What kind of drummer are you?

Musician Drummer

I say that because I always seem to be at my peak when playing in a group and feeding off of the ideas of others. It's also when I feel the most comfortable behind the kit.

I tend to see different kinds of drummers as in mentality, all with different profiles and habits, here are some which I identified (in my opinion):

Rhythm/Chop Drummer:

The aim is to be able to play really good chops and have a brilliant technique. Also he doesn't really pay attention to small details as long as the groove in the song sounds good.

Musician Drummer:

This kind of drummer is the one that wants to know exactly what he's doing, usually he is able to read music and understands what the other instruments are doing. He might not be obsessed with technique as the rhythm drummer but is more focussed on playing the right thing at the exact right time.

Gear Drummer:

This is the drummer that most of all cares about how much or what gear he has. The first thing that comes to his mind is the setup, and how many cymbals, toms etc. he has. He mayh still be a very good drummer though.

One Style Drummer:

This is the kind of drummer that is only focussed on one style for example rock, and does not consider to play anything else besides his style. He listen only to his style and usually looks at other styles of music as a totally different world from his.

Jack of All Trades:

The name I gave it might be misleading. This is a very versatile drummer that focusses on achieving an authentic sound for each style without the necessity of mastering any. He is able to play numerous styles without sticking to one.

These are just a few........Which one of these are you and can you identify any other kinds of drummers?

I would be more of a jack of all trades.

How about you? Since you're asking us, why don't you tell us what kind of drummer you think you are?

Impuse drummer

I play along to pretty much anything i'll listen, Opeth to Alphabeat, Battles to Kayo Dot.
I know very little of the technical side to drums, i cant read music, nor have i ever had a lesson.
Most of my drumming is improvised, either along to music or with my band, and my drum parts to them are created as we practise the song for the 1st time in practise.
I do what i like on the drums, because if i was ever taught anything i'd lose interest in playing within a few months.
Not Jack of all trades as like mallendion said, i dont consider myself good enough.
I wouldn't even consider myself a drummer, just someone who f**ks about on the drums.

So by special request (you are right I must have been the first to answer this), here is what kind of drummer I think I am...

I see myself as a blend between the musician drummer and the jack of all trades. I tend to play lots of styles and also try to understand whats happening exactly.

Fat, clumsy and sweaty...with an alarming lack of musicianship and dubious timekeeping abilities...probably an unemployable jack of few trades....

Fat, clumsy and sweaty...with an alarming lack of musicianship and dubious timekeeping abilities...probably an unemployable jack of few trades....

ROFL, I am with the fat guy....especially since I am FAT as well! I am anal when it comes to things like this, I am a noob and I MUST, MUST know it all when it comes to music, I have to read it, know it, understand it, feel its nuances and then master it...so I am the kind of drummer who has a LONG WAY TO GO in a relatively short amount of time!

I have been considering the terms of "conceptual drummer" or "meta-drummer". I want some of aspects of drumming that I am contemplating and performing to enter a dialog with other behaviors like creating sculpture or sex.

Bad drummer.

Probably a musician drummer, I'm really into song writing in my band... also a gear drummer... I love me some gear.

ha... I've probably never seen a fat dude who played drums and was bad. they always seem to have insane groove......

oh and i consider myself mainly a musician drummer with a little bit of rhythm/chops in him. I think i have pretty good chops, a decent fill vocabulary, but i know when to hold back and i try to make the song sound as good as possible.

What kind? The good kind.

I tend to favor musicality over chops most of time. So, musical drummer. But I love my gear too.... tough to pick. I wish I could blur the lines like my favorite drummers do.

Im the type that drives people nuts with tapping my hands, sticks, pencils on any hard surface around me whenever i hear a song with a groove i even remotely like.

Back