My New Mapex Kit

I don't want to derail Lukas's thread, but I'd like to set things straight here. I think my post was balanced. I said I liked the kit overall, & I do. I did point out a couple of details I personally don't like, but I think that's just fine. If you post up pictures of your kit, & invite comment, then you accept that some people may not like certain aspects of the kit, & it's fine for them to say so, so long as it's balanced & respectful. I'm not someone who automatically posts nice things about something, even though my thoughts are different. Nor do I expect only nice things to be said about my kit/gear/playing.

Ok, against that background, the reason I highlighted these badges vs. the Saturn badges was I've not really studied the Meridian series of Mapex drums before. When I saw these Meridian badges, I was pleasantly surprised at how subtle they were compared to the rather garish design applied to Saturns. Usually, manufacturers go for a common theme across their offerings, but in this case, there's no common theme at all. If you didn't know better, you'd think they were from two different manufacturers.

As for observations about the size of DW lugs. Yes I do drop the occasional joke, & I will mention those lugs when there's a discussion centred around how resonant the shells are with all that metal mass bolted to them. In other words, so long as my comments are delivered respectfully, in context, and with something to back up my opinion, I reserve the right to post them.

This forum doesn't exist purely to say nice things to other drummers.

Edit: Lukas, I said earlier that I very much liked your kit, & I do. I especially like the finish. I'm not really a fan of wraps, but Mapex have got that wrap absolutely right IMO. I bet it really pops under stage lights :)

First the kudos.... Absolutely love Champagne sparkles... Wonderful kit!

Not that you need my support Andy but I'll state my view that you are spot on with your remarks! You delivered a personal opinion and was politely worded.

One reason I pretty much bailed on reading magazines like Modern Drummer is because any and all reviews I personally read, seemed to be positive. Ironically these are the same manufactures that provide the revenue source of advertising.

I've read many times negative opinions about drums, cymbals, sticks, brushes and method books I use. Believe it or not, many times I can see why people say them and while I may agree somewhat with their stated opinion, I find the products I use too favorable to let some of those negatives bother me or sway me.

Dmacc, I absolutely have to agree with you there. There's a reason the only 'industry' magazine that I regularly buy is 'Sound on Sound' because the reviews are detailed, professional and critical.

There is definitely a lack of critical thought in magazines and yes, even on this forum. I'm always glad when I read a thread that has a mixture of advice and opinion. In 'Your Playing' the best threads are those where posters are not afraid to post up ideas for improvement.

To those of you that think 'critical' has to mean 'bad' - no. That's not the case. 'Critical' is simply approaching the article in question with an open mind and delivering an analysis. Usually, any analysis will involve both good and bad points, ideas for improvement and maybe some words of praise. Critical thinking is the basis of any half-decent discussion and ultimately that's what we're here to do.

Nice kit, huge fan of one up, two down set ups. I want to sit down and play that thing!!!

Hey all,

thanks for the comments...I'll try and get some decent pictures of it on stage with a decent camera as it just pops out, I've had alot of comments about it already....even our guitarists like it....and for them to drag their heads up from their fret boards is praise enough! :eek:)

@ 'Keep it simple' you make a good point about the floor tom leg locks being quite high up the drum...when I first set up the 14" I thought that straight away....but the toms are what Mapex describe as 'short stacked' I think they've moved the up so as not to make it look like the drums are on spindles and try to add depth to the look....kinda works, kinda doesn't....

I'm now gigging every week until mid December, then into January with my Rock covers band, and also depping a few blues and souls gigs along the way, so we'll see how she fares....

I really like your kit. Enjoy! Peace and goodwill.

Hi Everyone,

So I've just got a Mapex Meridian Birch in the limited edition Champagne Sparkle finish.
spec:
22x20in Bass Drum

Nice looking kit.

I'm just wondering if you've always used a bass drum that deep. And if not, how are you liking it?

Nice looking kit.

I'm just wondering if you've always used a bass drum that deep. And if not, how are you liking it?

I had a Tama Superstar before this which I think was also a 22x20...I like them, the Mapex gives a real low end 'doof' (great word) that I like, I did have a plastic beater head which was too clicky and tried a felt beater and it sounded great, few tweaks here and there to be done but I really like it.

Back