What's the process for selling on ebay?

Rene Dominguez

Can anyone tell me in detail what steps I have to go through when I sell something on ebay?

I already took pictures of the item and will create a listing but want to know if there is any additional info I need to get before I list it and how will I use it? For example do I need to go to the UPS store first to get my item weighed, then go back to making the listing and put in that info, or how does it work exactly? I'm kind of lost for words here since I've never done this before, so maybe you guys can help me out.

Finally, how many days is reasonable to give the buyer to pay for the item? And why do so many sellers say they want a bidder with little or no feedback to contact them in their listing?

Thank you again

Figuring out shiping can be a real pain. You can box the item, weigh it, and measure it, and use an on-line shipping info site (UPS, FedEx. and the USPS all have those). But those sometimes are inaccurate. eBay also has a "calculate shipping" feature. That too, can be inaccurate. Then there's the method you mentioned. That works great, if you don't mind making multiple trips to the UPS store.​
Since this is a drummers forum, I'll "assume" you're selling/shipping a drum. Use any "price finding" method of your choice, and double check it with eBay auctions currently running, with the same, or similar items. When I see someone with a "mildly" inflated shipping charge, no big deal. Hey, I've packed and shipped whole drum kits before. It can be a real pain. I begrudge no one, if they make a few bucks.​
I always stipulate buyer contacts me within' 3 days and payment within' 7 days. Some cats request "little or no feedback" people to contact them before bidding simply to figure out if someone's legit, or not. I've had my run in's with a few "or not's". Time wasters, is all they are.​
Since this is your first venture, I'd suggest restrict your auction to buyers within' the US. You have more control. Personally, I don't ship outside the US, ever, anymore. Been there, did that, don't need to do it any more. My game, my rules.​

Thanks to you both.

Harry, why are shipping services and ebay's calculator's sometimes inaccurate? Do you know? I've read comments from others before on how ebay's shipping calculator turns out to under/over calculate shipping too. One person living in Pittsburgh said the same thing about ebay under calculating shipping only when he or she ships to the west coast. Others say of course ebay's calculator always works for them.

So, if I don't use ebay's calculator, what other options do I have in providing potential buyers with shipping rate info based on where they live? Thanks.

Harry, why are shipping services and ebay's calculator's sometimes inaccurate? Do you know?
Scale error, human error, Murphy's Law. I've had times when I was right on the money (or very close) and times when I was off by $10 or $20.

So, if I don't use ebay's calculator, what other options do I have in providing potential buyers with shipping rate info based on where they live? Thanks.
Well, as I stated before "You can box the item, weigh it, and measure it, and use an on-line shipping info site (UPS, FedEx. and the USPS all have those)." You can use all 3, and then put the most expensive rate in your auction. The actual shipping charge does not appear on the FedEx or UPS box. I've done the deal enough, to know that finding a box, packing material, buying tape, driving to the UPS store (or wherever), standing in line, can burn up a good part of your morning or afternoon. It's a very "inexact" science.
In case you get a potential buyer who thinks your shipping charge is too high, I usually tell them this. "That's what my calculations come out to. If I'm way off, I have your address, I'll send you a partial refund on the shipping". I've never had to do that yet. On the other hand, I shipped a concert marimba, quoted the cat $400 shipping.....actually cost me $600 to ship, and I took the hit on the chin. I figured I was making $2500 on the sale, $2300 still wasn't bad, for a days work.​

Harry, so if I understand you correctly, ebay, FedEx, USPS and UPS calculators all do the same thing,(Which is provide you info on how much it costs to ship something based on the destinations location and the size and weight of the box) right? I tried out both the ebay and UPS calculator and both seem to work the same way.

The only thing is I was/am under the impression that ebay's calculator shows someone how much it costs to ship to them based on their location, when they look at a listing. I thought a site like UPS only provided you with this info once you knew where the location was, so thats why I asked if there were any other options other than ebay's calculator for giving potential buyers shipping rates. Also, I didn't think you would recommend I use a shipping info site, since you said they can be inaccurate. If I"m under the wrong impression about any of this, please clarify for me.

One last thing I wanted to mention was I just recently bought a drum off ebay and when I got it, the box had the postage sticker on it and it reads, $16.88. But the listing read shipping was $24,50. So I'm wondering, is it the sellers responsibility to send me the remainder of the money not used on shipping back into my paypal account? Can I contact the seller if they haven't said anything yet? What if the tables turn?

Sorry for any of the confusion on my part.

One last thing I wanted to mention was I just recently bought a drum off ebay and when I got it, the box had the postage sticker on it and it reads, $16.88. But the listing read shipping was $24,50. So I'm wondering, is it the sellers responsibility to send me the remainder of the money not used on shipping back into my paypal account? Can I contact the seller if they haven't said anything yet? What if the tables turn?

The seller is not responsible to pay you the difference in this case. They also had to pay for packing materials and take the time to ship it. If the listing said $24.50 then you were obligated to pay that.

I've sold lots on ebay and how I do it is just come up with one fixed price I'm willing to pay to ship the item within the continental US. (Not sure where you're selling from.) Sometimes I pay less or more than that, but it's easier to me than messing with shipping calculators. I just factor that into the final price I list the item at. I usually use USPS to ship. (NOTE: I have not sold any really large items. Watch out for extra shipping charges on big box dimensions, regardless of weight.)

Also, I don't mess with reserves. I just start the price at the lowest I'm willing to accept. It always goes up.

You're getting the idea. Say I'm running an auction, for a kick drum. Took my 4-5 pictures alweady, and have the drum packed, measured, and weighed. What's the shipping gonna be? I give a ballpark figure. I live in California, so I usually use a New York zip for calculations. Only because I know a New York zip offhand, and it's the other end of the country. I figure anywhere in between, I'll be safe.​
Now, as far as you getting $7+ back from that shipper, I wouldn't push the issue. For one thing, you have a shipping charge, and then you have a handling charge. It costs me "almost nothing" if I have a box already at home, and 4 bags of packing peanuts saved up. But if I have to buy a box, and buy bubble wrap/peanuts.......another story. Shipping items can add up quick.​
So, all in all, to keep my blood pressure low, I take a laissez-faire attitude. If I sell and item for $200, and I underestimate shipping by $20, I look on the bright side. I still have $180 in my pocket, that I didn't have the day before. And on the "other hand", if I "make" a few dollars on shipping, that helps to offset those times that I was "under".​

Depending on how much the shipping is you might want to consider adding that to the opening price of the drum and advertise it as free shipping within the US. Shipping costs can put people off. That way you are not going to get into any disputes about the cost being more or less what you charge and that will effect your ratings.

I would decide what is the least amount of money you want to get, add the shipping cost, add about 10 percent to take ebay and paypal fees into account and start it at that price. Put lots of buzz words in the title so people find it on searches, and describe every scratch, dent and cigarette burn in great detail, gives people confidence about what they are bidding on.

Back