Why I play the Breakbeats!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So I actually had a rehearsal today with one of my choir bands today and took the Ludwig Breakbeats out for a spin. I knew it'd be perfect for quickie rehearsals and quiet gigs - I got the whole thing into the front cab of my Ford F-150 truck! My truck is not an extra cab and I managed to get all the hardware, cymbals, and two toms behind the seat, and the bass drum and snare drum sat in the passenger seat. For the front seat I have the lid from an 18" fiber case I don't use and some cardboard to keep the bass drum from digging into the seat material.

It's awesome to be able to leave it in the cab, and lock the truck so I can run into a restaurant for lunch!

When I use my regular-sized Ludwig Classic maple kit, when that whole thing is cased up with all the hardware, it just about takes up the entire bed are of the truck (I also carry a Rock n Roller cart I've been using for 20 years now - I don't break it down, it stays open full size). And I can't leave the truck unattended, either.

But the Breakbeats are perfect for transport and sounded surprisingly like drums today. Here's a couple of pictures of how everything gets stored:

Attachments

• behind-front-seat.jpg
    behind-front-seat.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,471
  • Front-seat.jpg
    Front-seat.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2,757
I would not want to ride in there with all of those possible missiles flying around in case of an accident

OK, you are a drummer and you don't own an extended cab pickup truck???
Shame on you!!!
By the way, I think that your red cymbal bag looks gay :)
You know of course that I am messing with your mind. Right?
And Grunt; Don't worry, the airbags will save the drums in the event of a collision.

.... and sounded surprisingly like drums today.:

Funny, that. Especially considering they look like drums too, just smaller.

And yeah, shame about that cymbal case.

I've put my five-piece Stage Custom (with the 22" bass drum) inside my Nissan Frontier crew cab. The only thing was I couldn't take my hardware case. I had to put the stands loose on the floor of the back seat. Also couldn't fit the Rock 'N' Roller cart.

I'd much rather use the bed of the truck, bring the cart, and get everything all in one trip. If I want something to eat, I'll use the drive-through. If the weather starts to turn bad I know that there's enough room in the cab for the drums.

Wow. Tough crowd.

I'll have you know that cymbal bag was actually a beautiful burgundy at some time a little over 20 years ago. There's a matching stick bag that goes with it. Heavy stuff that solid leather ;)

I thought you played them because your wife told you to buy them.

I played one the other day btw. Is it a 13" floor tom they have? Was kinda fun.

I thought you played them because your wife told you to buy them.

I played one the other day btw. Is it a 13" floor tom they have? Was kinda fun.

Well that too. But she knew (after seeing my enjoyment with the Sonor Safari's) that having a little kit makes sense with what I do, meaning that for about six months of out of the year I'm throwing the kit in the truck and rushing off to go play somewhere. And I guess she noticed that packing the big Ludwig kit for quiet little rehearsals, at my age, is making less and less sense these days. And she's usually right ;)

And yes, it's a 13x13 floor tom, which I'm totally diggin' because a 14x14 would not fit behind the seat!

I did put a coated ambassador on the snare, but so far I've been using the stock heads and it's been ok. The toms have Remo UT pinstripes and the bass drum has that Remo UT Powerstroke 3 type head, and just generic reso heads. I have this feeling if I put coated emperors on the toms and a real PS3 on the bass drum, with appropriate reso heads on all the drums, it might sound outstanding.

So, from this thread, we deduce;

1/ a pickup truck is crap for carrying normal drum kits
2/ airbags are good news for drums
3/ anything leather automatically opens up Breakbeat Mountain accusations

;)

Wow. Tough crowd.

I'll have you know that cymbal bag was actually a beautiful burgundy at some time a little over 20 years ago. There's a matching stick bag that goes with it. Heavy stuff that solid leather ;)
A matching stick bag too, OMG! It's all about the accessories. :)

The leather seats of the pickup truck do not even match the cymbal and stick bags... ridiculous...

The leather seats of the pickup truck do not even match the cymbal and stick bags... ridiculous...

Even more ridiculous: the seats aren't leather (OMG!)

Actually, my brother owned an old Porsche with black leather seats, and after driving around in that thing on a hot summer day in SoCal with the roof off, I'm not a big fan of sitting on leather!

Don't listen to these people! That cymbal bag is absolutely fabulous!! This is 2014 and nobody should feel ashamed of having a flamboyant sense of style!!!

I'm glad to see that the steering wheel is on the correct side of the truck! :)
I love watching your videos but I always feel like I'm watching in a mirror.

I owned two F150s in my life. Both were very reliable vehicles. However, I could never put anything behind the seat because of the huge speaker cabs I put back there.

Don't listen to these people! That cymbal bag is absolutely fabulous!! This is 2014 and nobody should feel ashamed of having a flamboyant sense of style!!!

I'm glad to see that the steering wheel is on the correct side of the truck! :)
I love watching your videos but I always feel like I'm watching in a mirror.

I owned two F150s in my life. Both were very reliable vehicles. However, I could never put anything behind the seat because of the huge speaker cabs I put back there.

Thanks for the kind words! Actually, I never thought burgundy leather was flamboyant. The only choices you had back then were natural, black, and burgundy. And all the people I knew had natural or black, so I thought I'd stand out a bit.

Back