Nature's magic.

That is very cool. I can see why it's so satisfying. Transformation!

Oh gosh. I just love wood!
That was wonderful.
That was almost as good as..........
Playing wooden drums.

Man that's gorgeous watching "the reveal" of the wood grain-so you use shellac rather than varnish or polyurethane.

We have the secretions of the Lac bug to thank for making wood more beautiful than it is naturally. Shellac and lacquer, brought to you courtesy of the Lac bug. Then Andy tops it with beeswax. Guru drums are slathered in insect secretions, yummy.

Wow, that's all kinds of exciting and beautiful!

Dumb guy question: Are you essentially spreading a certain amount around the entire shell or is the applicator releasing more shellac with each contact with the shell?

Yeah, pretty sure I failed woodshop back in middle school...

Interesting bit of information Larry--I now have a newfound appreciation for insect secretions!

Nice replies guys :) A bit of contextual info:

although I'm not hung up on insect secretions, bleached shellac is absolutely my favourite finishing medium for our drums. It's way more work than any spray application, but worth it in terms of featuring the wood rather than featuring the "finish".

This is the application of the scratch / sealing coat. It's quickly applied, although it still needs to be even. once dry, it's sanded back down to near bare wood, then we build up layers from that foundation, sanding between each layer.

The applicator is called a rubber (calm down American types :). It's a lint free cloth filled with shredded cotton waste. You "feed" the rubber by adding shellac to the filling, not by dipping it into the shellac. Essentially, you control the flow of shellac by squeezing it / applying pressure. In later applications, different motions are used to get an even effect, although the wood type often dictates that. For example, zebrano dictates all vertical strokes, whereas this segmented shell benefits from multi directional application.

The reason for posting this was to offer a little insight, but also to share the joy of the first "reveal" = always special. The iridescence of this species & construction under changing light blows me away every time :)

The iridescence of this species & construction under changing light blows me away every time :)

"Iridescent" was exactly the word that came into my head. So many colours, and so different depending where the light hits them.

Thanks for the explanation Andy. Gives me even more appreciation for all of the work and attention to detail that goes into these instruments. I can only imagine how satisfying it is for you to bring something so beautiful to life.

Another question, kind of weird I suppose: With so, so many hours of physical experience you have crafting these drums (as well as the mental experience of designing), do you get emotionally attached to them?

I did a tongue oil finish on some bubinga shells and they would do the same thing under changing light. Amazing how deep the wood grain appears, eh? At certain angles it would look like you could see down into the wood grain 3 or 4 inches.

"Iridescent" was exactly the word that came into my head. So many colours, and so different depending where the light hits them.
Never fails to please :)

do you get emotionally attached to them?
Oh yes - every one of them. I have to pinch myself every time one goes away to a new home. Although this may sound stupid, I've actually refused to sell on a few occasions, because I thought the buyer was an idiot. Not exactly a recommended business strategy, but I don't care. I can't cope with the idea of an idiot owning one of our instruments.

I did a tongue oil finish on some bubinga shells and they would do the same thing under changing light.
You used your tongue? = Brave!!!!!

I've actually refused to sell on a few occasions, because I thought the buyer was an idiot. Not exactly a recommended business strategy, but I don't care. I can't cope with the idea of an idiot owning one of our instruments.

Andy you make me laugh. You can't cope with the idea of an idiot owning one of your instruments. That's priceless. You'll never hear John Goode say that.
I'm just glad I made the grade. What I don't understand is...using that as a benchmark, how did spleeeen ever get a drum?

SPLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!

:)

*runs for cover*

"I've actually refused to sell on a few occasions, because I thought the buyer was an idiot." OMG all my hopes and dreams dashed before my eyes. Well at least I know it's because I'm an idiot and not that I'm not Guru-vy enough.

Well I find this somewhat distressing cause I find this more exciting than watching a video of Andy rubbing sun tan lotion on some Tahitian beauty. Spleeeen I may be in need of therapy. Wood fetish.

Back