Tommy Aldridge

Tommy Aldridge is a great drummer and nice too...I emailed him once and he took the time to email back!!! That is one of my greatest drumming moments!

Did you email him through his web site?

Tommy is a great drummer and influence to a lot of drummers. A double bass master back in the day and now. The problem is that now w/the likes of, Lang, Minnimen, Donati, and Grant Collins they have taken double bass to a new extreme. And Jordison, Roddy, Adler and many more have extreme speed. So by todays standards, as great as Tommy is he could get looked at as average along w/ Alex Van Halen, Deen Castronova, Gregg Bissonette and others that have used it well but not gone to the extremes.
Still, Tommy is a big influence to many, many drummers. Myself included.

Tommy is a great drummer and influence to a lot of drummers. A double bass master back in the day and now. The problem is that now w/the likes of, Lang, Minnimen, Donati, and Grant Collins they have taken double bass to a new extreme. And Jordison, Roddy, Adler and many more have extreme speed. So by todays standards, as great as Tommy is he could get looked at as average along w/ Alex Van Halen, Deen Castronova, Gregg Bissonette and others that have used it well but not gone to the extremes.
Still, Tommy is a big influence to many, many drummers. Myself included.

Ummm, Speed isn't everything. Where he places patterens and how he places them are awesome! It's his feel I guess.

Ummm, Speed isn't everything. Where he places patterens and how he places them are awesome! It's his feel I guess.

Ummmm, Exactly my point! Im not into the speed and the extreme independence thing. If you have it more power to you. I was making a point that of how extreme drummers have taken things, you rarely hear Tommy's name as an influence anymore.

I've heard a lot of good things about Tommy Aldridge. I actually called a music store about 90 miles away to ask them a question, and they wanted to let me know that Tommy will be coming through on a tour. I'm definitely going to try to be there. Anybody ever been to a clinic with Tommy?

I've heard a lot of good things about Tommy Aldridge. I actually called a music store about 90 miles away to ask them a question, and they wanted to let me know that Tommy will be coming through on a tour. I'm definitely going to try to be there. Anybody ever been to a clinic with Tommy?

Yes I have. In 1991. I was 22. I had been playing for 4 years at that point. He was great. Everyone was blown away. The most interesting thing about it was a kid in the audience (about 11 years old) asked Tommy (cant remember word for word) why he cant or doesnt play like Neil Peart. And I believe why he doesnt play alot of percussion. Tommy went on to say that Neil was not a percussion played like Alex Acuna. And then said, Gregg Bissonette is not John Bonham. Gregg's my favorite drummer and I had a lesson w/him that day, and at first I thought he was ragging on Gregg. Then I realized, he was saying that everyone has something to offer and because one doesnt play like another does not make that drummer a bad drummer. Anyway, alot of great hand/foot patterns and just great hard rock drumming.
Do what you can to make it to the clinic.

Yes I have. In 1991. I was 22. I had been playing for 4 years at that point. He was great. Everyone was blown away. The most interesting thing about it was a kid in the audience (about 11 years old) asked Tommy (cant remember word for word) why he cant or doesnt play like Neil Peart. And I believe why he doesnt play alot of percussion. Tommy went on to say that Neil was not a percussion played like Alex Acuna. And then said, Gregg Bissonette is not John Bonham. Gregg's my favorite drummer and I had a lesson w/him that day, and at first I thought he was ragging on Gregg. Then I realized, he was saying that everyone has something to offer and because one doesnt play like another does not make that drummer a bad drummer. Anyway, alot of great hand/foot patterns and just great hard rock drumming.
Do what you can to make it to the clinic.

I am going to try my hardest to make it there. I've never been to a clinic before. I've always wanted to go to one, but never can make it since I basically live in between Oklahoma City and Dallas, Tx. But ya, I checked out some of the albums he's drummed on and read your post. It should be great. I'd like to be able to sit down and play and have him critique :)....but I doubt that will happen. Thanks for the post.

I am going to try my hardest to make it there. I've never been to a clinic before. I've always wanted to go to one, but never can make it since I basically live in between Oklahoma City and Dallas, Tx. But ya, I checked out some of the albums he's drummed on and read your post. It should be great. I'd like to be able to sit down and play and have him critique :)....but I doubt that will happen. Thanks for the post.

First off, I just looked at your kit. No kidding, I am ordering that same kit and color in the next month. I am getting the kit w/out hardware. 8(free) 10, 12, 14 &16 toms and 22 bass. Love the color.
You should enjoy the clinic if you go. He's a heavy rock drummer. Get there early for a good seat. Check out Whitesnake's live dvd "In The Still of The Night". 16 songs and Tommy's solo.

Ummmm, Exactly my point! Im not into the speed and the extreme independence thing. If you have it more power to you. I was making a point that of how extreme drummers have taken things, you rarely hear Tommy's name as an influence anymore.

I didn't get that. That's cool. I guess I don't follow the extreme drummers like others.
I guess that's what happens when you start to get old. LOL

I didn't get that. That's cool. I guess I don't follow the extreme drummers like others.
I guess that's what happens when you start to get old. LOL

Im 38 myself and grew up listening to 80's guys, Peart, Alex V.H., Tommy, Tommy Lee, Gregg Bissonett my favorite, Rod Morgenstein another favorite, Randy Castillo, Deen Castronovo, Nicko and so on. I dont follow the extreme guys either. I do admire some of the stuff, but I like drummers that I can take ideas from. The extreme guys are a little over the top for me. They are incredible. But there are MANY, MANY drummers that arent that Extreme that are incredible.

I discovered TA on House of lords` "demons down". I love his style and he´ll inspire me as long as i´m gonna be able to hold a pair of sticks;-)

Dear drummers,

I watch a video of Tommy Aldridge playing drums on "the Boys are back in town"
of Thin Lizzy, they way he played was inspiring and motivating. I admire his freelance spirit within drummers.

Thanks & Regards.

I was just on Tommy's website and it showed his gear as being w/Zildjian. Does anyone know if he is back w/Zildjian??? I could have sworn that I didnt realize he switched to Paiste till it was on his site one time. I put his name in the search on Zildjians site and it showed nothing. Anybody know???

was just on his site and it says hes playing paiste

Tommy Aldridge is awesome, period. I Think there are so many drummers into the new extreme and speed metal guys that would totally appreciate what Tommy does. I just don't think they've been exposed to him.
The live Pat Travers record is a classic and also the live Ozzy stuff. I feel very lucky that my drum teacher turned me onto players and records like this when I was a kid.

Seem to remember he played and endorsed the Premier 'Projector ' line in the late '80s. I've got a soft spot for those drums - they're the ones I play now.

Sorry Loge, Tommy played Sonor, then went to Yamaha and has been with them ever since. The big red ones he used on the Voelker cage were Yamaha Recording Customs. He then switched to the carbon fiber line with the gold "x" rack.

Tommy is one of the nicest guys in music.

Yep, I'm a fan......

From the Whitesnake '87 tour..
Tommy Aldridge 21.jpg

Look familiar?...
Humboldt 7.jpg

Back