Ludwig 4-Piece Cavern Club Fab Shell Pack ?

larryz

Platinum Member
I've been trying in vain to get information on this new(?) release from the folks at Ludwig? I can't even locate a photo. Top secret stuff? Can anyone provide further information? Thanks very much.

I believe you may be looking for the new Club Date drums. Cherry/Gum ply shells, wrapped shells,center mounted lugs. The shell layup is like the Element SE (I have one and they are excellent sounding drums).

The Club Dates come in a few different configurations .

Nope, it's something else. Not Club Dates. A quick Google search reveals several online retailers listing a Ludwig "Cavern Club" for around 8-900 bucks in Blue Oyster... something still to be released...

It's likely going to be GC's "Club Date." If you look at the retailers listing it, they all fall under the GC umbrella (MF, Music & Arts, WWBW). GC likely wanted (or Ludwig insisted) that they have a separate "new" product to set their offering apart from what independent shops have. Happens all the time, particularly in other industries.

It's likely going to be GC's "Club Date." If you look at the retailers listing it, they all fall under the GC umbrella (MF, Music & Arts, WWBW). GC likely wanted (or Ludwig insisted) that they have a separate "new" product to set their offering apart from what independent shops have. Happens all the time, particularly in other industries.

That was my thought also. They did this a few years ago with a reissued "Jazz Festival" snare in Pink Oyster Pearl and more recently with the Black Abalone Keystone kits. Production was limited to a hundred or so and only available through GC. Given the name (Cavern Club) and model (Fab), I'm surprised they're going with Blue rather than Black Oyster Pearl.

That was my thought also. They did this a few years ago with a reissued "Jazz Festival" snare in Pink Oyster Pearl and more recently with the Black Abalone Keystone kits. Production was limited to a hundred or so and only available through GC. Given the name (Cavern Club) and model (Fab), I'm surprised they're going with Blue rather than Black Oyster Pearl.

Who knows... I question the use of Cavern Club, when the target market for these kits are drummers far too young to know what it means... that's based on the assumption that older drummers who want a "new" club date probably shop with independent dealers because they have a few more dollars and value the higher level of service most indie shops offer vis a vis GC.

Ohmygod....

My only reservation about the new clubdate kits was they didn't offer a blue oyster type finish.

If there is a chance to get one in blue....oh god, I have to have it.

Sixties or seventies OBP?I like then both but if you have ever seen a really good example of early 60's OBP,it is stunning.I'm for the reissue.

Steve B

Who knows... I question the use of Cavern Club, when the target market for these kits are drummers far too young to know what it means... that's based on the assumption that older drummers who want a "new" club date probably shop with independent dealers because they have a few more dollars and value the higher level of service most indie shops offer vis a vis GC.
I agree except for the simple fact is a lot of these independent dealers are not able to make it anymore and are closing up. I have 3 GC's in my surrounding area and had 2 independent drum shops, of one which was close to me and i used exclusively over GC. They just closed up this past summer. No going out of business sale or anything. Just put a sign on the door on a Thursday that said thanks for all of the great years but sadly we are no longer in business. It sucks. Now I either drive for 30 minutes to get to the other place or 5 minutes to GC.

I love Ludwig but just not sure i am all that hyped about cheap drums for $800. It would have been nice to have an option other than just sparkle right form the start. How about black oyster or sky blue pearl. Now that would maybe get me to think about getting one.

Sixties or seventies OBP?I like then both but if you have ever seen a really good example of early 60's OBP,it is stunning.I'm for the reissue.

Steve B

Yes, there is a difference between the early 60's and the 70's blue oyster.

I certainly hope it's closer to the early 60's. The 70's version is pretty lame.

i really wish there was some feedback out there about these drums.. are they cheap?.. who knows?... the element se always got glowing reviews.. i want to upgrade from my current club jazz... if they are indeed better, then the extra 150 is not that big a deal

The Element SE are outstanding drums, the fact they were very reasonably priced made them a great value. One of my local shops had a Citrus Mod Downbeat in stock. I played it and was suitably impressed, when I found out it was only $700.00 Canadian I bought it. It is now my main rehearsal kit and quick in and out kit. I played it at the Toronto Beaches Jazz Festival and I had at least 5 drummers come up to me to tell me how great it sounded .

Last edited:
well if they are indeed the same quality drum then i suppose i am going to get one... i had thought about getting an element se but by the time i had the money to actually get a kit they were not as available... steve's in ottawa had one in orange downbeat, but i never got a chance to hear it before it was gone

I agree except for the simple fact is a lot of these independent dealers are not able to make it anymore and are closing up. I have 3 GC's in my surrounding area and had 2 independent drum shops, of one which was close to me and i used exclusively over GC. They just closed up this past summer. No going out of business sale or anything. Just put a sign on the door on a Thursday that said thanks for all of the great years but sadly we are no longer in business. It sucks. Now I either drive for 30 minutes to get to the other place or 5 minutes to GC.

It is sad when shops close, but as inconvenient as it is when one closes near you, there's another one opening somewhere else. Case in point would be DCP (2009), Victor Salazar's new shop in Chicago (2011), Ohio Drumworks (2011) which rose from the ashes of George's Drum Shop closing, etc

I feel for you though... living in Bangkok there is ONE shop in a city of 10 million that is dedicated to drums, and they don't even have access to the major brands because of distribution agreements. Finding a 14" Coated Ambassador and Vic Firth 5A's can be a real adventure.

It is sad when shops close, but as inconvenient as it is when one closes near you, there's another one opening somewhere else. Case in point would be DCP (2009), Victor Salazar's new shop in Chicago (2011), Ohio Drumworks (2011) which rose from the ashes of George's Drum Shop closing, etc

I feel for you though... living in Bangkok there is ONE shop in a city of 10 million that is dedicated to drums, and they don't even have access to the major brands because of distribution agreements. Finding a 14" Coated Ambassador and Vic Firth 5A's can be a real adventure.

I swear I saw a shop in Siam Paragon. They had that limited run premier Kieth Moon kit in the window...granted this was four years ago I was last there....unless that was the one place you were talking about.

There is a "Fab Four" shell pack available in the Ludwig Classic Maple line.
Price is more like $2,000.

I swear I saw a shop in Siam Paragon. They had that limited run premier Kieth Moon kit in the window...granted this was four years ago I was last there....unless that was the one place you were talking about.

Paragon has a Music Collection shop which is the Thai distributor for Premier... unfortunately they don't carry much else in the way of drums. Great memory though!

EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS Re: Ludwig 4-Piece Cavern Club Fab Shell Pack ?

OK. Finally. Photos of the new 2012 Ludwig Cavern Club blue oyster pearl offering. Photos are available nowhere that I know of on the world wide web. Even on Guitar Center's own web page. The Cavern Club is simply the soon-to-be-released updated 2012 Club Date set, but with blue oyster pearl wrap exclusive to Guitar Center stores only (I think..). Anyway, here they are. I was impressed and sat down to play it. Very nice. Captures a lot of the warmth of the original 1960s Club Dates, but with gum/cherry wood shells. Same as their Element series I'm told. Bowling ball style pearl. The kit on display at my local GC was the only one in stock and was the 3 piece set. They had a Ludwig Supraphonic snare with it on display ($440 only...) Sooooo tempting.. Anyway, enjoy. Post comments, etc. thanks.

Attachments

• lud1 (V0022125).JPG
    lud1 (V0022125).JPG
    56 KB · Views: 5,372
  • lud2 (V0022126).JPG
    lud2 (V0022126).JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 14,435
  • lud3 (V0022127).JPG
    lud3 (V0022127).JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 5,431
Yes, the Blue Oyster finish on a club date is exclusive to GC, and is a limited run.

But I'm bit disappointed in the finish. There are several variations of blue oyster pearl from Ludwig over the years, and while this is consistent with certain eras, it's not the version of blue oyster I was hoping for.

Back