Dirty Snare drum?

Ex Nihilo

Not sure what it's called, but my snare drums head is getting dirty. Then it gets my drum stick tips dirty, which causes my cymbals to look more dirty. So my questions are:

*How Can I clean my drum head? Is it possible, without getting a new drum head?

*How can I prevent my snare drum from getting dirty in the first place, what causes this?

*I don't want to get Nylon Drumsticks, so how can I clean the tips of my drumsticks?

Thanks, -Ex Nihilo

How can I prevent my snare drum from getting dirty in the first place, what causes this?

Stop playing it??

As far as I can gather, there is a new phenomena in drumming cricles, being that drum heads must remain virginal white and wooden sticks should last forever.

Personally, neither I nor anyone I knew ever worried about it. We just accepted it as a matter of course. Since joining DW, I note attitudes have changed. Come up with a solution to these problems, market them to today's youth and you'll be a rich man.

As for cleaning drum heads, I use Comet cleanser.

I cleaned a dirty Ambassador a few months back that I have on a 68 Supraphonic and it sounded a heck of a lot better after scrubbing with Comet. Of course, remove the head before doing this. Enough dirt, in MY opinion, can mute the sound somewhat.

Coated diplomat head and brushes. Nice and dirty. Calms down the brightness just enough!

I always liked the look of somewhat dirty heads. To me it always made it seem like that drum had got some lovin'.

Why not just buy some new heads if it bothers you that much?

-Jonathan

I always liked the look of somewhat dirty heads. To me it always made it seem like that drum had got some lovin'.

Why not just buy some new heads if it bothers you that much?

-Jonathan
I'm with you! I love how my heads look after a couple hours of brush playing just as much as I love the look of fresh heads when I put them on. It's the progression that you go through.

Sorry, it's the fact my drum sticks get dirty then cause my cymbals to get dirty. I don't like dirty cymbals!

Are you playing in a dirty dusty area. Close to an air conditioning vent. Try washing the dirt off of your cymbals and your sticks won't get dirty and spread to your drum heads. Whatever you do, do not use Windex on coated heads. They will not be coated any longer

Back