Less Snare and More Drum?

McShmoopy

Hey guys, I want to get Puresound Equaliser snare wires for my Snare Drum as I want a more natural sound, my snare makes a great sound but I feel the snares still influence it alot. I would prefer a sound where the overtones of the snare dominated it more then the wires. its a bit hard to explain.

Would Puresounds do this for me?

This is the kind of sound im hoping to achieve, as my drum does sound almost the same, exlcuding the snares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2PMLTxKA3k&feature=related

Some of the oldtimers will be able to help you more with this but I'll throw my two cents in for what it's worth. That snare sounds very dry, I'd recommend a dry head or a moongel for that dry sound.

To me it sounds as if it has no snares or they are so tight they are choked. The top head is also cranked tight. Not sure what sound you are looking for but I wouldn't want it to be that sound.

i know my work computer has terrible sound but...

that didn't sound good at all, perhaps if he hit it with a cat or something it might give it some personality...

My impression is that it's the internal mic. mounted inside the snare drum making the big difference.

If you want to hear 'more drum and less snare' then you may want to try these... http://www.lamusic.ca/Puresound-C1412-Snare-Wires-p/c1412.htm

I find that is what they basically do account of the small number (12) of snare strands. I get a more woody sound from my maple snare using them. Good luck!

I have to agree, both heads too tight, the snares are too. Really it sounds to me like the snare needs more of the snare sound. I can hear the body of the drum just fine.

I didn't realize it was an internal mic, but Jeremy may be on to something. That may be part of what you're hearing on the recording. The internal mic might not pick up the stick-on-the-head part of the sound as well.

Anyway, the Puresound Equalizers are made the way they are primarily to reduce the snare buzz resonating with your toms while recording.

To sum up: Experiment with the mic. Also think about experimenting with different heads. Really work on the tuning. Just about any snare drum can sound good if all the fundamentals are in place.

All the same, like the song....like the drum part. Keep goin.

I like this type of sound myself, and I use it quite often. Depends on the music.
Not for everyone, but so what, and that's what having more than 1 snare, or 1 type of snare is for.

A 6.5 or 7" deep wood drum with a Coated CS batter semi-tight is going to get that type of sound easily.
The snares might even be really loose. With a room mic, you'll not hear the snares rattling. Alone, you hear it, but with a band you don't at all.

He's also hitting off center, and off the dot, which get's that "tonk" sound, and if you crank the bottom head, and have the top not as cranked you can get this sound.
You can also change the tone of the "tonk" by adjusting the lug nearest to where you hit to get that sound.
Less wires will work too, like 16 or 12 if you want a "snare" sound that's more "normal".
I usually get that type of sound easier with plain old 20 strand wires.
Experiment on a set of wires you might not care about. Just cut one off each side until you get the amount of "snare" you want.

Why not email the guy and ask what he did? His info is only a click away after all.

I like this type of sound myself, and I use it quite often. Depends on the music.
Not for everyone, but so what, and that's what having more than 1 snare, or 1 type of snare is for.

A 6.5 or 7" deep wood drum with a Coated CS batter semi-tight is going to get that type of sound easily.
The snares might even be really loose. With a room mic, you'll not hear the snares rattling. Alone, you hear it, but with a band you don't at all.

He's also hitting off center, and off the dot, which get's that "tonk" sound, and if you crank the bottom head, and have the top not as cranked you can get this sound.
You can also change the tone of the "tonk" by adjusting the lug nearest to where you hit to get that sound.
Less wires will work too, like 16 or 12 if you want a "snare" sound that's more "normal".
I usually get that type of sound easier with plain old 20 strand wires.
Experiment on a set of wires you might not care about. Just cut one off each side until you get the amount of "snare" you want.

Why not email the guy and ask what he did? His info is only a click away after all.

haha Ill try emailing him for sure, Ive got a CB Steel Snare (Eeek yeah I know) But it does sound pretty exact, I could try the Puresound Equalisers? However I do like your idea of cutting wires off! So I may give that a go...:D

It does has 12 strings and I also do have a snare buzz problem, not really with the drum set but when Im playing with guitars it just messes things up. What you guys think?

Btw I have a Controlled Sound Head and a Remo Hazy 300 head on my snare, theyre cranked up by quite a bit.

I like that sound too. I have a simple way to get a 'more drum than snare' sound which is to slip a thin piece of card between the snares and the bottom head! Surprisingly effective, and less permanent than cutting your snare wires. Put a small fold at in each end to stop it falling out though :D

I like that sound too. I have a simple way to get a 'more drum than snare' sound which is to slip a thin piece of card between the snares and the bottom head! Surprisingly effective, and less permanent than cutting your snare wires. Put a small fold at in each end to stop it falling out though :D

Agh Bonzo! Why did I decide to check this thread out now ;( Ill have to try that in the future though.

Back