Drumset wrap is starting to bubble

ilikedrumming

Not even a year after I bought it, the wrap on my drum set is starting to bubble in a couple of areas. I was hoping on taking the wrap off, and sanding and staining it because I like a natural finish better anyways. I have never stained anything before though, but I looked it up and it seems pretty simple. I was just going to try my bass hoops first because they are bubbling the worst and the set would still look fine with the natural hoops. Any tips from someone who has done this before? Do I have to put a lacquer on it afterwards, because I prefer not to have the shiny finish.

Drum companys usually use the least visually appealing wood for the outer plys on drums that are going to be wrapped.Sometimes ,different pieces of completely different shades are used to make of the final ply of the drum.

So if your going to strip off the wrap,be prepared to put it right back on or buy new wrap,as the outer plys of the kitmay not match even with staining.

If your kit is less than a year old,there should be some kind of warranty covering the wrap.

What brand are those drums,I'm curious.We should all be warned about that kind of shoddy workmanship.

Steve B

It's a Tama Silverstar Bop set. I love the sound of the kit and the mounting hardware, but both bass drum hoops and the floor tom have a bubble already. I know there's probably a warranty but it is my only kit and I have some gigs lined up already so I can't afford not to have it for a couple of weeks waiting for the new one. It also has never traveled outside of a case.

I would still call the dealership where you bought the kit,and tell them what happened.

They may even swap it out one for one,so you don't have to wait.If the wrap is bubbling after a month,the shells,glue or wrap is defective.Tell them you want new drums,not repaired drums.Be firm but respectful,and don't lose your cool.

Stripping off the wrap isn't the way to go,and it no doubt voids your warranty.Think it through my friend.You paid good money for a kit thats not suppose to be defective,thats why you have a warranty.

If the repair option is the only way to go,then they should lend you a set till yours are repaired.Tell them you have gigs lined up and you need your kit.

Good luck

Steve B

I would still call the dealership where you bought the kit,and tell them what happened.

They may even swap it out one for one,so you don't have to wait.If the wrap is bubbling after a month,the shells,glue or wrap is defective.Tell them you want new drums,not repaired drums.Be firm but respectful,and don't lose your cool.

Stripping off the wrap isn't the way to go,and it no doubt voids your warranty.Think it through my friend.You paid good money for a kit thats not suppose to be defective,thats why you have a warranty.

If the repair option is the only way to go,then they should lend you a set till yours are repaired.Tell them you have gigs lined up and you need your kit.

Good luck

Steve B

+1...............even if it isn't a high dollar kit, the wrap issue shouldn't be happening. I'd contact the store or Tama and get it resolved

I've stained a kit once before. The outcome really depends on the quality of the wood. My kit was pretty cheap, so it ended up with blotchy areas, which weren't always pretty to look at, but coincidentally, most of the blotches weren't visible from an audience's position. All in all, they turned out looking great, aside from the blotchy areas, and it was very easy to do. I just used a deep red stain I found at Walmart, and a clear coat.

That's all good and well,but the OP's kit is less than a year old,and still under warranty.

He shouldn't have to strip off the defective wrap,sand down the shells who's outer ply's may or may not match,and then stain and clear coat,at all his time and expence.

Tama or the dealer is obligated by that warranty, to fix defects covered under that warranty.

I realize that it isn't a tough job to do,but he shouldn't have to.

Steve B

That's all good and well,but the OP's kit is less than a year old,and still under warranty.

He shouldn't have to strip off the defective wrap,sand down the shells who's outer ply's may or may not match,and then stain and clear coat,at all his time and expence.

Tama or the dealer is obligated by that warranty, to fix defects covered under that warranty.

I realize that it isn't a tough job to do,but he shouldn't have to.

Steve B

You're right. I seem to have missed that part.

Definitely look into some sort of warranty claim, but be ready to answer questions as to what your local climate is like, and how/where you store your drums. I live in the midwest, where the temperature and humidity jump all over the place, and it really takes a toll on instruments. If they think they can pin it on climate control, they will probably try to.

This is part of the reason that I try to stick to stained finishes.

Back