our local high school band booster meeting. Tonight we learned that due to the country's economy and our worsening local economy because of the oil spill here, we will not be having an Indoor Percussion program this school year.
My son is a tenor player and LIVES for indoor season.
Does anyone know of any avenues we can try to help fund our school program?

Thanks for any ideas.
Denise
concerned parent from:

THIBODAUX HIGH SCHOOL
THIBODAUX, LOUISIANA

VH1 has a program...I think it's VH1 Save The Music. Might be worth checking out. Sorry for your struggles...that's so unfair!

Is there any booster club at your school???Maybe a coin drop at a busy street in town with some signs???Sorry to hear,Good luck to you guys down in the gulf.....We can walk on the moon, but cant stop a oil leak,we are 3 months in.Unreal...Makes me sick............

I remember after hurricane Katrina, schools were getting a helping hand from Yamaha to replace destroyed instruments.

The high school band in my town does car washes every Saturday in the electric company's main parking lot.

Teams and groups are always in front of Walmart asking for donations on the weekend. The exposure there is huge!

I just returned from our local high school band booster meeting. Tonight we learned that due to the country's economy and our worsening local economy because of the oil spill here, we will not be having an Indoor Percussion program this school year.

Thanks for any ideas.
Denise
concerned parent from:

THIBODAUX HIGH SCHOOL
THIBODAUX, LOUISIANA

man, this so sucks... I hate hearing these stories. Good luck to you.

You know, banging the door on local businesses (not delis, but manufacturers and suppliers and wholesalers), you just might get lucky.

man, this so sucks... I hate hearing these stories. Good luck to you.

You know, banging the door on local businesses (not delis, but manufacturers and suppliers and wholesalers), you just might get lucky.

Good idea. Maybe check out the local music stores too. Maybe they could contact some vendors willing to donate.

Another one might by Musician's Village. They may not be able to help directly as it's actually more of a Habitat for Humanity related charity, but if you contact them they might know of some organization that can help.
http://www.nolamusiciansvillage.org/

Sorry to hear about all your troubles down there. I hope some of the advice on here helps you.

Thank you all for the replies.
The kids are willing to work on weekends washing cars, can shakes etc.
I'll also check out the different sites that were suggested.
We are determined to save this program!!
I'll keep in touch with hopefully good news.
Denise

Beg. I know it's not very fashionable with all the panhandlers on every corner these days but I recall my HS days when we would dress up in our uni's and go the the local supermarket (stay in your school district) with containers and simply ask the neighbors to contribute.

Send an open request to the President of BP.

CC the request to your Governor and Senators as well as several national/local newspapers.

Do a weekly followup on your request ...makes for interesting press.

I think BP is looking for any positive press they can get and might agree to help(at least, I would consider it if I were heading up BP Public Relations).

Send an open request to the President of BP.

CC the request to your Governor and Senators as well as several national/local newspapers.

Do a weekly followup on your request ...makes for interesting press.

I think BP is looking for any positive press they can get and might agree to help(at least, I would consider it if I were heading up BP Public Relations).

I LOVE THIS IDEA!! I'll definitely try this.

I'd like to put you in touch with my friends at Remo. Would you mind dropping me an email. ([email protected])

very best

Chuck

Thanks for any ideas.
Denise
concerned parent from:

THIBODAUX HIGH SCHOOL
THIBODAUX, LOUISIANA

Back