gifts for a bass player

[email protected]

hey guys, my bass player's birthday is very soon, and i was wondering what could i get him? at christmas he got me a pair of sticks, so i wanted to get him a small something, but what i didn't know was what i could get a bass player that costed between 10 and 15 bucks. I thought about picks, but he doesnt always use picks and i dont know what thickness he likes. can anyone help me out?

Does he have any strap locks for his existing strap? Those are easily around that price. Strap stays on better during performances, plus I think it's actually easier to remove the strap when you want.

I was thinking about that, but do you have to take off the existing strap "nobs" to mount the strap locks? if so i dont know if he would want them, cuz he has a 65 fender p bass, and when you have vintage intruments, you want to keep it as original as possible.

Shouldn't have to take them off. A '65 P-bass really is something of beauty.

I was thinking about that, but do you have to take off the existing strap "nobs" to mount the strap locks? if so i dont know if he would want them, cuz he has a 65 fender p bass, and when you have vintage intruments, you want to keep it as original as possible.

Ah, yes, you do replace that part to make it work. But you can use the existing screw!

Heh, well there's not a whole lot aside from strings and such, but those are fairly expensive for a bass and not often in need of changing. There's always a $10 gift card to iTunes or Taco Bell or something if you're looking to reciprocate.

ok cool, and ya is bass is a gem... what brand of strap locks do you recomend?

Shouldn't have to take them off. A '65 P-bass really is something of beauty.

The few I've seen come with both a part for the strap and a part to replace the strap knob on your guitar, but of course I'm sure there are different types and I haven't really looked for anything like that in years. Any idea for what brand(s) would work?

I'm sure I've seen sets that can go straight on, but I can't seem to find any when I look. Most interesting.

Perhaps a metronome sends the wrong message...unless his timing really is poor.

Perhaps a metronome sends the wrong message...unless his timing really is poor.

lol, no this guys timing is probably one of the best in the band!! I will probably look into strap locks, and see how much they are and whether or not i think he will like them.

Sounds like gift card time at the music store. People buying me stuff for my musical endeavors is like people picking my clothes - I never wear them. $15 should be a nice lunch at a mid-priced restaurant, though....

I like the strap lock idea. You defintely don't want a 65 P-bass falling. He can always replace the original button for selling purposes. I think it's a thoughtful gift. A heartfelt card recognizing his excellent playing and your appreciation of his timing would be nice too. Everyone likes a little recognition.

Mmm I'll throw some ideas, maybe you like any:

- Music CD's / DVD's, some artist he's fan of?
- Music/Band merchandise, like t-shirts for example
- Bass books / DVD's
- A set of strings
- A Guitar polish, like Dunlop 65
- That stuff to keep strings clean and smooth (I don't know what it's called)
- A strap
- A six-pack of beers (always great)

I don't know the price of all that stuff in the US, but well.. I hope it helps.

You could also tell your bandmates to each put maybe $20 so you have between $60 to $100+ to make him a gift card at the music store or something.

Cheers :)

- A six-pack of beers (always great)

LOL hes the one that usually buys the booze for the band!!! hes the only one that 19!!! but ya, alcohol sounds like a good idea, i guess ill just give him a booze store gift card!!! thats always great!!!!

Gift cards. That's where you take perfectly good money and convert it to a form where you can only spend it in one place. Money is better IMO, he may need it for something more pressing. Besides, technically, alcohol is poison. Do you really want to give a form of poison as a gift?

Gift cards. That's where you take perfectly good money and convert it to a form where you can only spend it in one place. Money is better IMO, he may need it for something more pressing. Besides, technically, alcohol is poison. Do you really want to give a form of poison as a gift?

+1 it always gets on my nerves when people send me gift cards, when really i'd just rather get cash money...

Back