New Drum set?

Adam Bourque

Hi, I just got a Ludwig Element drum set 1Year ago, but I was wondering if I should save up my money and get a PDP or DW Drum kit. (btw. Are PDP and DW Drum kits same thing?)

Thanks, or should I just save up for better Cymbals? (I just have Zbt Cymbals)

Hey man,

I bought a DW kit when I was 14 (2004) with all the money I had made mowing lawns, delivering papers, etc..

They were gorgeous and they sounded incredible. As a result I played more and became a much more dedicated drummer. If you feel invested in your kit, you're going to identify yourself as a drummer and you will become a better drummer through more practice. So, I am a huge proponent in buying a kit that you can use for gigs and recordings because that way you will work harder to realize the skills that will enable you to do those things.

Unfortunately, in my case, I got a year and a half out of them before I started boarding school and then college. These external circumstances stifled my use of these drums (which sat in their place at home for 5 years) and now I have a different kit my dad (a drummer) gave me to use. The good news for everyone else is that there's a beautiful kit for sale at an absurd price.

Check out the deal I have over in the classifieds (newest one - last page)

That's a bundle package and price but I'm willing to break it up to supply you with whatever you may like. Ie - the shell pack for this 5 piece DW, gibraltar rack, PDP 805 side snare plus stand, and Trick 13x7" Aluminum RPM snare with DW 5003 snare stand - 2200 (ish - looking for an offer!).

Like I said - give the classifieds a look!

Best,
Chris

Honestly if you don't have that much look at upgrading cymbals. you can change the sound of your drums easily but unless you put cracks or holes in your cymbals you wont really be able to cahnge the sound. I got my first new cymbal a few weeks back, up until now all i had was paiste 502 hi hat crash and ride. The new cymbal is a 2002 Wild china, it sounds great and has enabled me to do a lot more withmy drumming. my sound has changed just from adding one cymbal. Unless you are completely happy with your ZBTs I recommend looking into a new cymbal pack or higher end cymbal

Start with new pies!
Cymbals will set you free my friend.
I play many inexpensive drum kits with no problem
I can't play cheap cymbals.
I can tune any drum to sound good, I can't tune a cymbal!

You will want to get a better kit someday, But cymbals are more important to opening you up to better sounds from your kit right now.

Last edited:
Hi, I just got a Ludwig Element drum set 1Year ago, but I was wondering
I'd stick with that set for another year, or two, or three.
if I should save up my money and
You should always be saving money. That way, when a good deal does come your way, you can grab it.
get a PDP or DW Drum kit. (btw. Are PDP and DW Drum kits same thing?)
Same company owns both (DW), but different factories produce each. DW is US made. PDP's are made in Mexico.
Thanks, or should I just save up for better Cymbals? (I just have Zbt Cymbals)
Cymbal upgrade, yes. But figure out "your" sound, first. Shop around, look for deals ... and play every cymbal you can.

+1 for cymbals..its been said more then once but worth repeating you can make those drums you have sound real nice with the right heads and tuning, however zbt's are beginner cymbals and you cant make them sound better... you should look into used pies I would start with a good crash (maybe an A Custom then go ride then hats.....I put them in this order due to the zbt hats for some reason (IMO) have a decsent pro cymbal like sound to them..

Back