Lost my double pedal groove

Hxcdrummer

Hey guys, so i just registered and i know it's a bad start but i really need answers from drummers!
So as the title says, i lost my double pedal groove. What i mean by that is i can't play like i used to a month ago. I used to have steady (not to fast not to slow) simultaneous double pedal hits and separation DP hits (Like most hardcore breakdowns have). But now to be honest... i can't play them at a 100%, and they get extremely sloppy. But mostly on simultaneous DP hits i always tend to loose my groove, like i can't stay steady anymore i keep on going too fast that my feet just stop after a few seconds lol. This started happening a week ago and it is so annoying!
I've been drumming for 8 years and only 3 years ago i started playing double pedal.
My Double Pedal is a "Tama Iron Cobra Power glide", i removed the cobra coil from it since the beginning because i wasn't comfortable with it at all.
So any suggestions? lol i want things to get back to normal :(

speaking for myself, i cant keep a beat with double pedals really. your not the only one. sometimes you have periods of time where you dont play as great as usual, its just natural, idk why

Take it easy. Usually the body is figuring something out during those periods of time. Just keep on, it'll all clear up.

*BUMP* did this happen to anyone before? need advice guys please don't ignore

Hi Hxc, welcome to the forum :)

8 years drumming and 3 years into double pedals, you're not what we'll call a beginner... so what's wrong??? ... without being rude it could the setting of your pedals, elementary you might say, but it could be just that, a little tweak here and there and bingo, you're right on the money again, of course it could be something else, but for the time it will take you to double check your settings, it's worth doing it.

Strangely enough, I did a thread today on this very topic, check it out, it might help, you never know.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93800

Let us know how you're getting on.

Not knowing how you work out is something worth discussing as well. Usually, and this is for all players (not just beginners) people just tackle things too fast too soon. In the scheme of things, three years on a double pedal is nothing compared to the decades someone like Louie Bellson has been playing double bass drums, or even someone like that guy from the band Dragon Force. I would suggest, in addition to checking your pedal set up, as MAD suggests, just slow down. Walk away for a bit too. It's always harder to groove slow than it is to groove fast, so I'd approach things super slow sometimes anyway, just to make sure my mechanics are still functioning the right way.

First off, thank you all for your replies. gave me goose bumps of joy to get so many replies from drummers lol!

@Arky & nirvanadrummer: I sure hope so, i'm gonna check the DP settings and adjust my seat by tomorrow like M.A.D said.

@M.A.D & Bo Eder: Thank you so much for your advice, i will check your post. And first thing tomorrow im getting on that drums and mess around with the DP! I will keep you guys updated if it didn't turn out to be the problem. Thanks guys!

Alright guys, so i just came back from my drum room and man i must admit things turned out pretty well at first but in the end it got kind of messy. Let me tell you real quick what i did today.

Okay so today, the first thing i did after i woke up was get on that drum set. I tried re-adjusting everything even the chair, but it turns out the old adjustments were better. So i practiced a bit of double pedal but didn't get anywhere near what i used to play. I did a 30 min drum solo, trying some new stuff but only using my right foot. Things went great of course lol.

So got back on drums around this hour, and man!! It was great at first, i had this adrenaline letting me play the things i used to play a month ago and doing new stuff that i never thought i could do (ex: rattling on time). But after like 25 min of drumming my feet just stopped... completely shut. I push and i push hard to get them back to the way they were, but nothing. It's like my feet just shut down on the double pedal lol. Though i don't feel any pain in my feet/legs, i work 'em out on the treadmill everyday, so i don't think its a muscle issue.

Lemme know what you guys got to say about this. And thank you guys so much, it's really hard to find a drummer or any musician that can help out in my country. Good thing i found you guys!

Alright man, here are a couple things that I have found really dictate this happening. I've dealt with it before also. If you start to slack, make sure you check your posture. This is extremely important and yes even after years drummers change their posture and not always for the better. Then, check your technique. You don't want to be tense and forcing the movement. You don't want a forced twitching motion. Taking time to focus on yo0u0r proper technique can get you back on track quickly. And finally, lighten up on yourself mentally. I promise you this will help and you will understand what I mean.

Lemme know what you guys got to say about this.

If your happy with the setting and you don't feel any pain and your muscles seems alright, it sounds we have a mystery here, especially if you can play really well for a period of time, ... I wonder what it might be.

Have you checked all the settings? including your seating height? have you got a round seat? it might cut the blood stream and/or create some pressure, it's not painful, but it will restraint you movements, make sure you'll check it out, according to what you're telling us, there shouldn't be anything preventing you playing your pedals, I strongly suggest that if the problem persist that you seek medical advice, to be on the safe side.

So got back on drums around this hour, and man!! It was great at first, i had this adrenaline letting me play the things i used to play a month ago and doing new stuff that i never thought i could do (ex: rattling on time). But after like 25 min of drumming my feet just stopped... completely shut. I push and i push hard to get them back to the way they were, but nothing. It's like my feet just shut down on the double pedal lol. Though i don't feel any pain in my feet/legs, i work 'em out on the treadmill everyday, so i don't think its a muscle issue.

Olympian Kirani James has gold winning legs, yet cannot sit behind a drumset and kick with the fury of Mike Portnoy. Perhaps take yourself back down to basics-sit with your metronome starting at 90 bpms and double kick to it, moving up increments of 10 every day until you re-build coordination in the legs.

It sounds like a stamina issue that has hit you most recently. You say you got out of bed and immediately hit the kit? Did you eat something first?

I would reccommend getting up, eating something high energy - cereal and a bannana perhaps - giving yourself time to digest it (pesky blood likes to leave the limbs and hit the stomach when you eat to ease absorbtion of nutrients, which effects drumming ability), have a walk about to loosen your muscles and maybe have a stretch and warm up. That should mean you have more energy to be going with and also shouldn't tense/cramp up as quickly.

Hope that helps.

Thank you all for your replies!
Sorry for the late reply but im currently typing this on my phone coz no wifi at the moment lol.

Anyway everything turned out great, it was just a phase i was going through i guess. Too much stress caused this i believe. Anyway i thank you all for all your answers and advices its really nice to see people taking care and helping others in need. Great forum, great members! I will stay active on here and if something went wrong, i know where to find my answer(s) ;) thank you!

Back