Tommy Aldridge

MunsieMan

The king of double bass...the first time i saw Tommy was at a drum clinic in Oshawa at the time i wasnt really in to drumming but now i wish i had paid more attention. Ive been playing Boom Boom (Out Go The Lights) alot and i cant really copy Aldridges style but its close. Anyone have comments on the king of double bass?

Last edited:
Next to Bonham, my favorite drummer of all time. Saw kim with Ozzy 4 times, but was never lucky enough to catch a clinic. I've also been on a quest to find his second video-one of the guys over on the Pearl forum made me a DVD of the first one, but I'm still looking for the second. Anyone know if he's still doing clinics and if so, where can you find a schedule? His website hasn't been updated in ages.

Tommy Aldridge is a great drummer. I saw him at a Ted Nugent concert and he was great. It was the last time I will see the Nuge in Ohio because of the noise ordinence. Tommy had a 20 minute drum solo. It was among the best solos I have seen. Half way through the solo he threw his sticks into the crowd and did the solo with his hands. I was amazed that he could generate so much sound out of the drums and cymbals without sticks. When the song kicked back in he was hoding his hands leaning over his snare in pain. They played for three hours strait. I love the sound of his drums. He is the king of double-bass. He has thosed Yamaha bass subkicks. They give his bass such a boom. He is a great drummer.

ya he is an amazing drummer Whitesnake played at the Docks in Toronto to bad you have to be 19 i was pissed when i heard that i got to go see him play live at a drum clinic awhile back it was awsome

I first saw Tommy Aldridge drumming for Black Oak Arkansas. Playing a clear maple Ludwig kit modified with Rogers hardware. He certainly raised the bar on double-bass rock playing. Got to meet him several years ago and what a nice dude also.

Tommy was the first rock drummer I ever saw perform live. Black Oak Arkansas was the opener for Grand Funk at the old (and now gone) Atlanta Stadium around 1970. Was too far up in the stands to see what kit he was playing - just remember it was big. They put on a good show with a lot of humor. Wasn't sure what to think at the time as it was my first concert and a real sensory overload.
A few years later, I really got into his playing on that double B.O.A. live album. Remember there was a good extended drum solo of his that I played over and over again.

Seem to remember he played and endorsed the Premier 'Projector ' line in the late '80s. I've got a soft spot for those drums - they're the ones I play now.

I saw Tommy yesterday in Lisbon in a Whitsnake concert.
Tommy performed wonderfully.
His solo was great and i enjoyed a lot.
An excellent drummer indeed.
Coverdale still an enormous singer and the whole group in a very good plan. But Tommy?
Just great, unforgettable...
My drum hello for everibody in the Forum!
Hans Freitass

I saw Tommy this past NAMM show at the Yamaha Groove Night. He and others like Gadd, Weckl and Keith Carlock did a song with a great band. He played the Whitesnake song "Crying In The Rain" and he absolutely stole the show. He played with such intensity and confidence that he blew the crowd away. He was so good that I heard later backstage both Gadd and Weckl bowed in front in him saying "We're not worthy!" It was all anyone spoke about later.

I loved Tommys work with Pat Travers, my band played Gettin Betta and we tried to work up Makes No Difference but I couldn't play double kick at that speed. That was back in 1979.
Tommy is a true drumming pioneer.
Mike

I remember Tommy Aldridge from Cal Jam in 1974.B.O.A were on the bill and Tommy was clearly the best musician in that band.He certainly held his own on a bill that also included the likes of Ian Paice,Carl Palmer and the Santana Percussionists,but the thing I remember most was singer Jim Dandy Mangrum's goofy comments during the drum solo: "alright..play them knuckles..." Huh?

Tommy is wonderful. Mainly in a live setting. I've seen him twice with Whitesnake and I cannot think of anyone more impressive than Tommy in the hard rock world. Not even Carmine Appice whom I saw live with Ozzy in 1983 opening for Whitesnake with Cozy Powell on drums.

The "hands" section in his solo is a classic and he's been doing it for years. There is a new Whitesnake CD/DVD - "Live In the Still Of The Night" - that features some amazing drumming from Tommy.

A friend of mine was MD and two others played/attended (they're top L.A. cats) for the Yamaha Groove Night at the NAMM 2006 and they all commented how impressive Tommy was. To impress those guys, one must be doing something right ! :)

Tommy to me is hands down the best hard rock drummer of all time.

I saw him with BOA some time in the late 70's. What a career he's had...and still going strong...!

I just watched the Whitesnake Live dvd/ In The Still of The Night (2004). Overall very good. Tommy plays like typical Tommy...........double bass everywhere...........most of the songs had it in the originals though. Drum solo; half sticks, half hands. He sounded great on the whole thing. David Coverdale sounded great. Mid fifties ( as Tommy is) and still kicks ass. Surprised to see Reb Beach (Winger) playing guitar.
16 songs plus a drum solo. Worth the 14.95. For 24.95 you get the dvd and a cd of 10 of the songs performed.

I like his playing on "Speak of the Devil" live album

Oh yes! He's awesome on that album! I've learned so much from him by learning that album. Then came his video.... I was in heaven! You can hear it in my playing still.
He is my main influence and so is Mikkey Dee.

Tommy's web site http://www.tommyaldridge.com/

Last edited:
Tommy Aldridge is a great drummer and nice too...I emailed him once and he took the time to email back!!! That is one of my greatest drumming moments!

Back