Who's the fastest drummer on Drummerworld? (off topic)

Re: Who's the fastest drummer on Drummerworld?

I enjoy exhibitions of skill of all types. Lots of things take lots of hours over the years to develop.
I'm not particularly interested in competitions though.
There's more to gain and to learn for all involved through co-operation instead.

This thread has devolved into an "I see the use for double bass"/"I don't see the need". Similar arguments to all the threads on single bass/double bass for drums.

You'll note that no one says anything about having fast hands, but fast feet seems to be anathema. Look at Buddy Rich, his hands move too damn fast, should we discount it as real drumming?

Obviously, no. The same thing applies to feet and hands working together. There's got to be musicality to the exercise, no doubt. Who'd be interested in hearing a mush of notes that aren't in time and are just being thrown out there to ensure a high score on a drum-o-meter.

Maybe that's how we could distinguish this test of mettle from WFD. We should have a click as a prerequisite to ensure things are in time.

Of course, I realise the idea has been deep-sixed already. The reasons, of course, intrigue me. I mean, double bass is so widely used nowadays, that speed is indeed one of the points most talked about when comparing drummers.

It's reasonable to ask the question.. I guess it's just a bit juvenile.. Teenagers are impressed by that stuff and this is a more mature crowd.

I like double bass but I'm not impressed by speed, more interested in patterns that have a rhythm.

In space, no-one can hear you scream.......................nor can they hear you drum.

The two drummers is the problem are on Earth, presumably Earth's surface..

Yes, but they would also hear their singles as faster than the stationary drummer. So who is faster?

I'm assuming the two drummers are playing singles at 200bpm relative to their own personal clocks. If that's true, the drummer who is playing fastest is the drummer moving slowest relative to the person listening/measuring the speed.

Drumming is not a contest....hockey is a contest...and winning is everything. So not buying the analogy.

I just love it when music listeners make this statement. "Music isn't a competition"? Are you serious?

From the very beginning of marketing music....it has been ALL about competition.

Competition to be the "best" local band. Competition to get signed. Competition to be #1 on the charts, Competition to have the most work or hits, Competition to write the best song, Competition to sell the most units (Grammies, etc), heck, the entire music industry was set up on the competition basis. Haha.

If we believe music isn't a competition, we need to be more honest with ourselves.

Cheers,
D

I liked that, MrInsanePolack. The "Cookie Monster" vocals fit the music and the whole production was really tight. I like the drumming too, very classy and old school. Not a big fan of blast beats myself.

Reminds me a bit of Suffocation.

As of now, you're in the lead for the "competition". Would have liked to see a video though :)

If I had a video to share I would. I don't a camera at this time. Soon, hopefully, very soon.

A lot of good points, but while Mr Pert or beetles may be YOUR cup of tea.. its not everyone's.

Id MUCH rather listen to a guy like Roddy hammer out on the kit for an hour than Pert.

I also love listing to stuff some of the extreme metal guys are doing. Guys like John Longstreth and the like have made me look at ways of pushing myself further because I know its possible..... If no one pushes the envelope everyone will just be complacent with how things are and nothing new or innovative will ever happen.

Theres a reason why people go to watch fast drummers and follow them. differnt strokes for different folks.

Also.. bands like the beetles are so popular because of the lack of bands back then and lack of social media and the industry.... their's MILLIONS of bands out there now and its hard to become a modern day dinosaur. If the beetles never existed in their time and formed in this day and age they wouldn't be known to the point they are. (not trashing the beetles, just making a point)

If any drummer wants to be a speed demon...there is nothing wrong with it, but what really turns heads is being innovative; different; bring something to the table that is different....speed has been done ad infinitum; played out...if you want to be a follower, then work on being the fastest

If you want to be revered and have the staying power of decades, speed is not the answer. Drumming fast does not make ****music**** enjoyable. It may satisfy an ego or satisfy something that says "Look at me; I'm fast"...and thats just silly, to be honest...if one wants to compete to be the fastest, knock it out, but the returns, aside from ego satisfaction, are not many or very musical.

I have to disagree. Speed leads to innovation. Without the quest for speed we would all be still doing the same things. Speed is almost the defining factor of innovation in every industry. Racing is what breeds the new technology that we find in our commuter cars. The computer industry is always looking to have the fastest processors. Speed is extremely important in sports. Businesses take how long something takes to make into consideration, aka speed of production. We have fast food. It is fast for a reason.

If you don't like a certain genre of music, or what a particular band is doing, that's fine. But just because they go fast doesn't mean they haven't done something new or interesting. I will agree that some bands do sound similar, and if you aren't into what is happening in that area of the musical world I can see where it would be considered drab or unoriginal. Personally, I can say the same things about many bands that are loved by the masses. It isn't because they aren't good, it is because I don't care for what they are doing.

You had posted somewhere that you like Slayer. They are fast, and were at the start of a whole new area of music. Were not they innovative?

I have to disagree. Speed leads to innovation. Without the quest for speed we would all be still doing the same things. Speed is almost the defining factor of innovation in every industry. Racing is what breeds the new technology that we find in our commuter cars. The computer industry is always looking to have the fastest processors. Speed is extremely important in sports. Businesses take how long something takes to make into consideration, aka speed of production. We have fast food. It is fast for a reason.

If you don't like a certain genre of music, or what a particular band is doing, that's fine. But just because they go fast doesn't mean they haven't done something new or interesting. I will agree that some bands do sound similar, and if you aren't into what is happening in that area of the musical world I can see where it would be considered drab or unoriginal. Personally, I can say the same things about many bands that are loved by the masses. It isn't because they aren't good, it is because I don't care for what they are doing.

You had posted somewhere that you like Slayer. They are fast, and were at the start of a whole new area of music. Were not they innovative?

Yes, i do and they were; key words being highlighted.

My opinion is not what is important here though...there was a time where the quest for speed was sentient; meaningful and boy have lots of guys achieved some amazing stuff. New players into the field, if they want to be innovative and be onto something new, are likely not going to find it through speed.

To be honest, and for what it is worth, at my age, 50, I was right there digging all of the metal and still do. A band like Amon Amarth; I love that shit.

So it's not that I don't like the music that leads me to my discourse on the topic..

Id MUCH rather listen to a guy like Roddy hammer out on the kit for an hour than Pert.

Haha...thanks but, why god why would you want to do that? LoL.

I think I can speak for most of the "faster" metal drummers (because I know most of them very well) and say that at no point did any of say to ourselves "I want to be the fastest".

I think this is where the point of the music gets lost to those that aren't playing it.

For me, it was always about energy and playing as "intense" as possible. I just happened to gain speed as an end result of music....not the other way around. And, it's the same for most of the drummers doing this style professionally.

The only people I see that make it into "who's faster", etc are the people outside... looking in.

When I came onto the scene in the mid 90s I recorded a record with a band named Malevolent Creation called "In Cold Blood".
At the time....it was the most intense, furious and most relentless drumming on a recording up to that point.
Because of that...I would hear, he's the fastest a lot. But, It wasn't because thats what I set out to do....that's what the music required to get the desired effect I (and the band) was going for.
Of course, that being the most intense drumming record didn't last very long and within several months another drummer recorded something on the next level.
That's the way it works with this style of music. Something you don't get outside of it but, there are other ways that bands like the Beatles, etc pushed themselves...all for the same end result. Music.

D

Some really interesting posts here. Mr IP, no doubt speed is one way of opening up new territory.

Derek, really liked your post. Whenever I hear today's metal players talk about how they feel about the music it seems almost exactly the same as how we felt in the early 70s with Jimi, Zep, Purple, Sabbath etc ... everyone strove for max intensity and speed was an essential part of that.

I suspect many players who put speed first are attracted to the numbers - being able to tangibly measure progress and the numbers provides ready comparison.

The other thing about speed is that, if you don't use it, you lose it. When I returned to playing in my middle age I didn't want to go back to playing hard and heavy - I wanted to play music that was more relaxed and quirky than stimulating and exciting. After the break I noticed I'd lost a lot of speed anyway and it hasn't come back (which is fine).

"Speed is almost the defining factor of innovation in every industry."

The mind boggles when I consider race horses and stud farming.

Merry Christmas everyone. And just allow me to quote Chester Thompson. "Fast and sloppy is still sloppy."

For me, it was always about energy and playing as "intense" as possible. I just happened to gain speed as an end result of music....not the other way around. And, it's the same for most of the drummers doing this style professionally....

...The only people I see that make it into "who's faster", etc are the people outside... looking in.
That's the way it works with this style of music. Something you don't get outside of it but, there are other ways that bands like the Beatles, etc pushed themselves...all for the same end result. Music.

That's a word of gold Derek... MUSIC... it has to be the driving factor, whatever style you play.

I remember years ago being fascinated by Cozy Powell, the energy, the purposeful character of his drumming, the charisma and the... speed, I was hooked :)

"Speed is almost the defining factor of innovation in every industry."

The mind boggles when I consider race horses and stud farming.

Merry Christmas everyone. And just allow me to quote Chester Thompson. "Fast and sloppy is still sloppy."

In my former profession, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast".

There's room for everybody in music. Music is so personal and each generation is entitled to their music, even if the older generations can't see the point in it. As it has been since time immemorial. There will always be a faction of people on both "sides" of this particular (non) issue. Some people like a blur of notes, and others like some space in between the notes. Great! We're all on the same team still. No one is superior here. It's all simply a matter of preference.

An exercise in acceptance goes a long way here, especially from the older generation who really should be setting an example for the younger generation. It's so easy to regard anything other than your own preference in music as garbage. Kind of negative there. It's just foreign and unfamiliar, that's all. It's so easy to get closed minded as you age, you have to be very vigilant with yourself so this isn't allowed to happen. Unless you want to become bitter. If you (collectively speaking) were raised with the music you "hate"... you'd be all over it. So you can't fault a whole generations music. It's valid to them, just as yours was valid to you. You can't fault someone for trying to push past limits, that's what life and growth are all about. It's all about respect and acceptance.

There's room for everybody in music. Music is so personal and each generation is entitled to their music, even if the older generations can't see the point in it. As it has been since time immemorial. There will always be a faction of people on both "sides" of this particular (non) issue. Some people like a blur of notes, and others like some space in between the notes. Great! We're all on the same team still. No one is superior here. It's all simply a matter of preference.

An exercise in acceptance goes a long way here, especially from the older generation who really should be setting an example for the younger generation. It's so easy to regard anything other than your own preference in music as garbage. Kind of negative there. It's just foreign and unfamiliar, that's all. It's so easy to get closed minded as you age, you have to be very vigilant with yourself so this isn't allowed to happen. Unless you want to become bitter. If you (collectively speaking) were raised with the music you "hate"... you'd be all over it. So you can't fault a whole generations music. It's valid to them, just as yours was valid to you. You can't fault someone for trying to push past limits, that's what life and growth are all about. It's all about respect and acceptance.

Yeah, but their music still sucks ;)

KIDDING, kidding......

Yeah, but their music still sucks ;)

KIDDING, kidding......

There's a truth behind every joke. There's animosity between the older close minded people like bo and the younger closed minded metal people because neither of them show either any appreciation for their efforts. You see it everyday on youtube. They're two different hero systems.

Bo has been playing drums his whole life and in his mind his style is the ultimate, but the young people don't understand that, and bo might get annoyed when some young punk isn't impressed by his sensible, minimalist style, but rather some dude jack hammering away. And young punks will get annoyed when bo slags off their music. It's a battlefield.

I try to be open minded but I don't try to like anything. Sometimes music is just crap.

There's a truth behind every joke. There's animosity between the older close minded people like bo and the younger closed minded metal people because neither of them show either any appreciation for their efforts. You see it everyday on youtube. They're two different hero systems.

Bo has been playing drums his whole life and in his mind his style is the ultimate, but the young people don't understand that, and bo might get annoyed when some young punk isn't impressed by his sensible, minimalist style, but rather some dude jack hammering away. And young punks will get annoyed when bo slags off their music. It's a battlefield.

I try to be open minded but I don't try to like anything. Sometimes music is just crap.

Well, I try not to have that much animosity, and I've been trained by older pros than me to be hip to the new stuff. My older teachers called it "defensive listening", but that might be too harsh of a term. As Tony Williams said, if you're artist with a capital A, then that means you'll at least check it out. That's what I try to do all the time. It took me a while to find out who Jojo Mayer and Benny Greb are, and I love those guys.

I don't get too annoyed when younger guys don't dig what I like. As I get older I realize that those young guns will eventually be on my side of the fence anyway. So its all good.

There will always be a faction of people on both "sides" of this particular (non) issue. Some people like a blur of notes, and others like some space in between the notes. Great! We're all on the same team still.

One thing I see happening a good deal is similar to the statement above. We have a tendency to "pick" a side or team, (and I do realize you said "fraction" of each) when in reality...there are WAY more drummers who prefer both....space and notes.

Why does nobody bring up those types of drummers? After all, they are the majority.

We are always drawing lines in the sand and putting "types" of drummers on either side when I've found that well over half appreciate Both sides.I know I do....and, most of the drummers I speak with do as well.

I've always wondered why we as musicians (and people in general) draw these lines and what overall purpose they serve other than starting arguments? Haha.

I understand that not every drummer who plays a bunch of notes does it well.... and there are also drummers who use a lot of space that don't do it very well.

There was a statement earlier in this thread in which someone kept saying....just because it's fast doesn't make it better music. Well, I say just because it is fast.....doesn't mean it's bad either.
Understanding the difference between good fast music and bad fast music... is the same as understanding the difference in good and bad slow music.

D

Back