Anika Nilles

So often complex combinations can sound too technical, but she absolutely nails it, it sounds very musical. As you guys said, there is definitely som Grebishness in there, which is a good thing as long as it's not a clone. I like it. I imagine her inbox is flooding with requests, or will be.

She is a great drummer, and tasteful at it too.

I think if I had a make-out session with Anika and then Emmanuelle Caplette, that I could die a happy drummer LOL.

Anika Nilles strikes again... :)

"Have You", new song with Nevell, her new band... drumming's impressive and over processed as usual... but I like it a lot, shuffle and linear patterns, what's not to like :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoDDWGzGXTM

... as usual she wrote the song.
This is the best thing I've heard from Anika (IMHO). More musical, less complexed, more open, more free. Playing with a band suits her so well. I like most of her choices :)

My favourite bit? ---- The bass playing :)

I am surprised every time I see one of her videos at how, well, old her music sounds. She is a girl in, I will assume, her early 20's yet she writes and plays music that sounds like it was written by somebody in their 50's. I just don't hear anything fresh in what she is doing. I will admit its pretty far from my preferred musical style, but I have a pretty open mind and can enjoy a variety of styles. I do enjoy a good drummer, which she obviously is, I would just like to hear her hook up with the two from Girlpool or play in a War on Drugs type band that feels younger and more relevant.

However, I will give credit where credit is due. At least she isn't just playing covers and using her looks to get youtube hits. I believe we will hear a lot more from her in the future.

Sie ist eine WunderFrau! :D

She sounds pretty dang loose (as in not stiff) in her groove considering the tracks she plays to. Dang impressive.

I'd like to see her playing live with others instead of just to tracks as she seems to do in all her videos so far.

I hope to hear more from her.

what a beast. definitely a sort of poster child for drummers with serious grooves and chops who don't over step their bounds in regards to musicality. gotta love this whole youtube drum scene!

Blimey! She's a bit good, eh?

Hey, what are those little round attachments she has on that one cymbal to her left???

I just found the answer on a web site:

"18" Byzance Jazz Thin Crash with two pairs of jingles mounted on top (custom made)"

Anika is a fantastic drummer...I'd love to hear more of her backing a band. Something less focused on showcasing the drums and more about just killing it with a great band.

Back