Brits Beware

Good.

My feeling is that this does not solve the issue.

In a perfect world, money goes from the consumer to the artist.

In a less than perfect world, money goes from a consumer to a retailer to a distributer to a record company to the artist.

In the real world, money goes from the consumer to the government (in the form of taxes) to pay the police to monitor and prevent copyright infringement. The infringer now makes slightly less money from corporate sponsors. The artist is excluded entirely. Consumers get popup warnings but still have completely unfettered access to material. When the police turn up the heat, consumers simply use freenet.

Anything that does not facilitate the flow of money from consumer to artist is a loser.

I'm with KamaK - until the site is shutdown, this isn't doing much and I doubt the attrition of ad funds will kill a site completely.

It's a step in the right direction but might be as "effective" as the angry letters the ISPs started sending to consumers suspected of illegally downloading copyright material.

I'm with KamaK - until the site is shutdown, this isn't doing much and I doubt the attrition of ad funds will kill a site completely.

I'm not even sure that shutting down the site is the right answer. For me, it's about the money. There's money changing hands. That money needs to go to the copyright holders, not the infringers, the police, the ISP, Apple, or those that facilitate infringement. If the money disappears into our pockets, the facilitators will disappear.

While I don't have any solutions, I have this horrible feeling that I'm one of the few with a crystal clear idea of what the goal should be.

Back