What are your all time top 3 cover versions of your favourite songs?

behindthenotes

Hi Guys

We have posted our discussion topic this week but would like to hear your views:

What are your all time top 3 cover versions of your favourite songs?

There have been some shocking cover versions of songs as well as some great ones - what are your all time top 3 cover verisons of your favourite songs ?

Here's one of our favourites - If only Jeff were still around to have his say on this.

Since I've been seeing so many zombie threads lately, I figured I'd resurrect the oldest thread of them all. If you're averse to checking dates, this one is from all the way back in 2008. 08/08/08 to be exact. Obviously my reply will push this post all the way to the top of the General Discussion thread, but as I'm writing this, it's the oldest post here. Hell, as far as I know it may even be the very first post ever on Drummerworld. Yet after all this time, no one has responded to poor behindthenotes.

So, behindthenotes, if you're still around, here are my all-time top 3 covers:

1. Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused - this was actually a pseudo cover from some guy named Jake Holmes
2. Steven Wilson - Twilight Zone - a somewhat recent cover of the Rush tune from 2112
3. Judas Priest - The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown) - this was actually a cover of an old Fleetwood Mac song

As a side note, since the OP's link no longer works, I suppose we have no way of knowing what his favorite was.

Last edited:
Problem is - it was a confusing and complicated question to post. 'Your favourite cover versions of your favourite 3 songs'.
My favourite 3 songs might never have been covered, and if they had been, I'd probably preferred the originals.

A favourite song and then someone else did it better?

If I thin about it a lot there are probably some of my old favourite artists that did a song I didnæt even know was a cover because I was too young and uninformed, but.... weølll.

I like this better than the original.

Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks
Motorhead - Heroes
Wilson Pickett - Hey Jude

Just some of the top of my head, I'm sure that given time I'd remember some that I might like better than these:

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
Atlanta Rhythm Section - Spooky
Beatles - Roll Over Beethoven
Blackberry Smoke - Ain't Much Left of Me/ When The Levee Breaks
Sex Slaves - Thank The Lord For Jack Daniels

Problem is - it was a confusing and complicated question to post.
Agreed. So are about 1/4 of all the posts/replies here. I've learned to look past the specifics of what's written and get to what I think the writer intended.

Agreed. So are about 1/4 of all the posts/replies here. I've learned to look past the specifics of what's written and get to what I think the writer intended.
Just figured out what he really meant: '3 cover versions that you love more than the originals'.

"My back pages" (Bob Dylan): The Nice as well as the Byrds.
"Country Pìe" (Bob Dylan) The Nice. Excellent drumming by Brian Davison!

Since I've been seeing so many zombie threads lately, I figured I'd resurrect the oldest thread of them all. If you're averse to checking dates, this one is from all the way back in 2008. 08/08/08 to be exact. Obviously my reply will push this post all the way to the top of the General Discussion thread, but as I'm writing this, it's the oldest post here. Hell, as far as I know it may even be the very first post ever on Drummerworld. Yet after all this time, no one has responded to poor behindthenotes.

So, behindthenotes, if you're still around, here are my all-time top 3 covers:

1. Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused - this was actually a pseudo cover from some guy named Jake Holmes
2. Steven Wilson - Twilight Zone - a somewhat recent cover of the Rush tune from 2112
3. Judas Priest - The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown) - this was actually a cover of an old Fleetwood Mac song

As a side note, since the OP's link no longer works, I suppose we have no way of knowing what his favorite was.

Steven Wilson's tribute to David Bowie, a live version of Space Oddity, is also fantastic.

Although these aren't my all time favorite songs, they are absolutely great versions of the originals
1) Sounds of Silence by Disturbed
2) Help by Tina Turner
3) Darlin' Be Home Soon by Joe Cocker

I think I like all of Van Halen's covers more than the originals. They were brilliant at transforming an old classic into a Van Halen song.

While not my favorite songs, these are my 3 favorite covers versions:

"You Really Got Me" - Van Halen
"Satisfaction" - Devo
"The Passenger" - Siouxsie and the Banshees

Back