English drummer killed in attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad that everything in the end somehow boils down to ethnic/racial profiling because, we, the recipients of the grand media buffet have absolutely nothing else to hold on to except a fleeting image or clip of a black person, a brown person, or whomever, associated with our daily diet of gruesomeness.

To quote Bob Marley, I'm not quite sure what " All the Trouble in the World" is but this global fear psychosis based on color and religion is doing a lot of damage that will take generations to undo.

What a frikkin mess.

Who said anything about race? The butchers claimed their God told them to do it. People who are stoning homosexuals to death, chopping off hands and feet of thieves, throwing acid in womens' faces, burning women to death, burning down libraries, demonstrating to destroy liberal democracy, slashing the throats of artists and beheading their critics are all saying their particular God told them to do it. And we aint' talking about Buddha here!

To quote Maya Angelou, "If someone shows you who they are, believe them"

Who said anything about race? The butchers claimed their God told them to do it. People who are stoning homosexuals to death, chopping off hands and feet of thieves, throwing acid in womens' faces, burning women to death, burning down libraries, demonstrating to destroy liberal democracy, slashing the throats of artists and beheading their critics are all saying their particular God told them to do it. And we aint' talking about Buddha here!

To quote Maya Angelou, "If someone shows you who they are, believe them"

No disagreement on your point here, DMC, but we are getting into a very broad and deep discussion here, perhaps better had over a drink.
My point, very simply, is that the media's tendency to ID a 'monster' by race or religious persuasion, is often misunderstood by most people on either side the debate and creates more friction than neccesary.

The answers are always beneath the surface, but 'breaking news' never seems to have the time for that. All thats left then, is just a lot of hate. That saddens me.

As for the beheading of a British citizen on our own streets, it is essentially bringing war to our front door. The liberals among us may disagree with this next statement but everyone I've spoken to it about (I work in the supply industry and spend a lot of time 'chatting' to people of all ages and races - including Muslims) believe that this is the time to say that enough is enough, shut the borders, declare emergency and scoop up all the extremists, immigrant criminals and people that don't deserve to be here and ship them back to the rat-pit countries they belong too!.

I'm a liberal, and I also try to think rationally. We did that to the Japanese-Americans after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. Yet another ugly mark on our history. I really think it was just a hate crime, but my perspective is from the outside looking in.

No disagreement on your point here, DMC, but we are getting into a very broad and deep discussion here, perhaps better had over a drink.
My point, very simply, is that the media's tendency to ID a 'monster' by race or religious persuasion, is often misunderstood by most people on either side the debate and creates more friction than neccesary.

The answers are always beneath the surface, but 'breaking news' never seems to have the time for that. All thats left then, is just a lot of hate. That saddens me.

Agreed, it's always good to be on guard against any kind of -ism. But when the people doing evil tell you repeatedly why they are doing evil - if they stand in front of a camera with blood on their hands and explain it to you - at some point, you should take the evildoers at their word.

I too was very saddened by a senseless act of murder.Doing so in the name of a belief system is further proof that terrorists need little provocation to take human life.

This young man, chose to serve his country in the military; a selfless and altruistic act.

I applaude him for voluntarily placing himself into harms way.

Those humanoids that did this,need to be turned over to that soldiers family members.

Rest easy soldier.

Steve B

Agreed, it's always good to be on guard against any kind of -ism. But when the people doing evil tell you repeatedly why they are doing evil - if they stand in front of a camera with blood on their hands and explain it to you - at some point, you should take the evildoers at their word.

Very good analogy. Now if we could just get our governments and there bias media to think that way

At times like this I just have to come to the realization that there is no getting through to some people and add a few to the ignore list, actually for the first time since I have been on here.
Good luck to you all.

Here's a summary of our discussion Zarrd:

Statement: You're safer with a gun. This would never happen in America (Texas actually, put took your wider point) because we have guns.
Response: No you're not, and it has in fact happened in America. Gun ownership didn't save anyone or solve anything in those cases.
Result: Right, I'm putting you on the ignored list.

You're gonna run and hide because you don't like the counter argument? I'm more than happy to drop the whole thing.....but putting me on an ignore list for questioning what I perceive to be a few glaring holes in your initial argument is a little feeble, not to mention a lot defeatist, don't you think?

Come one mate, you're better than that.

PFOG, you're right. It's already been said that a gun would not have helped the soldier - he was run down by a car. Guns won't help if you're ambushed like that unless you're Quick Draw McGraw on constant lookout. I'd rather play the odds than live wired up like that.

zarrdoss, I think that we should do more to deal with overpopulation and women's education in developing countries, resource scarcity and climate change but I don't shoehorn my political views into irrelevant threads. We all feel passionate about whatever stuff we think we should be passionate about, but it comes down to dialling it back a notch for the sake of everyone's sanity.

Here's a summary of our discussion Zarrd:

Statement: You're safer with a gun. This would never happen in America (Texas actually, put took your wider point) because we have guns.
Response: No you're not, and it has in fact happened in America. Gun ownership didn't save anyone or solve anything in those cases.
Result: Right, I'm putting you on the ignored list.

You're gonna run and hide because you don't like the counter argument? I'm more than happy to drop the whole thing.....but putting me on an ignore list for questioning what I perceive to be a few glaring holes in your initial argument is a little feeble, not to mention a lot defeatist, don't you think?

Come one mate, you're better than that.

You appear to be doing your part to escalate things.

Perhaps a separate thread on gun control in the off topic lounge would be a good thing, then it wouldn't have to creep into threads like this one, where I think all the OP really wanted to do on behalf of, and with support of all us was say so long and rest easy drummer pal.

Perhaps a separate thread on gun control in the off topic lounge would be a good thing, then it wouldn't have to creep into threads like this one, where I think all the OP really wanted to do on behalf of, and with support of all us was say so long and rest easy drummer pal.

Not gonna happen. The forum rules explicitly state that political discussions are off-limits here. As well they should be. People just can't seem to help themselves.

Anyway, this is a terrible tragedy and my heart goes out to the loved ones of this soldier. Hell, this affects ALL of us. Just awful.

‘Once a Fusilier, always a Fusilier’.

&

"Once a Drummer, always a Drummer".

... Rest In Peace - Soldier Drummer!

Well, now you've got me wondering. Not to be confrontational or disagreeable in any way, but I'm curious to know how the murder of this British soldier affects us all?
I just mean in the sense that so many of us have been impacted by terrorism and its after-effects that incidents like this resonate with people far and wide. I guess I can't speak for everyone, but people around me in my little corner of the world have been affected by it.

Well, now you've got me wondering. Not to be confrontational or disagreeable in any way, but I'm curious to know how the murder of this British soldier affects us all?

It's a precedent that will now cost all western countries in implementing expensive knee jerk reactions. Of course we all have far more chance of dying in a car or by a self-inflicted gunshot wound but ...

It's a precedent that will now cost all western countries in implementing expensive knee jerk reactions. Of course we all have far more chance of dying in a car or by a self-inflicted gunshot wound but ...

Yes, that is exactly how it ends up affecting most of us.

I just mean in the sense that so many of us have been impacted by terrorism and its after-effects that incidents like this resonate with people far and wide. I guess I can't speak for everyone, but people around me in my little corner of the world have been affected by it.

Seriously? People in Detroit have been affected by the murder of this British soldier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back