Mick Brown

IAN - W -

Rebel
"Wild" Mick Brown - The drummer who is the backbone mainly for the rock band Dokken. In addition, Lynch Mob, Xciter and sessions with Ted Nugent. He's drumming ''fits like a glove'' for Dokken with the right touch to begin and end songs, perfectly.

Every time I listen to: Breaking the Chains · Tooth and Nail · Under Lock and Key · Back for the Attack and Beast From The East (live).....I say to myself, what an awesome band.

Further comments?

Attachments

• MB.jpg
    MB.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 5,420
  • Mick on drums with Gonzo.jpg
    Mick on drums with Gonzo.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 2,718
He has not received the right recognition for drumming, but We are highlighting his work, in present.....thanks!

Him & George Lynch were childhood buddies & what made Dokken great IMHO, I always liked his playing in Dokken & Lynch Mob .

A very under-rated player in my book. Tooth & Nail(Dokken) & Wicked Sensation(Lynch Mob) is probably my favorite albums he did.

Mick,Blotz & Tommy are my fav's from the LA scene back in the 80's

Bonzolead

Last edited:
Remarkable drummers and their bands as well. Are We missing any other drummer of that time?

Remarkable drummers and their bands as well. Are We missing any other drummer of that time?

I always admired Troy Lucretia the drummer for Tesla, He always had tasteful chops very under-rated IMO.

I also liked Randy Castillo from (Ozzy & Lita Ford), Eric Singer(Black Sabbath,Kiss,Alice Cooper,Badlands & many others) both of those guys were LA session cats back then.

Oh I can't. forget Frankie Banali from Quiet Riot incredible drummer.

To go back too the thread I always liked Mick Brown's set-up for Tooth & Nail (1) 15" tom I believe between 2 bass drums Louie Bellson type of set-up pretty cool.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

I always admired Troy Lucretia the drummer for Tesla, He always had tasteful chops very under-rated IMO.

I leave this one for you, brother...To create a thread on Troy Lucretia. I am going back to listen to The Great Radio Controversy and Acoustical Jam albums by TESLA.

I also liked Randy Castillo from (Ozzy & Lita Ford), Eric Singer(Black Sabbath,Kiss,Alice Cooper,Badlands & many others) both of those guys were LA session cats back then.

If I'm not wrong, I think Randy played sessions for Motley Crue as well.

Oh I can't. forget Frankie Banali from Quiet Riot incredible drummer.

Yes, He is. In fact a started a thread on Frankie Banali...Check and make your comments. In addition, He filled in for WASP for a while.

To go back too the thread I always liked Mick Brown's set-up for Tooth & Nail (1) 15" tom I believe between 2 bass drums Louie Bellson type of set-up pretty cool.

I will check that drum-set picture again!!!

Thanks a lot......Ian

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

.....................................A thunder of drums!!!

Ain't it Troy Lucketta instead of Lucretia?? But i agree with you Bonzo, he is under-rated :).

Ain't it Troy Lucketta instead of Lucretia?? But i agree with you Bonzo, he is under-rated :).

yes i'm sure you're right on the spelling my last name is Smith like anybody ever mis-spelled that..lol..cool drummer regardless.

Bonzolead

You are a major influence in my drumming. The 1980's Dokken albums are what I cut my chops on. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Happy B-day, Mick!

In case you missed this recent Blabbermouth.net article, a long-time touring drummer describes the painful rigors or touring and how lower budgets mean some drummers no longer play on their legacy band’s records.

Former DOKKEN Drummer MICK BROWN: 'I Haven't Touched A Drum Stick In Two Years'​

Former DOKKEN drummer "Wild" Mick Brown has opened up about his decision to retire from touring in 2019. At the time Mick said that he was "taking a break" from the road but implied that he would resume playing shows at a later date.

Brown, who turned 66 last September, reflected on his decision to stop playing music during a new appearance on the "Rimshots With Sean" podcast. He said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "It's been about four and a half years [since I last played with DOKKEN]. I was 63 [at the time]. My body started developing pain from playing drums. And I was really getting tired and it was really hard to walk through airports. I'm still in a lot of pain — shoulder pain, some joint pain in the fingers, which have subsided now, except the walking part. And it didn't occur to me to stop. Although I just blurted out to Don[Dokken, DOKKEN leader], 'I've gotta stop doing this. I can't do it anymore.' And he got immediately, like, 'Wow. I'm surprised you even made it this far with what you did to yourself.'"
According to Mick, the injuries that he had sustained over the decades of playing drums had taken their toll on his body.

"I wouldn't have stopped if the pain wasn't there," he explained. "But the pain was, and it was getting too much for me. And the traveling — listen, after 40 years of traveling that fast [laughs], the last thing I wanted to do was go to another airport or sit in a van going to the hotel or on a tour bus. I was done. And I just let the higher power go, 'All right. You're done.' And I followed that. Everything I liked about it had kind of disappeared anyway. Like in today's world, Don wasn't using me on the records — the last couple of records. And I'm, like, 'I'm the drummer in the band. You're not gonna…?' 'Cause it cost money to fly me; it turned into that world. And it became a job. And I was, like, 'It's still a real good job.'

Addressing what he does to keep himself busy nowadays, Brown said: "I have no ambition anymore, and I've never really been ambitious with anything except music. I make enough money where I don't have to do anything. And guess what? I don't do anything. I ride that chopper… That's really what my passion is. I do a lot of sleeping. And I don't have anything I have to do — except enjoy my friends today. It's that kind of a thing. That's where I'm at. And I couldn't be more pleased."

Brown went on to say that he feels extremely fulfilled, even though he is no longer playing music for a living. "I want everyone to know — I'm just having the time of my life," he said. "But I've always done that. But this is just as good …

Last month, TESLA drummer Steve Brown, who is Mick's younger brother, spoke to Chaotic Riffs about his brother's decision to retire from touring. Regarding the physical challenges that forced Mickto retire from performing live, Steve said: "It's not so much the playing, but it's the travel on top of it. He's a lot bigger guy than I man, and cramming into airline seats for long flights… They would play in Washington state on a Friday and somewhere on the East Coast on a Saturday. Those two things, you just can't do it forever. And he's been doing it — what? Fifty years. So I was kind of surprised. To be honest with you, I thought he would do it till he just keeled over on stage one day.

'When [Mick] was playing with Ted Nugent at the same time [as DOKKEN] and trying to do both, he kind of got tired of that," he continued. "And then when the Ted thing was done, he stuck it out with Don as much as he could. But then just came a point where he just physically couldn't do it anymore. And both of us have the same type of thing — I have it worse. It's psoriatic arthritis. So it's an immune deficiency thing. And he kind of worked his way through it; it kind of passed. But I know the kind of pain that I'm in, so for him to continue on like that kind of untreated too — 'cause I take shots and I do this and that and try to stay ahead of it a little bit… And one thing is when you're sitting on a plane and then you've gotta get up, and you're, like, 'Oh, God.' [Laughs]

We all get old. I have plans to build an "epic" band practice barn. However... I'm going to make sure the room can be easily converted into another use (storage, shop, rustic cabin, etc...) in the event something happens and I can't play drums anymore.

Right before COVID, Nick (LivigDeadDrummer) had a gig opening for Doken so I went to check it out.

Mick Brown just looked haggard. He looked like a guy who generally drank too much and partied too hard.

After all, this is the same guy who was arrested in 2012

Ted Nugent‘s drummer faces several charges after police in Bangor, Maine, say he was seen driving drunk in a golf cart stolen from a concert venue.

Officers working at Nugent’s Sunday night concert at the city’s waterfront pavilion were told that 55-year-old Mick Brown was intoxicated, had stolen the cart and was driving it recklessly on a foot path.

So as much as I am sure the pain is indeed a huge factor, I have to also think that too much partying and generally not taking care of his body contributed to it.

On the other hand, I don't much blame him. At the show, Don Doken can't sing anymore. He had the fill-in bass player hitting all the high notes for him. It was only 1/2 of the original 4 members performing that night. And while it was a large club, the venue was only 1/2 full.

So, if you have the money, why not retire and avoid the embarrassment of playing to 1/2 empty venues with a singer who can't perform anymore?

A shame though. While I was never much of a fan of Doken, I admired Don Doken's ability to sing and the harmonies the band as a whole was able to produce back in the day.

Right before COVID, Nick (LivigDeadDrummer) had a gig opening for Doken so I went to check it out.

Mick Brown just looked haggard. He looked like a guy who generally drank too much and partied too hard.

After all, this is the same guy who was arrested in 2012

So as much as I am sure the pain is indeed a huge factor, I have to also think that too much partying and generally not taking care of his body contributed to it.

On the other hand, I don't much blame him. At the show, Don Doken can't sing anymore. He had the fill-in bass player hitting all the high notes for him. It was only 1/2 of the original 4 members performing that night. And while it was a large club, the venue was only 1/2 full.

So, if you have the money, why not retire and avoid the embarrassment of playing to 1/2 empty venues with a singer who can't perform anymore?

A shame though. While I was never much of a fan of Doken, I admired Don Doken's ability to sing and the harmonies the band as a whole was able to produce back in the day.
It must be amazing for you to sell out our every club you play. The appeal of Dokken (two Ks) has become more selective.

Back