Help needed on choosing the right head for my kit.

I just bought a Pork Pie Little Squealer drum set, all maple construction. The stock heads are coated 1 plys and they are giving me a very wet, plasticy sound. Ive tried many different tunings between the resonant and batter but the song remains the same. I play rock, funk, and jazz. I would like to get a very focused, resonation out of them, maybe a little dryer.

As far as the batter head is concerned, my drum teacher suggested vintage emperors, but im not sure. I need to make a decision quickly because I want to know how these drums sound with good heads, so i can decide whether to return it to Guitar Center or not within the 30 day limit.

I have a 10, 12, and 16.

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited:
I use Evans G2 batter heads and Evans Glass Genera Resonant Heads on my maple kit. I like the sound and I think tuning is not difficult. In the beginning I changed only the batter heads and kept the stock resonant heads. I still was able to tune them up to where I liked it, but the kit really came alive when I changed the resonant heads. Other drummers on this site can no doubt offer more and better advise.

I have never played Vintage Emperors, so I can not offer an opinion on those heads.

Thanks for the information man, ive never tried Evans heads. Maybe i should. Anyways, its been a while since ive used stock heads, so im not sure how bad they make the kit sound, and how much of the "wet" sound is caused by the heads, or the shell.

I also have 10-12-16 toms and this last head set was white coated vintage emperors on top and clear ambassadors on the bottom. I think they sound great. Personally, I think you could do great things with regular ol' white coated ambassadors top and bottom and with good tuning, get all the tones you're looking for. But if you're looking for thickness, I would suggest emperors on top AND bottom. In Evans I can put G2's top and bottom and get a really good sound as well. I don't think there's anything wrong with your drums, so I wouldn't contemplate returning them to the store, just get new heads and learn how to tune 'em.

Awesome, i think im gonna try either the vintage emperors or g2 coated batter over glass generas on resonant, i personally have never had a good experience with ambassadors, maybe my tunings lacking? I dont know, i guess I just had buyers remorse, but thanks for the recommendations guys!

I've been experimenting with much success with the Fiberskyns.

So many variables go into making the sound though. Drums, rims, and for a great part of it taste/preference.

Back