Best heads for rock?

ADKLco

I currently have coated EC2's over clear Ambassadors on the toms, but I find that I never get the sound I want from my floor tom. I mostly play rock so what are the best 2 ply batters (I never really liked 1ply heads) for rock iyo?

G2's - Especially for the floor tom ... Grrrrrrr!

Personally I find 2 ply heads dead, thin and lack warmth and resonance compaied to a single ply but if 2 ply is your thing then go with Aquarians response 2, its the equivalent to the Remo emperor and Evans g2 but will last longer, cost less and IMO Aquarian's mylar just sounds better than the others.

Two down.....that means one one to go. So let's round this out and suggest a Remo Emperor.

That'll clear up any confusion you had.

Clear or coated......

Ah, the eternal question and cause of endless debate.

Coated.....no, clear. Wait....definitely coated....or should that be clear? I never know myself and have spent 25 odd years switching back and forth between the two. :)

Two down.....that means one one to go. So let's round this out and suggest a Remo Emperor.

That'll clear up any confusion you had.

Ah, the eternal question and cause of endless debate.

Coated.....no, clear. Wait....definitely coated....or should that be clear? I never know myself and have spent 25 odd years switching back and forth between the two. :)

Ditto. I even change heads way before they've worn out just because I get the bug to try something different, especially if its just before a gig. Daft I know. I've kept all those heads though and I've promised myself I won't buy any more for quiet some time. Currently I have EC2s that I kept on for only a week... some pinstripes (though not sure I can bring myself to put these back on), some coated G2s, and that's just what I can remember sitting here at 4.20am. Currently I have Vintage Emperors on which sound rather nice.

And after all this, I'll just go back to my default: Coated Remo Ambassadors. Or maybe I'll give clear a try ;-)

To the OP: I've not yet found a head that is not good for rock. It's all in the tuning, as far as I can tell..

I agree with the G2's. They're pretty sweet.

On the other hand if you're looking for pure WHOMP, go with an Aquarian Performance II. That thing will give you WHOMP. Unfortunately that's all it will give you as it is a one-trick-pony, but it does one thing and does it well.

Ditto. I even change heads way before they've worn out just because I get the bug to try something different, especially if its just before a gig. Daft I know. I've kept all those heads though and I've promised myself I won't buy any more for quiet some time. Currently I have EC2s that I kept on for only a week... some pinstripes (though not sure I can bring myself to put these back on), some coated G2s, and that's just what I can remember sitting here at 4.20am. Currently I have Vintage Emperors on which sound rather nice.

And after all this, I'll just go back to my default: Coated Remo Ambassadors. Or maybe I'll give clear a try ;-)

To the OP: I've not yet found a head that is not good for rock. It's all in the tuning, as far as I can tell..

I have a set of Aquarian Classic Clears - 12, 13, 14... that are unused because I bought them for a kit I no longer own. Talk about money wasted! And I don't even want to use them. I also have a G Plus head I hit once. I have a box full of old drum heads that still have life in them but I can't give up. It's amazing that when the head is still good and you have the itch to change it you should just throw the old head away but you don't...

Sometimes it helps to be able to buy heads for different kits like our church kit, to try out other head combinations. I have Vintage Emperors on our youth group's church kit right now and it sounds pretty good. That's a Pearl Export. I like how warm they sound.

If I may, there may be one single-ply head that will work for rock, and it is the thicker Evans G14. As for double-ply, I had good luck with clear G2 over EC Resonant: good sustain, deep tone. Peace and goodwill.

My set came with Remo Ambassador Coated, they have good attack, but also resonate too.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Are Evans Onyx any good?

Evans has new heads that are advertised as being good for heavy hitters, but I forget what they are called. Peace and goodwill.

I use G2 coated over G1 clear for most of my toms, and I'd personally use them for almost any situation. Even my 18" floor tom sounds perfect with them. Best of luck!

Try the Evans new clear G 14. !4 mill of badass. Heavy but not deadening and will take a beating

Thanks for all the suggestions! Are Evans Onyx any good?

Some peeps like them. I tried them on a Gretsch Renown kit and I didn't care for them. Hard to tune and stifles a lot of good overtones.

Definitely not the heads for that kit. I wouldn't buy them for mine either.

G2's or Aquarian Performance II's. I stand by my opinion!

Back