What will happen to your gear, when you pass?

force3005

Silver Member
Hi everyone. My question is, what will happen with your gear when you pass? I was told to make out a Will and Living Will. My wife said it's up to me and that she would just want some sticks and some old kick heads with my initials on them ( i am also going to write a note for her on the heads now). I am going to leave one kit to a local High school and one to a local small Collage that has a very good jazz program. Both said that they were pleased and have said yes. I have enough cymbals to cover both also. Just wondering what others plan on doing if they can not pass down their kit to a loved one? It would be a shame for the kit or kits not to be used as we used them for their enjoyment for us and others.

My wife will have a garage sale.

My drums will probably sit and get covered with dust. In reality, my cymbal set is worth less than $1000 and my drum are worth less.

If my family wants to sell them or give them away, it will be their choice.

Straight to the next generation, of course!

Excellent posture on that young man! He must have a good teacher.

As someone who works in the death care industry for my day job, my advise to you all is to have this conversation with your spouse/kids/friends sooner rather than later. If you're a miserable type with legal kin, look into getting a friend as your Financial power of attorney.

I have asked my wife to sell my drums and cover the cremation costs. Anything extra can be used to cover expenses of the service. I'm sure there are a few pieces that the kids or someone may want too keep.

Excellent posture on that young man! He must have a good teacher.

Yes he does, I got super lucky and found a great one. My little man is going through the same regime I am,

He should be good to go by the time he realizes girls dig drummers ;-)

I have an ever-evolving "Letter of Instruction" (part of my living will and trust) where I specify where certain drums and cymbals are offered first, and the rest will be sold with the help of some key people in the business (who'll get a percentage in cash or at least first pick of gear.) In some cases, I've stated minimum values for the gear. My wife will have a nice chunk of change when I go. :)

Bermuda

It will all be cremated with me and dumped into my old fishing spot in Ellicott City Maryland , in the Patapsco River. All biodegradable.

My son will get it all to do with as he pleases. Except my wish is that my Guru drums must stay in the family. I don't think he'd ever sell them anyway.

I'm sure it will be auctioned off by Sotheby's, along with the rest of my vast empire.

Or

The wife could sell it for wine money at a yard sale along with all my Home Brewing equipment.

Taking mine with me.

It will be buried along with me and my slaves.

When I go someday, hopefully not for a long time, my drums and other music gear are about the last thing the wife, daughter and grand kids will be concerned about getting.

I've set up a family trust fund.

I have a file listing what everything is worth and a few sources interested in purchasing or who would help facilitate selling items.

I've provided a list of recommendations for "wise" donations (parties that will appreciate and care for the gear) in the event items don't sell.

I have a file listing what everything is worth and a few sources interested in purchasing or who would help facilitate selling items.

I've provided a list of recommendations for "wise" donations (parties that will appreciate and care for the gear) in the event items don't sell.

This is exactly what I have done.

I was gonna say, they shall be bronzed... but to stay current with the young Turks, my kit will get carbon freezing 😳

I hope you spelled my name correctly

After seeing my latest health insurance premium, I figure I'll have to sell them way before that point just to pay for extending my life a day or two.
Of course if I'm suddenly gone, my kids can have them. Then they can get a username and get on Drummerworld to donate them.

Last edited:
Back