Noob Question - Sping Tension

Omnivium

If my spring tension is at the maximum my beater will be further away from the bass drum right? Or if the beater is close to the bass drum is that maximum spring tension?

I adjusted my tension and the beater is further away from the bass drum and I can hit it much faster. What would that mean my spring tension is at?

Thanks guys!

If the beater is further from the batter head, and you can play faster, then your tension is loose, bro. I play with my pedals at a very VERY low tension. I like being able to just drop my foot, and send the beater into the head. In spite of the speeds I reach, I play with a very relaxed feel in my feet.

Most people prefer a happy medium, because while low tension is easier, it means the beaters are slower on the rebound. So if you wanna play fast, tighten it just to the point that you're still comfortable, but also have a quick rebound.

Or you can play how I do, with the tensions really loose, and just make-up for the lack of rebound with development of technique. It's all up to you! So play with the tension and see what feels right. Good luck bro!

If my spring tension is at the maximum my beater will be further away from the bass drum right? Or if the beater is close to the bass drum is that maximum spring tension?

I adjusted my tension and the beater is further away from the bass drum and I can hit it much faster. What would that mean my spring tension is at?

Thanks guys!

If the beater is being pulled back it means you are adding tension. Whether or not it's at full tension only you can tell because you won't be able to tighten the tension adjuster any further lol. If you have a seperate beater adjustment you can have max tension and have the beater closer or further away, same with a loose tension but generally with a loose tension you want it as far back as you can without hitting the top of your foot so that you can still get a rebound out of the beater. If it's too close while loose it's not going to do much at all, at least not with these 3000's lol!

Unless you are mic'd you are going to want some distance between your bass drum and beater so you can actually hear it. The other reason would be for feel as well. I like to feel a lot of mass being thrown against the bass drum head and don't like short weak throws.

If the beater is being pulled back it means you are adding tension. Whether or not it's at full tension only you can tell because you won't be able to tighten the tension adjuster any further lol. If you have a seperate beater adjustment you can have max tension and have the beater closer or further away, same with a loose tension but generally with a loose tension you want it as far back as you can without hitting the top of your foot so that you can still get a rebound out of the beater. If it's too close while loose it's not going to do much at all, at least not with these 3000's lol!

Unless you are mic'd you are going to want some distance between your bass drum and beater so you can actually hear it. The other reason would be for feel as well. I like to feel a lot of mass being thrown against the bass drum head and don't like short weak throws.

So pretty much if my beater is all the way back that is maximum tension? Thanks sorry for my nooby questions lol

Between Sticks and my explanations, I don't really see how it can be explained any better? What kind of pedal do you have?

Just making sure of what? By your last post it seems you are still not getting it. Like I say maximum tension is with the tension adjustment screwed all the way as tight as it will go. If you can manually adjust the beater and bring it back you will be adding even more tension. If you move it forward past the middle point, you will relieve some tension but the spring tension adjuster will be at it's maximum setting still.

Again, what pedal do you have?

DV016_Jpg_Large_443630.jpg

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PDP-SP400-Single-Pedal-100857754-i1137532.gc

Is it this one here? Or is it close to this one? I don't know how many series of pedals PDP has went through over the years but I'm sure it's close if not the exact one. This pedal only seems to have one possible adjustment and that is the tension adjuster on the side. So yes in your case if the adjuster is as tight as it can go, then yes it's at maximum tension and the beater is as far back as it will go. See with these budget pedals, they set them at a median setting in the factory to where the beater will not be too close nor too far when adjusting the tension. Also don't be affraid to post up what you use, I'm not here to pass judgement on you or anyone else, no matter if it's budget drum equipment or if a budget camera was used to take pictures of your setup. To be honest I too was going to go with a PDP pedal. I was going to go with the 502 double which is the double chain version, though they were out of stock and didn't know when or if it was coming back in. So I ended up getting the DW 3000's which wasn't a bad choice but isn't great either LOL! They had them new and on the shelf so I said screw it I'll get it.

So with that said, yes if the adjuster is as tight as it will go, that is maximum tension and that is as far back as the beater will go. This also goes for the 402 double pedal. All you will be able to adjust is the tension on the main and slave pedals, you won't be able to adjust beater angle.

PDP

DV016_Jpg_Large_443630.jpg

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PDP-SP400-Single-Pedal-100857754-i1137532.gc

Is it this one here? Or is it close to this one? I don't know how many series of pedals PDP has went through over the years but I'm sure it's close if not the exact one. This pedal only seems to have one possible adjustment and that is the tension adjuster on the side. So yes in your case if the adjuster is as tight as it can go, then yes it's at maximum tension and the beater is as far back as it will go. See with these budget pedals, the set them at a median setting in the factory to where the beater will not be too close nor too far when adjusting the tension. Also don't be affraid to post up what you use, I'm not here to pass judgement on you or anyone else, no matter if it's budget drum equipment or if a budget camera was used to take pictures of your setup. To be honest I too was going to go with a PDP pedal. I was going to go with the 502 double which is the double chain version, though they were out of stock and didn't know when or if it was coming back in. So I ended up getting the DW 3000's which wasn't a bad choice but isn't great either LOL!

So with that said, yes if the adjuster is as tight as it will go, that is maximum tension and that is as far back as the beater will go. This also goes for the 402 double pedal. All you will be able to adjust is the tension on the main and slave pedals, you won't be able to adjust beater angle.

PDP

Thanks! I don't have any problem posting my kit lol bought off my friends whose sister barley played it and I got it for cheap, drumming is something I've always wanted to do and here I am. Also the pedal is much much older haha

lol I see, well no problem and that's cool! Glad you were able to get something at least. So yeah if there is no way to adjust the beater on that older model, then what I said about the above pedal apply's the same way. Also you're welcome. :)

Dude! Ok now this helps, if you take a look at the top of the tension adjustment, where the spring hooks onto, you will see a screw that you can loosen or tighten with a drum key! I believe you can loosen that, pull the beater back and then tighten it to where you want it to be. Try it and see and maybe post a picture if it works!! Here is an edited picture of what I am talking about.....

EDIT: You may even be able to adjust the chain length as well with the drum key, notice the screw on the chain next to the beater as well. Though try the beater adjustment first.

Attachments

• IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 795
Everything else is, and it's the pedal that kit with the kit when it was originally purchased and it's old, what pedal does it look like?

It looks sort of like an old Pearl pedal but I believe that's an old PDP beater. If you look in this picture, you will see it looks just like the one you have. It very well could be an older PDP model pedal.

hw-feat-accessories.jpg

Dude! Ok now this helps, if you take a look at the top of the tension adjustment, where the spring hooks onto, you will see a screw that you can loosen or tighten with a drum key! I believe you can loosen that, pull the beater back and then tighten it to where you want it to be. Try it and see and maybe post a picture if it works!! Here is an edited picture of what I am talking about.....

EDIT: You may even be able to adjust the chain length as well with the drum key, notice the screw on the chain next to the beater as well. Though try the beater adjustment first.

I could try that, when I adjust the tension the beater moves, does that have it where I can have it at a certain tension and then place the beater where ever I'd like? Like I said, I'm a noob with this, completely new to this lol. It's not a big deal at all right now though. How much are drum keys if you know?

Yeah (so much for me saying I'd bet it's close to the 400 series single pedal HA lol!) that should be the adjustment for the angle of the beater which gives you quite a bit of settings and fine tuning adjustments. You can tighten down or loosen that tension adjuster that's attached to the spring and then when you loosen that screw that I showed you, you can move the beater back and forth, at least I think you'll be able to. Cause yeah the beater is quite close to the bass drum head and now I know why you are so hung up on the maximum possible distance when the tension is at max. In order to get a bit more distance you'll have to loosen that screw and pull the beater back toward you. As for a standard drum key, can't be more than a couple dollars? Here you go, a two pack for $7 just incase you misplace one. Best to always have more than one cause they get away from ya lol!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Percussion-Drum-Key--2-Pack-105766208-i1502821.gc

Also yeah no problem, we were all noobs at one point, I'm glad to help in any way that I can even though I'm an 8 month old noob as well with 3 years prior experience when I was about 14 or so lol! Also those PDP's look to be in great condition, the wood inside looks well taken care of as well as the wrap and hardware! I'd say clean them up, build upon them and enjoy while learning! Learn to tune them, play, different ways to set up etc. Very cool to see another PDP player!

Yeah (so much for me saying I'd bet it's close to the 400 series single pedal HA lol!) that should be the adjustment for the angle of the beater which gives you quite a bit of settings and fine tuning adjustments. You can tighten down or loosen that tension adjuster that's attached to the spring and then when you loosen that screw that I showed you, you can move the beater back and forth, at least I think you'll be able to. Cause yeah the beater is quite close to the bass drum head and now I know why you are so hung up on the maximum possible distance when the tension is at max. In order to get a bit more distance you'll have to loosen that screw and pull the beater back toward you. As for a standard drum key, can't be more than a couple dollars? Here you go, a two pack for $7 just incase you misplace one. Best to always have more than one cause they get away from ya lol!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Percussion-Drum-Key--2-Pack-105766208-i1502821.gc

Also yeah no problem, we were all noobs at one point, I'm glad to help in any way that I can even though I'm an 8 month old noob as well with 3 years prior experience when I was about 14 or so lol! Also those PDP's look to be in great condition, the wood inside looks well taken care of as well as the wrap and hardware! I'd say clean them up, build upon them and enjoy while learning! Learn to tune them, play, different ways to set up etc. Very cool to see another PDP player!

It's like 2 3/4" away, don't know if that's a little or a lot, could have been the angle of the picture lol, but I just adjusted the tension today and was messing around with it, getting a good feel and what not, but I'm picking up the double bass pedal the 12th

Back