Forty three and two instructional materials ...

Roughrider

Lets scrap the Forty!

For a beginner thats old enough to get serious about drumming, what would be your top three books and top two DVD's?

After this thread runs awhile, lets see if we can come to a concensus! Would sure help out some of the folks that come here looking for advice on material constantly

You only get 3 books and 2 dvds! (because I know some of you will look up on your shelf and give grocery lists)!

I have 5 days to shop before my new custom A's show up and I can complete my kit; then I'm going to be as full time as my body will allow on the throne. I'll be doing a monthly lesson as well.

Thanks folks...
GO!

Books:

1) Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone

2) Syncopation by Ted Reed

3) any ole' beat book.

DVD:
Back to Basics - Dave Weckl used to be my standard answer here, but I think it's been replaced with Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer by Jojo Mayer.

Or just get both and say that's your two.

Books:

1. Syncopation
2. Stick Control
3. Groove Essentials

DVDs:

1. Great Hands For a Lifetime
2. Steve Smith - Drumset Technique/History of the US Beat

Books

Groove Essentials
Art Of Bop Drumming
The New Breed

DVDs

Secret Weapons for The Modern Drummer.
Tommy Igoe's Great Hands For A lifetime

Last edited:
Books:
- Syncopation, Ted Reed
- Time Functioning Patterns, Gary Chaffee (best would be the entire Patterns-serie)
- Modern School For Snare Drum, Morris Goldenberg

DVDs:
- Secret Weapons For The Modern Drummer, Jojo Mayer

Not really sure about nr.2, because the Jojo Mayer DVD is the only one I've
gone through and thought was really good :s But I have ordered myself a few
new ones, both Groove Essentials by Tommy Igoe and The Language of Drumming
by Benny Greb. I hope all those 3 should be good enough for this list =)

I think it's important than since you only get 3 books and 2 DVDs, they have to
compliment each other. Fill each others gaps, so to speak.

For a begginer, I think these would be perfect:

Books:

1) Stick Control - G. L. Stone
2) Syncopation - Ted Reed
3) Great Hands For a Lifetime - Tommy Igoe

DVD's:

1) Great hands for a lifetime - Tommy Igoe
2) Groove Essentials 1 - Tommy Igoe

I think Tommy is a great educator, explains everything slowly and thoroughly, and repeats the exercises a lot of times for you to play along with him. I also have Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons DVD and though it's very inspirational, I find it hard to apply it and follow it.

Well, there you go, get a pad and some sticks and get busy! Cheers! :)

Great stuff everyone, I'm shopping right after this post. I'll get groove essentials and great hands ordered from amazon tonight.

I just picked up "The Drummers Bible" yesterday. Haven't seen a lot of talk about this one so will be interested to hear what others think of it. If it's different beats you're after this one has PLENNY.
http://www.amazon.com/Drummers-Bibl...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297093349&sr=1-1

Also check out "Classic Rock Drummers". This is more of a fun-oriented book, not an exercise/workout book.
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Rock-Drummers-They-Play/dp/0879309075

Benny Greb's DVD is great, some of the concepts are quite far ahead of "beginner", but it's a good introduction to things that will really matter to you once you hit the "intermediate" stage :)

Last edited:
i am a great lover of tommy igoe's books and dvds. i'm glad you're looking into those. not only are they great for beginners but there's enough challenging material in them to keep you busy for a long, long time!

I was going to name it three and two instructional materials, and for some reason forty-three-and two sounded better (it just kinda happened) I imagine it had something to do with my old tool inspirations. :)

I can only recommend Stick Control and Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer...but by gum*, can I recommend them!

*replace with similar word according to your preference. 'Jove', 'Jingo', 'Odin' etc.

Books:

1. Syncopation
^ This is honestly (with some creativity) the only book you need. but if you most get two more
2. Stick Control
3. The Art of bop

DVDs.

1 Back to basics - Dave Weckyl
2. Stuff LIVE AT MONTREUX!!!!!! <- epic Gadd-spiration

So here is what I've picked up thus far:

1) Stick Control
2) Syncopation
3) Groove Essentials

DVD's:

1) Great Hands for a Lifetime
2) Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer

Books:

1. Stick Control
2. Groove Essentials
3. Drummer's Bible

DVDs:

1. Groove Essentials 1
2. Hands for Lifetime

Benny Greb and Jojo Mayer's DVDs also great, but Tommy Igoe takes it for the great teaching approach

Back