Chad Smith

Watching the Grammys (reluctantly - as is one of the cheesiest shows ever!) and as the Dixie Chicks came on and started playing I heard a familiar sound. Chad Smith on drums.

This is news to me. Obviously something to do with Rick Rubin producing their new album. It was still a terrible song though. Chad can only do so much.

chad smith is the most UNFUNKIEST drummer ive heard ... if youre looking for great funk drummers listen to the drummers for sly and the family stone, PFunk, and what about david garibaldi
Man come on...Chad plays a whole lot different to Pfunk,Parliament,and Sly an the Family Stone...He plays a totally different genre....Funk back then WAS P-FUnk...George Clinton was the master...the man behind it all....but in fairness Chad was primarily a rock drummer,before he went on an joined the Chilis....He listened to Pfunk,they got produced be George Clinton...an he Created his own style.....yknow?

you cant say hes UNFUNKY......Garibaldi is in another league....and Pfunk,Family Stone,Parliament,etc. were all before him....hes different.,..but NOT unfunky?

chad smith is the most UNFUNKIEST drummer ive heard ... if youre looking for great funk drummers listen to the drummers for sly and the family stone, PFunk, and what about david garibaldi

Well you just proved that you don't know anything about da funk drummers...I'm dead serious. Chad Smith can play a mean a** funk beat!!

just to back 'rendesvouz drummer' up, have any of you heard the song "warlocks" on stadium arcadium??

if so, then u will notice that chad smith IS indeed a funk/y drummer, and always will be :D

well, thats my opinion anyway

on the other hand, chilis do seem to have lost that get-up-and-dance feel from the older stuff

Last edited:
Just want to say that I think Chad is an awesome drummer with groove and pocket like no one else. His drum sound is fantastic too.

Also, many people on here have been slating his technique. I think it's much better than many other rock drummers. What exactly is wrong with it?

Chad Smith is the reason i started drumming after i saw a live performance of the chili's at slane castle i wasn't there unfortunately but i saw the DVD which i know is different and he just blew mw away whether you consider him a funky or a rock drummer you cannot deny his awesome talent behind the kit.
I personally consider him to be both funk and rock just as the chili's are.

Well, no one's arguing about Garibaldi or P-Funk or Jabo Starks or anyone being "unfunky". Just that I think Chad's a RAD funky drummer as well. And come on, with a groove as deep as that (I am listening to Aeroplane, and his kick and snare just kills, man!), you're in the category of being a 'Very Good Drummer'. In my book.

Chad Smith isn't a bad drummer. It is awesome how he uses the drums to keep a really tight sound (even when bassest Flea goes into one of his ott bass solos!)

I think his funky stuff is pretty good, but he's really great as a straight up rock drummer. Unfortunately, he sort of missed his calling there with RHCP. However, I love them as a band. Disc 2 (Mars) has some great songs on it with great drumming by Chad.

To me, Chad Smith comes off as a bit of a clown. I was just watching his segment with Ian Paice on the MD '05 dvd, and I must say it was like watching a two 10 year olds dueling. My opinion is that he has a good pocket and groove (not as good as many people think...you want pocket, go for some good old Steve Jordan), and a great knack for playing the right parts for a song, but other than that, extremely overrated

Not even close to being overrated...nobody is on here giving him praise that he is the BEST drummer. The point is, he is a good, solid drummer, who plays for the song. Every time I listen to him, it just amazes me, how the simple fills he does just fit the song perfectly! Am I saying he is the best, no...but he does deserve everything good everyone says about him.
$0.02

I'm not telling that Chad Smith is bad drummer, no. But its so hard to tell is he good or bad because RHCP songs are kinda slow. How can i know is he good when he plays same beat in every song. He do not plays that because he is weak drummer, he does that because thats how RHCP sound like... But, what i know... :)

But its so hard to tell is he good or bad because RHCP songs are kinda slow.

A very puzzling statement - one that equates skill with speed - after all if it ain't fast how can it be hard? While speed is certainly a tool to have on one's workbench it alone is absolutely no indicator of ability. The truth is, that playing every subdivision in the bar is much easier than playing only a few of them. It is, generally speaking, much easier to play a fast song than to play a slow one. It is the ability to understand space (and thereore dynamics) that makes a drummer a musician. This kind of muddleheaded attitude - which seems to dominate so many drum forums and the thoughts of many young inexperienced players - needs to be corrected at every opportunity.

Chad is a very good drummer precisely because he understands the concept of space - without which you cannot have groove and you cannot have dynamics.

Lerimed - I am not jumping on your case it is just that your post more succinctly makes the point that many others only hint at. I am. however, just suggesting that aa macro approach to musicianship is probably a better way to determine someone's skill level.

Paul

Paul, thanks for a lesson, really. I didn't thought that if you don't have speed, you are bad drummer. There are a lot of "intoxicated" drummers with high speed :) [you know what i mean], but they are poor drummers with no feeling of space, like you said. I think that Chad is excellent drummer, really good. I donut know what happened with me to write that [previous post]. I know that i have much, so much to learn, even if i have speed [and i have hehe]. Thank you
lerimed

Paul, thanks for a lesson, really. I didn't thought that if you don't have speed, you are bad drummer. There are a lot of "intoxicated" drummers with high speed :) [you know what i mean], but they are poor drummers with no feeling of space, like you said. I think that Chad is excellent drummer, really good. I donut know what happened with me to write that [previous post]. I know that i have much, so much to learn, even if i have speed [and i have hehe]. Thank you
lerimed

Well said. Chad Smith is one of those rare drummers that can always make people groove. Plus he can play tehnical if he wants. He's the reason every chili song is amazing.

Back