50 Years Ago Today

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
The wreckage of a single-engine Beechcraft Bonanza was scattered across a small area of snow-covered cornfield outside of Clear Lake, Iowa. The plane crashed into the ground suddenly, so most of the smoldering rubble was concentrated in one area. Three passengers — Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. Richardson, a.k.a. “The Big Bopper” — were ejected from the plane and died on impact, as did the pilot, 21-year-old Roger Peterson.

That happened on Feb. 3, 1959, exactly 50 years ago this Tuesday.

It was the most infamous plane crash in rock and roll history, aided somewhat in that distinction by Don McLean’s wistful ballad, “American Pie,” in which he referred to the event as “the day the music died.”

Don called Buddy a genius. That was pretty obvious.

I recommend people watch Gary Busey's oscar nominated performance in "The Buddy Holly story." It shows not only genius, but the prudish, bible-belt (and racist) barriers he had to overcome in the 50's to get his music heard. He was a genius, a pioneer and we could only speculate what could have been had he survived.

That happened on Feb. 3, 1959, exactly 50 years ago this Tuesday.

It was the most infamous plane crash in rock and roll history, aided somewhat in that distinction by Don McLean’s wistful ballad, “American Pie,” in which he referred to the event as “the day the music died.”

a sad day to be sure, nobodys feet could resist The Big Bopper, i'm a little young for "American Pie" ( i was probably a toddler ), i did'nt realize the song was about their deaths, gonna have to have a listen now...

Don called Buddy a genius. That was pretty obvious.

I recommend people watch Gary Busey's oscar nominated performance in "The Buddy Holly story." It shows not only genius, but the prudish, bible-belt (and racist) barriers he had to overcome in the 50's to get his music heard. He was a genius, a pioneer and we could only speculate what could have been had he survived.

Funny. I'm watching it right now. So far, so great.

Back