What's the best snare you have tried?

Hmmmm...I don't think I could name a best snare because I have a handful that I love for different reasons...

Gretsch Brooklyn Bell Brass
Gretsch Rosewood
Gretsch New Classic Maple
Oriollo Phantom
Unix Stave Bubinga
Some random Premier Snare that I grabbed years ago

I like sitting in on someone's dilapidated drum set, and then re-tuning his snare to sound incredible, and then playing with the band. It gives folks hope of what their instrument can really sound like with proper experience and knowledge.

But I've owned and tried several high-end snares, and most times I'm a bit disappointed by how much tweaking you have to do to make them sound good. It's rare when I meet a high-end snare that required almost nothing of you to sound good. Maybe this is why I recommend Ludwig Acrolites so much?

Maybe not the best but years ago I had this black Zildjian alloy snare that was wonderful, wish Id never gotten rid of it.

I have to at least identify one wood and one metal:

Joyful Noise TKO brass 6.5x14 (the aluminum Luminary, while very different sonically, is an oh so close second)

One of the Gurus.

Fibes fiberglass.
Good enough for Buddy,good enough for me.

Attachments

• brfibes.jpg
    brfibes.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
For me, it is a tie between the Fibes Buddy Rich model, and a 14 x 7 Slingerland Radio King in White Marine Pearl finish that I got to play at the boutique drum shop that used to be in Orlando near where I live. They were both cranked up to a very high tuning, and they sounded so buttery smooth and not the least bit choked even at that tuning.

Wittman Stave Drums 14 x 6"

IzT9SF2h.jpg

I was at Guitar Center one day with the intent of buying a new pair of sticks, but this Tama Superstar Maple kit on display had one of the best sounding snares I have ever heard in my life! Too bad I didn't buy it.

Honestly, an ayotte maple snare with maple hoops tuned med-low. Can not believe I did not buy this one, it was a one-off during their "are we open or on hiatus ?" moments some 5 years or some ago. Stupid me.

Others are okay, and I do own some nice high-end snares and have played quite a few... but any decent maple, birch or metal snare I can make work

Last edited:
A Yamaha Steve Gadd Maple 14x5 with metal hoops ( first iteration) sensitive, full of body and tone and really controllable. just bloody gorgeous.

Back