Ludwig makes the cake!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I recently coordinated a Ludwig factory tour for Alan Gratzer (REO Speedwagon) as a surprise for his birthday. Although a former endorser and out of the spotlight for some time, Ludwig was extremely receptive and excited about his visit, and even made a cake for him - note the blue/olive icing!

cake.jpg

Classy and thoughtful, kudos to Ludwig!

Bermuda

Very cool! That's really classy of Ludwig.

I wonder what Alan is up to these days.

I grew up watching him play with REO in the video we had of Live: Infedelity. (Actually on the RCA VideoDisc player if anyone remembers those). I played that thing over and over.

That and The Song Remains the Same were my first live drummer experiences as a kid.

If you see Alan again, tell him thanks for the inspiration.

Awesome. Great drummer and REO has been around so long because they're great at what they do. Nice guys who are appreciative of their fans.

Hi Fidelity is the soundtrack of most people my age who grew up in the late 70s/early 80s.
Drumming on Roll With the Changes and so many other hits is wonderful. Classy, those Ludwig people :)

That's really cool. The blue/olive icing really is the icing on the cake. (see what I did there?)

Alan Gratzer has always occupied a special place in my heart. For some reason, when I was a young drummer starting out playing along with records, Alan was the one drummer who I could always follow in perfect unison with. You could turn the volume down for 30 seconds and when you turned it back up, I'd still be playing along in sync. It's like we hear time the same way or something.

Anyway, this is a cool thing.

Perhaps now that they have had their cake they can get back to work and make the snare that I ordered 4 months ago that was supposed to be in last month.

thats cool, i remember his double stacked toms on his bass drum.

At first, I thought the cake had "Since 1909" crossed out, and then I realized they were drum sticks. LOL

Bermuda,

That was great of you to set that up....................I always loved REO's songs and Mr. Gratzer's drumming was the perfect fit.

I heard REO was back out touring.............is he not drumming for them anymore?

Bermuda,

That was great of you to set that up....................I always loved REO's songs and Mr. Gratzer's drumming was the perfect fit.

I heard REO was back out touring.............is he not drumming for them anymore?

No I believe Bryan Hitt has been their drummer since the early 1990s.

Did he wear gloves when he ate it? ; )

Shows the class of Ludwig to treat him with honor after such a long time away!

Must have been great to be there...

Back