I've lost that feeling?

jamesf

All,
I've got something that's been bugging me for a bit now. I left my last band recently (amicably), as they wanted to head towards a music style that just wasn't in my interest, but since then, I've just had no interest in getting back behind the kit. I've been playing off and on for about 25, maybe 30 years by now and have always enjoyed being a groovemaster, but lately I just don't have the drive, it seems.
Have any of you been through this and is there any hope? I've sat behind my kit several times and tried to practice (usually I play along to selected tracks from my library that I've put together into my jam playlist) mostly to keep in shape, but there's just no fun or enjoyment anymore. Should I consider finding a good teacher to help me with my style and form, kind of like what Neil Peart did; or maybe I just need to find and join another band that puts the fun back in it?
Any advice is much appreciated!

jamesF

I've had this feeling before. It will pass. I took a two year break at one point, but when the feeling hit, it hit. I wanted to get back into the swing of things. I ended up joining a few groups and gigging regularly in no time. It also seems that I had more speed and focus than I had before. Good luck to you man. Most of us have been there.

I've never lost my interest in play drums, but playing in bands? sure.

The lugging of the gear, dealing with promoters, packing drums, unpacking drums at the venue, re-packing them afterwards, long sound checks only to end up with bad sound, band drama, singer's egos, bickering, etc, yeah, I've had periods of just no interest in playing outside of my practice room.

So maybe the issue isn't so much you don't desire to play drums, but you don't desire the rest of the baloney that can come with being in a band, so it's manifested itself into not even getting behind the kit. You sit down to practice and your brain starts thinking about getting ready for the next band, and sub-consciously that's such a turn off, you don't even feel the pure joy of just hitting the drums.

Sometimes it's hard to separate "drumming for fun" and "drumming for a band."

One you can let go of "drumming for someone else" and get your brain back to "drumming is fun" it should be easier.

My new teacher really helped shift my drumming up to the next gear. And he didn't even do anything! I went to a bunch of his gigs and really got to see inside his playing. He's an incredible drummer technically but everything he plays is fun and he makes this the priority over everything else. If you can find a teacher that you really click with and share the same artistic goals it can be very inspiring.

Also, do you play other instruments? I'm learning piano as well, just for personal interest and also looking into buying a bass rig to use in another less-serious band away from my main band.

I'm basically in the same boat.
What I want out of my music has changed dramatically very recently and I find myself not really feeling it right now. So, I've changed what I listen to and how I approach the kit.
I have picked up some gigs recently and for the most part the people are cool but I'm just not 100% into it. So, I've gone back to the basics.

Took me about 12 years to re-kindle the love. Now I am obsessed almost to the point I was in my 20's. I have played pro over 30 years, at first I just burned myself out by trying too hard, got bitter cause those around me weren't keeping up or did not take it as seriously as I did, mainly my own ego and self indulgence did me in. Then after coasting a few years on the road 7 days a week, it was the other guys egos that finally killed it completely, made playing no fun, pressured. I took a year off totally, not a single stick stroke for a year, then I hit the stage cold and had a blast, played almost every weekend for the next 10 years, but did not once take the kit home or practice.

Just in the last 6 or 8 months, I began putting time into building my kit(s) and drums arsenal, built a practice room, started using it, now i am hitting the rudiments 2-3 hours a day and am totally loving it, no forcing myself. These forums help quite a bit with the inspiration, non drummers don't understand at the same level, not even bassist's or guitar players even totally get the drummers mindset.

My advice is to not force yourself to do it, unless you have a great fear of letting life go by, but your happiness and your ability to play should be together. Everyone is different and has to find the road which suits and works for them. my road is not necessarily good for your road. Good Luck.

i have definately had that feeling before. after my first band broke up i was so broken hearted that i had no desire whatsoever to play. i had made up my mind that i was never going to be in another band. it actually took me nearly 3 years to feel like i wanted to play again. my wife and i were together for atleast 2 years before she ever heard me play. but i'm in it more than ever now practicing with my band 2 to 3 times a week and even more when im alone and i couldnt be happier. it will pass....

It's not to the same degree as you, but there is less of a drive to play than before. I still practice everyday and am still improving, but I don't absolutely need to play the drums.. Coming up on my senior year of high school and I'm not feeling too pressed to participate. It just seems like I'm there to keep the percussion section going and help out with the new students, which I don't mind. But being around drummers of the same level or higher than myself usually prompts me to practice more and get better.

Sort of encountering what uniongoon mentioned about self-indulgence doing me in. It seems like the other students don't take drumming as seriously as I do and people before me did. That realization shot down my drive a bit. Ha, I think finding a teacher or joining a band would be a good idea for the both of us. Maybe you just need something new to get the creative juices flowing.

i´ve been through that a few times. and even knowing that it happens from time to time, this last time was truly scary. i really thought i was through and didn´t have any more in the tank.

but i found that upon review, even at my lowest most depressed time, i was still trying to come up with something...half scribbled lyrics here, half finished multi-track songs there...even if i wasn´t fully focused, i was still in the game.

just a time to re-charge your batteries. it happens. just keep your hands on a little bit, so that you aren´t totally clueless as to how the world has changed, when you return.

could be six months, could be two years, could be 10 years.

i don´t want to scare you with the 10 years thing. hey, it could be twenty. people grow up, have kids, raise them and decide...i miss my drums. it happens.

in the meantime, when asked if you´re playing anywhere, just smile and look off and say ¨Nah. I´m just chillin...thinking about things.¨ and if asked what about, just smile and walk off.

Last edited:
Once again...DrumEatDrum summed up my view on a subject.

I quit playing back in 2006 mainly due to the reasons DED stated.....long hours, tearing down after a gig, the long drives home...etc....plus the shenanigans of some of the band members....texting on phones or getting sloppy drunk on stage. Also, the every weekend gigs were just too much for me being as I wanted more time on the weekends with my wife and son. My age was a factor as well.

Leaving the band never killed my interest in drumming.....but I did have other priorities in my life.

I started back playing just over a year and half ago...but no more than two weekends a month. It's enjoyable for now but when it gets to be a "job"....I'll stay home.

So I can relate to how you feel.

Back