Sean Reinert

pubbey

Anybody out there heard about Sean Reinert?He's a brilliant drummer that combines death-metal(well,used to)with extremely intelligent fusion and sophisticated playing..Check out his band Cynic!!Along with Vinnie and Dave hes my favorite drummer!

Re: Sean Reinert!!

Ah yes......Sean Reinert!

He and Tomas Haake are my inspiration.

I just wish Cynic was still around!

I hope Meshuggah sticks around for a few more years. They're like the last "God Fathers" left still standing.

Re: Sean Reinert!!

Sean Reinert is on my A-list, no doubt about it. He blows my mind, the way he combines sheer aggression - some in-your-face double bass phrases- with some swinging yet solid fills... it's pure genius.
Actually, being an extreme-metal fan, I love Cynic in general because they don't sacrifice their "edge" for the sake of technical achievement. When Sean plays something aggressive, he sounds like he means it, and plays it "with honesty" not because he thinks he should' ve...
It has to do with dynamics, I guess but I'm not someone to tell for sure anyway...

I was also glad to read that Sean Reinert is among the self-admitted infulencies of Chris Pennie of The Dillinger Escape Plan.

I love Cynic (and Death) but I haven't heart anything from Aghora. I know their not quite close to metal but anyone tell me about Reinert's drumming? Is it "softer" so as to fit for the music in Aghora?

Sean is a FREAK!
Just...freakish.

As difficult as it is to choose one supreme drummer above all others, Sean Reinert would have to be my favourite. His drumming on Cynic's Focus is simply mind blowing. It fits perfectly at all times, yet still manages to sound very free. He very seldom ever plays straight 8th's or 16th's on the ride or hi-hats but instead tends to swing the pattern and make it a lot more intricate. Finally, his grooving hi-hat and ride/hi-hat combos in the jazz/fusion moments is just unbelieveable. Ugh, all this thinking about his drumming makes me want to go practice.

Good to see some fellow reinhart fans, his drumming is always intricate and interesting, definitely one of the best metal drummers out there. You should all go and listen to the new aghora album 'Formless' the performance he puts in is jaw dropping! All the stuff he's done for Gordian Knot is pretty special too. It's such a shame that there aren't any decent quality videos of him floating about on the interslice.

Oh and apparently cynic are reforming for a tour:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/interviews/259046-cynic-legend-reborn.html

Awesome thanks for posting that, finally there are some decent vid's of sean's playing on the interweb :D

I saw cynic live a few months ago, freakin awesome stuff!

I really don't think Sean Reinert gets the recognition he deserves. His playing so tasteful, especially considering that he mainly plays metal and rock. Reinert uses a lot of swung rhythms ("Secret Face" by Death, from the Human album), odd/complicated patterns (check out any of his work with Death or Cynic), and he has awesome double bass chops (again, check out any of his work with Death). To me, he is highly unrecognized in his field, though drummers like Chris Pennie have cited him as an influence.

- Marc

I think by the fact I mention him in every second thread a few people might have figured out that he is my idol.

You don't get endorsed by Sonor by being a bad drummer.

Yeah, it's a shame he made the switch to Tama. His Sonor kit was beautiful and sounded amazing.

I'm anticipating his new DVD, he is awesome.

Yeah, it's a shame he made the switch to Tama. His Sonor kit was beautiful and sounded amazing.

I'm anticipating his new DVD, he is awesome.

Tama are probably the most popular make of metal drums at the moment. A lot of really big metal drummers right now are playing Tama kits. I've noticed Meinl cymbals increasing in popularity as well. It was a kind of odd move though, especially given that Cynic are moving out of the realm of metal now into pretty much pure new-prog/avant jazz

Back