Advice on buying module

The Noof

I want to buy a drum module. I don’t want to spend more than $300. I don’t need anything fancy, but I want a quality brand. I have a homemade kit. I need a module with CC for the hi-hat controller. This is my first electronic kit. So I don’t know all the terms. My hi-hat controller is full variable so I want the module to respond just like an acoustic hi-hat.
Thanks for advice

For $300 you wont get a hi-hat that will work exactly like an acoustic. It will be limited in the amount of steps it has between open and closed. I think something like the Roland TD-9 has 5 steps between fully open and closed. That's not too bad, but not exactly like an acoustic kit.

The best hi-hat/module combo is the TD-30 with the CH-13, but those two things are between $2500-$3000. I have these and it is very close to an acoustic hi hat. The only things it is lacking is a bell hit sound and palm muting. Other than that it works exactly like an acoustic hi-hat.

For $300 you wont get a hi-hat that will work exactly like an acoustic. It will be limited in the amount of steps it has between open and closed. I think something like the Roland TD-9 has 5 steps between fully open and closed. That's not too bad, but not exactly like an acoustic kit.

The best hi-hat/module combo is the TD-30 with the CH-13, but those two things are between $2500-$3000. I have these and it is very close to an acoustic hi hat. The only things it is lacking is a bell hit sound and palm muting. Other than that it works exactly like an acoustic hi-hat.

The TD-9 does it have sizzle that correlates to your foot movement?

Yes it does, but since there are only ~5 "positions" that it reads (2 of which are full open and full close) you notice these distinct "steps" in the sound as you slowly open/close the hi hat.

How about the Yamaha DTX502? Do you know much about it?

Can't speak with experience on any modules other than Roland TD-6 and TD-9 but I didn't find hi hat performance to be all that great on either. Full open or closed were okay but intermediate positions and foot splashes basically sucked. I'm sure the newer and / or more capable modules used with the VH11 and up Roland HH pads are much better but I went the road of Zildjian GEN 16 and never looked back. This provides a very good hi hat playing experience that is likely unmatched by any pad.

Back