Drum Mic Problem

brayski

Hey I have a 6 Channel mixer and i just bought a 5 piece drumset micing system and i have 2 overheads to i am short one channel what should i do stick with one over head or do i have to buy a new mixer

It is doable, you just have to be creative on how you hook it up. I have a 7 pc mic kit going into 6 channels. I had to go to Radio Shack and by a 2 into 1 converter and run my toms into the mono side of the last 2 channels. See picture. Make sure your board has phantom power for the condeser mics.

You can run 2 overheads, bass drum, and snare drum. Let the overheads pick up the toms. That usually works pretty well.

Attachments

• P3020004 copy.jpg
    P3020004 copy.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Hey I have a 6 Channel mixer and i just bought a 5 piece drumset micing system and i have 2 overheads to i am short one channel what should i do stick with one over head or do i have to buy a new mixer

Just use four microphones, or five. Quite simply, I would use two overheads, a bass drum mic and a snare mic - at most, a snare-side snare mic. Overheads should take priority over everything else.

Just use four microphones, or five. Quite simply, I would use two overheads, a bass drum mic and a snare mic - at most, a snare-side snare mic. Overheads should take priority over everything else.

I've heard your view on this before and it seems to be an interesting, less complicated, cost affective solution. Out of interest though, how do the two overheads do in regards to picking up the toms with everything else in the mix? I only have one high and one floor tom so it's not like I have a cascade of to pickup on just the overheads. I do however play quite aggressive, fast music. Will that plus my APX's make them struggle to pick up the toms?

The overheads pick up toms superbly. They hear what your ears do. Can you hear the toms? Then the mic hears it too. Snare mic, kick mic , and only 1 overhead are what I use to mic my kit for gigging, for recording I use 2 overheads plus individual tom mics. It's not like I really need them, but I have them, so why not, but the overheads get everything, you almost don't even need a snare mic, (but use one anyway) but you def need a kick mic.

Back