Yamaha DTXplorer vs Alesis DM5 Pro

Twisted

Ok, looking into these two electronic kits. They run about the same price, but, I have no clue what set is better. I have not had any experience with any form of drums, but I have limited space, and need to practice in quiet. So, electronic is about my only option, and I don't have much cash at all. So... These two are my primary choices that I could find.

Anyway, what kit is better in your opinions and why?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMDTXPL <--- Yamaha

http://www.music123.com/Alesis-DM5-Pro-Electronic-Drum-Kit-490095-i1321968.Music123 <--- Alesis

Now, what I notice most about the Alesis, aside from looks, is that it has 540 sounds. While the Yamaha has only 100 and some.

Also, the Alesis doesn't seem to come with a kick thing for the bass drum pad. Would like to find a kt that had that included.

And another stupid thing, since I am a beginner (TOTAL NEWB). I'd like to be able to get better on the set, and go the furthest with it before I have to switch it out for a better set. So, What set would be more capable of say... Chris Adler/Lamb of God-ish drumming. (I know it can't accurately replicate it to that full extent, but I mean if either could come close, what one would it be?)

Thanks.

PS: If any of you know a good shop online that sells either of these models and takes payments without credit checks or credit cards directly from the company (like Music 123 :( ) I'd really appreciate knowing what they are.

IMO, you are sort of looking at the wrong things. Not that # of sounds isn't a consideration, however what matters most for any e-kit is playability. Go to a local store that has these and try them out. You will notice (or should) differences between them. Both in how they sound, and more importantly, in how they feel. Solve that first, then move on to the smaller details like sound banks and pedals.

Also, keep in mind that while it is always fun to set an e-kit to a "space sounds" or "rapper mode" bank in the store, you aren't going to use that stuff often... or ever. The point being that # of sounds is heavily weighted by the usability of the sounds themselves. Another way to say it is: 32 drum kits > 12 drum kits but 12 drum kits > 1000 sound banks of crazy space noises, guitar sounds or marimba samples.

On the pedal issue: you may not want an e-kit that comes with a kick pedal unless the included pedal is something worth having (read: name brand product that you can buy separately anyway). In this case, the pedal in question is a Yamaha so I would be inclined to trust it given their reputation. That said, if you really have your eyes set on (eventually) playing like Chris Adler, you are going to want to get a double pedal at some point anyway.

Now, for my opinion on your overall question. I've tried both sets briefly and I would take the Yamaha over the Alesis. At this price point it is unfair to expect much from any e-kit, but I felt that the Yamaha had better dynamic range and overall feel than the Alesis. Which makes it a little closer to playing like the real thing. That is, coming right off of playing an acoustic kit, I had to adjust less to playing the Yamaha.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I don't know ANYTHING about drumming. So, I have another question. I was told on another forum, that I shouldn't LEARN to play on an electronic kit, because they make you sound/think you are better than you actually are. Is that true, or is it ok to learn on them?

Back