DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:35 PM
Gold Member

Default Fat bastard...

So. I've touched upon the issue of my weight before. I'm truly a giant. I'm 6'2'' and weigh 25 Stone. I'm huge.

Paradoxically I've never really felt unfit. I can play a one hour set of pretty fast paced music. I don't particularly suffer, although for a good ten minutes after a set I struggle and often need to go to the car and set the air con on full blast to just cool off.

I went into the hospital about two months ago with a suspected heart attack. Which turned out to be nothing of the sort. Just pulled a muscle in my chest and had mistaken some real soreness with a heart issue. And despite my weight and size the doctor there called me out as a "medical miracle". A good heartbeat. Top end of normal cholestoral (no medicines required). Normal blood pressure.

However, he did a very good job of putting the fear of god in me by telling me how, especially for big guys like me, problems will begin to come along like a sniper in the night. If I don't do something sharpish, this pleasant Asian doctor said to me "you'll be felled". And "that'll be that". Thanks Doc I said :-)

So...I made a resolution to take the bull by the horn no matter how much it hurts, inconveniences, generally puts me out.

I don't have a really unhealthy diet. I eat decent food. And not in large amounts. I only drink at the weekend. I will drink quite a lot. Perhaps half a dozen pints each Friday and Saturday. The main problem has always been a lack of exercise. I know this. I'm lazy when it comes to serious exercise.

So. I've swapped beer for white wine. Cut down on bread. And.....I've started walking each evening when I get home from work. It's been a modest start. 1.88km per night for a full week now. However this is up and down a rather large hill called, sort of ominously 'The Summit'.

First couple of nights I struggled. Then I got a bad back. Tonight I feel as fit as a fiddle. I don't think I've dropped any weight. Just got home and feel really good. Nowhere near as tired as I have been. And the bad back has gone. Perhaps just my back telling me that it isn't used to this level of exercise.

I intend to build the distance up each week.

I'm quite stoked. And keen to continue. Does anyone have any tips here? I'm sure there must be other big guys who have been forced onto fitness regimes ??
Old 11-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Fat bastard...

I will tell you how I lost 50+ pounds because my doctor also put the hammer down. She told me the five worst things to eat were, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, and sweets. So if it's white stay away from it. The dietician where I worked told me to read food labels and not to eat more than about 40-45 grams of carbs per meal. That is 2 slices of bread, so then no other carbs. Told me to forget the % column and look at the grams. I'm not sure what you gain by switching from beer to wine, with the sugars in wine, but check the carbs. This worked for me and that is all Im saying.
Also check the fiber content on the food label. fiber slows down the absorption of sugars and will also help your blood. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I will tell you how I lost 50+ pounds because my doctor also put the hammer down. She told me the five worst things to eat were, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, and sweets. So if it's white stay away from it. The dietician where I worked told me to read food labels and not to eat more than about 40-45 grams of carbs per meal. That is 2 slices of bread, so then no other carbs. Told me to forget the % column and look at the grams. I'm not sure what you gain by switching from beer to wine, with the sugars in wine, but check the carbs. This worked for me and that is all Im saying.
Also check the fiber content on the food label. fiber slows down the absorption of sugars and will also help your blood. Good luck.
I was told dry white wine is better than the heavy real ales I'd normally drink.

And I don't quaff white wine as I can quaff ale. It seemed to make logical sense but I'm all ears if I'm dropping the ball here.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Carbs are the first thing the body burns when we exercise, so if we have an abundance, the fat will never burn. I would Google wines and compare the sugars compared to beer. You can probably Google the particular brand and find out exactly. Starches turn to sugar or carbs right away hence the reason for none of the white stuff. Sweet potatoes , brown rice, and this little tip. If you have to have bread, freeze it. Then thaw it completely, and then toast it. It cuts the sugars by about 50 percent. Have your Doc check your blood for A1C, which is an indicator for Type 2 diabetes when creeps up on us as we get older and heavier.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Please don’t consider me the “fitness police” I hate them sorts.. Just offering my opinion since you raised it.

1. You can’t out exercise a bad diet. It’s calories in calories out (aka CICO).

2. Burning more calories through exercise is a plus – no doubt.

3. A well balanced plan – cardio and resistance training – helps tremendously!

4. Forget the idea of a “diet” – diets are short lived no matter how many pounds you drop. It’s all about lifestyle change.

5. Beer – chips – pizza – carbs - and all that can be incorporated into your life if done carefully.

6. You may learn SO much about yourself if you begin to log your food and do it truthfully. You may be amazed at the calories you’re consuming within given portion sizes and foods you may be considering “not a big deal”

Actually - you really don't need to exercise to lose weight. Losing weight begins in the kitchen. Getting fit comes with exercise.

I lost 50 lbs in a year and as part of that process – learned a good deal about myself and how to turn around my lifestyle. I joined MFP and it helped me launch the path.

No one-shoe-fits-all here. Everyone chooses a different path.

We are all works in progress and as a result the need to assess and readdress is required.

Not much different than being a drummer.

Find what works for you and hit it.

Last edited by dmacc; 11-12-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Squad, your post touches me deeply. I’m 65 years old and I recently came back to drum playing. It’s now my favorite hobby and I’m having the time of my life playing drums. Super fun for me. So I wondered, how long will I be able to keep playing? I’m retired and I’m no longer working a 9 to 5 job. And how long will I be able to load and unload my drums.

I realized that if I want to keep playing drums I will need to get into, and stay in, better shape.
I changed my diet (I’m losing weight now) and I’m going to the local gym every day. Only costs $25 per month.

I HATE exercising! So I listen to music while I exercise. I study the songs and specifically the drum parts while I exercise.
I also listen to recordings of my playing while I exercise. And I evaluate how I play.

I still HATE exercising. But I do it because I love playing the drums.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:05 PM
Gold Member

First off, I commend you on your newfound commitment to health. I was told by a doctor once that we spend 30 years trying to kill ourselves and the rest trying to save ourselves. I am a bit of a health nut and I cant imagine trying to play the way I do without some form of cardiovascular fitness, but it doesn't seem to bother you, so you must have much better form than I do.

I have never really been somebody trying to lose weight, but I have met plenty of people who have and I will tell you that diet is the most important factor. You can work out until your heart explodes, but if your diet is poor you wont drop a pound. I am of the mind that bad food is as addicting as any other drug, and trying to wean yourself from it is equally as difficult. It will be tough going, but if you have a support system in place anything is possible.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

It's funny you mention white wine. When I saw the topic of the thread, I immediately though of a sauvignon blanc: http://fatbastardwine.com

Anyway. My philosophy is, as long as you move enough, you can eat and drink all you want. Better of course is moving a lot AND eating well and not drinking too much.

My tip would be, find a buddy and walk, run or work out together. I found that this is the only way for me to keep moving, because I find it too boring to jog alone.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Administrator - Mayor

What DMACC says is right on. For me, it was not a diet, but a change in life style. Diets come and go. I read that habits take 21 days to form or change. Find what works for you and stick with it. It will take a while but you'll love yourself for it.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

Try eating more vegetables. Vegetables are filling and don't have many calories. At the same time play drums for exercise. Actually moving gear is exercise so play more gigs. Just don't eat bar food.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:48 PM

Fatty here too. My fitness pal is a great tool if you are interested in counting calories. It helps me to lose weight...i just have low self control and over eat a lot. I like food.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Please,dont "Diet" as in the extreme fad stuff that is popular every so often. What always happens is people lose lots of weight fast, then the body wonders what is going on, the diet stops and all the weight goes back on.

Small changes are the way to go, that way the body hardly notices and you dont feel like you are stuck in some sort of brutal regime. Eat a little less and do a little more. When you are used to that you could exercise more.

Exercise douse not have to mean running or gym membership, If you are sedentary walking is great. If you drive to work dont drive all the way, walk the last mile, so you walk the last mile back to the car at the end of the day. If you commute by train get off a stop earlier If that is possible, If not just walk the long way round from the station.

As I say, small changes make a huge difference and you dont feel grim doing it. Dont buy into the fallacy that you are either an athlete or a slob, there are levels of exercise that suit everyone and they dont need to impinge on your life too much. Good luck mate.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:50 PM

Congratulations on resolving to live a healthier lifestyle.

I apologize in advance that my tips are neither fun nor easy.

Tips to consider:

Focus on your nutrition (not "dieting"). Weight loss is usually 80-90% nutrition and 10-20% exercise.

Although walking is great exercise, try not to think of it (or any other physical activity) as being "exercise."

Eating small portions of "decent food" is a great start. Try to eat food that you prepared rather than restaurant or pub food.

Monitor alcohol intake (or consider abstaining from alcohol even for a little while). Alcohol is full of empty carbs (your hunger is not satiated by drinking and instead may lead to poor meal choices). Further, it is better to have a drink or two each day than binge drinks on the weekend.

Try to reduce the amount of sugar and salt consumed.

Set short term goals for weight loss, for example, striving to lose approximately 1 lb. a week.

Allow yourself a "cheat meal" once in awhile (or once a week).

Always remember that a lifestyle change does not happen overnight and lasts for the rest of your life.

I hope these tips are helpful. Good luck, your drumming buddies are cheering for you!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:19 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I have also been told to shop the periphery of the grocery store. That's where all of the fresh, healthy, un-canned, unboxed, food is normally placed.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:20 PM

Just one word for you: consistency.

You make light of your walking schedule, SL, but I'm telling you: just keep it up. It's exactly the right thing to do.

I really think that the particulars of a exercise/diet regimen are secondary to implementing them consistently, day after day, week after week, month after month. Too many people either give up too quickly when they don't see immediate results, or can't adhere to a regular schedule - taking a week off here, a few days there, etc. etc.

Not to say you can't have a night off from diet and/or exercise. You can and should. But those times should be rare exceptions (which, in the wonderful world of self-discipline, turns them into luxuries).
Old 11-12-2015, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Way Jose View Post
Try eating more vegetables. Vegetables are filling and don't have many calories. At the same time play drums for exercise. Actually moving gear is exercise so play more gigs. Just don't eat bar food.
I wasn't even trying to lose weight, but there is absolutely zero doubt to anyone around me that by simply going vegetarian about 7 or 8 years ago, I immediately started to lose weight, my blood pressure is still getting better as of my last doc visit(I fight stress BP issues) and this is gross, but honestly, my digestion and associated acts are miles better than the un-predictable nonsense of my meat eating days.

Through the years I've done different types of exercise and had hobbies that burn calories, but the one and only consistent change for the whole time was cutting meat from the diet. It is so much easier to eat fewer calories per portion that it's not even something I pay attention to anymore.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Another vegetarian here. It helps a bit but I don't do the vegetarian diet 'well' - I still eat pizza. Quite a lot. Done 'properly' it does have benefits or so I read.

Anyhow. I'm also a fairly big chap. At one point I was 6'2", 20 stone - not quite as big as you but still big enough to cause small indentations in the Earth's crust. The problem for me was that I never really looked my weight because of my frame. What changed for me was a huge lifestyle shift. At that point, I wasn't working and I was living with my parents with my Mum's (brilliant) but generous portions.

For the last 2 1/2 years or so I've lived on my own and worked consistently (up until a couple of months ago when I had issues with my workplace) and I dropped four stone by just 'living'. No significant changes to anything that I noticed - I ate a bit less and was a lot more active working a job that required me to be on my feet a lot. Since I left my last place I've put a bit back on but I know it will come off again when I'm walking around my new work. I start on Monday, went in for a day today and I know for a fact it'll happen. I'm currently around 17 1/2 stone.

Dieting, etc. can help but in my experience consistent, small changes in lifestyle make a huge difference. Eating a portion 3/4 the size of what you would ordinarily eat, walking (well done, by the way) or even just parking the car further down the road from work can add up to a lot. Where I was working before, I had to park my car 1/2 a mile from work and walk through the park every morning - it was lovely! Gave me time to prepare myself and to wind down at the end of the day.

Don't buy into any of the diets in particular, just think about moderation. There's no need to cut anything out, just eat a bit less of it.

I'm not bastion or great example of health (fairly heavy smoker) but once you start feeling a bit better and you keep it going, you start feeling a lot better and your mood improves. You start feeling better about yourself and it works into a positive reinforcement spiral. It's all good! Don't be disheartened if you don't lose weight one week, just keep at the small changes. Losing a small amount each week is far healthier than dropping 10 Ibs for two weeks and you are more likely to keep it going.

From one big guy to another, well done.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Be sure to drink lots of microstructured water.

The regular stuff has the wrong shaped molecules to allow easy assimilation.

Pfffft! As if.

Nothing but encouragement from me for your goal of improved fitness. I have no understanding of these stones of which you speak, but I will accept that you are large machine of a man, becoming a slightly smaller machine of a man.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

That's exactly it James, buy into a load of pseudo-scientific bullshit without doing your research, that's the way sonny! Of course I'll 'never understand' but who would understand such utter tripe?!

;-)
Old 11-13-2015, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Squad, get a personal trainer and let them be your guilty conscience.

I only paid attention to the nutritionist I was sent to because she was a beautiful woman. If it was a guy telling me to shape up, I probably would have told him to go screw.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:54 AM

I second the suggestions here to use Calorie Counter or My Fitness Pal. You may be shocked at how many calories you are actually eating.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member

I'm a fortunate one.

For me:

1: Drink water instead of anything else.
2: Eat more vegetables and less of everything else.
3: Exercise a bit more.

I generally weigh 180-185. Whenever I get up to 200, I just stop eating like a nut and drink only water (instead of juice/beer/pop/etc).

This means:
Stop eating a whole family sized bag of Doritos all by myself in a single sitting.
Stop having 3 full dinners every night (6PM, 10PM, midnight)
Stop the double servings of rice/potatoes/egg noodles + gravy at dinner
Stop eating 'two' Chipotle burritos / 5Guy's burgers any time I grab FFood.
Stop eating three Bacon/Egg/Cheese bagels for breakfast.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:24 AM
Gold Member

Start slow with making changes to your diet and exercise.
Think of healthier choices for meals and snacks and replace things over time. Eating whole foods vs. processed foods can make a big difference.
If you can't cook, then learn. You can take control of what you're eating while finding tasty and healthful ways to eat.

I'm just under 6'2 and once weighed in at about 240lbs. It took a couple of years, but went down to about 190lbs as a result of doing the above and incorporating some at home exercise. I'd say its been 10 or 12 years and I haven't put on the weight again.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:32 AM
Silver Member

Squad Lead, a few additional thoughts for your consideration (and mine) since you've asked:

"Useless calories" are useless. (soda, alcohol, breads/pastries/carbs/sugars, etc.) - treat yourself, but cutting back will be huge

When to eat. time of day that you take in calories matters - large breakfast or lunch, burn those calories the rest of the day - I know someone that refuses to eat a meal or a snack after 6pm.

Lean meats. Eat protein. poultry, eggs, some dairy...veggies. The size of the palm of your hand is the "ideal" portion size (I am told)

Walking and cardio exercise. Start slow, modest goals and gains and do not get discouraged. Build upon these gains weekly/monthly by doing a bit more.

Weights. Incorporate some anaerobic to build muscle - slowly, modestly - the muscle feeds off the fat. Resist the urge to eat more or the same quantities - drink water. Work large muscle groups - consider it sculpting... start slow.

Sleep. 7-8 hours nightly uninterrupted.

Drink water instead of eating between meals. Treat yourself, but cut back on useless calories.

Grunt, DMACC, Hollywood others have hit on some very key points - be encouraged, brother. I dropped 35 over a three month period last year once I set my mind to it...
Old 11-13-2015, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

The trick is to not let your body think that it is starving. That's when the metabolism slows way down and the body goes into hibernation mode. Every four days of dieting, you should eat normal on the fifth day. then four or three more dayss , then normal. It's called cycle dieting.

Another good one is the Carbohydrate Addict's diet. You only eat carbs during one hour per day.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:20 AM
Dutch
This message has been deleted by Dutch.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:24 AM

So how much is 25 stone? I could Google it, but I'm too lazy, lol.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Replacing beer with white wine probably won't do you any good...
Unless you're trying to snare a classier boyfriend.

From reading the OP, I don't think that's what's going on here.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Phil View Post
So how much is 25 stone? I could Google it, but I'm too lazy, lol.
Depends on the size of the stones (I'm too lazy to tell you :)

We've met, & although you're a big lad, you're obviously in generally good condition judging by how you play. You're also, by far, not the biggest guy I know who plays drums, so I'd guess some long term lifestyle "fine tuning" is the best route for you. A wakeup call is exactly that - a big nudge in the right direction. I'm sure you'll do just fine :)
Old 11-13-2015, 11:03 AM

I lost 4 stone by tracking diet and exercise with 'my fitness pal' and I quit drinking.
Lost 2 stone in the first 6 months, the other 2 stone took a year.

Cycling and running did it for me- I did 20 miles a day on the bike or a 4 mile run, 6 days a week.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Basics are:

Strength before cardio.
Get enough sleep.
Don't be afraid to eat, just eat heathy. Want a bagle? Eat a carrot. Actually as many veggies as it takes.
No soda or fruit juice.
Sleep

Specifics as to best nutrition sources depend on heritage, but the general bloodtype idea is pretty darn close.

Your body will really tell you. If you crave chips, your body is actually telling what it needs, there are simply better ways to get that fat, salt or carbs and the real nutrients in the real food will stop the cravings much better because they actually contain the whole spectrum that you body wants and needs. With the empty calories you'll just keep on eating hoping to fill those needs.

A sort heavy carb day might actually be good for your insuline sensitivity. So taking it out on the weekends isn't necessarily bad as long as that's not the norm.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Hi Squad Leader this is good advice but I'd say that your own grams limit is something you identify in consultation with your medic.

I have type 2 and where I live over the Pennines from you the health service provides a one-day course called DESMOND for those newly diagnosed with diabetes. If they run it in your area and even if you don't have diabetes I'd recommend you ask to go on it. It's run by pukka dieticians and is a real eye-opener.

In any case buy some decent kitchen scales and use them. Pasta in sensible portions is good actually, as is basmati rice (no other kind) as they are "slow-uptake" in relation to blood sugar. Portion size is the thing. Nobody on my DESMOND course was a habitual junk food couch potatoe. We all took pride in having good food habits - cooking from fresh ingredients etc etc. BUT we simply eat way too much E.g. before diagnosis I'd have easily used >100g (dry) of pasta but nowadays I weigh out 65g max.

Fortunately for me by counting carb grams and cutting out sugar from other sources I can maintain normal blood sugar with just one metformin tab a day. I've reduced calorie levels overall so am losing weight and can still have beers in the week. Several actually....
Old 11-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Ghostnote

The biggest factor when it comes to exercising to lose weight is to do cardio for a long enough time to actually start burning body fat. I had a buddy of mine complain to me about the fact that he would workout HARD for a half hour every night and he wasn't losing any weight. I explained to him that it was because he wasn't working out for long enough.

Ever been exerting yourself for a half hour or so and then you started to feel like you were going to collapse? Chances are, if you experienced this and fought through it, you probably felt really grim for 10mins or so and then got your "second wind". What happened was that it took about half and hour for your body to use up your stored glycogen. When that was used up it took your body about 10 mins to switch over to being able to get the energy it needs to keep going by metabolizing your other reserve of stored energy- body fat.

That's why, at least in the beginning, you don't want to focus so much on the intensity of your workout, but the duration that you workout. 45 mins is a good time to shoot for to ensure that you are actually burning body fat for 10-15 mins. Intensity comes later as you get fitter. The duration can increase later as well, to an hour if you have the time, but 45 mins is the minimum amount of time. If you're walking, you want to eventually be doing a pretty intense power walk. You don't have to run, but you want to be walking just about as fast as you can without going into contortions to ensure your heart rate is up around 100 bpm while you're working out. Once again, the intensity comes later when you can handle it. The important thing right now is to be getting into the habit of walking 45 mins everyday.

Once your workouts get a little more intense your metabolism will start to speed up and that means you start burning more calories all day, every day, even when your not working out.

Wine is no better than beer. It's the alcohol that has the calories. Alcohol has more calories per gram than either fat or sugar, so if your drinking something like Guinness that is 4%, then it's probably better than wine. Just try to cut down to 3 or 4 instead of a half dozen. Also limit your consumption of bread, sugar, pasta, and potatoes and only eat whole grains, no white bread, pasta, or rice. Whole grains are harder for your body to break down and are much more nutritious and healthy.

Good luck and just stick with it. Consistency over time is the key.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:26 PM

I started my journey nearly 3 years ago to get a 'revenge bod', although I didn't know that's what I was doing at the time. Or what that term was.

Age caught up and the pounds piled on due to no exercise and really poor eating with sweets. I joined a gym, began working out 60-90 min each morning before work and it wasn't long before I realized that all that effort wouldn't pay off if I didn't change my diet.

I poured the salt and sugar down the drain, started buying low fat alternatives. Went with low fat Fig Newtons instead of Oreo's etc...

I lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks, the right way. Kept it off since. Actually, I was beginning to look like a prisoner of war, so I found my happy weight and have worked to maintain it (6'2"/200lbs) for the last couple of years.

There's no magic in it at all. Get your but up and go get 60-90 min a day of exercise including cardio and strength and eat better. I will NEVER diet. I plan on having an entire frozen pizza for dinner tonight (per tradition) but I put in 100 minutes this morning at the gym. And I'll be back there tomorrow morning. Yes, even on the weekends. I am more fit than when I was in my 20's (45), I feel great every day, my girl loves my stamina (LOL) and I look pretty good naked (LOL/LOL). It will be the way it is til I die.

Oh, and my triglyceride meds for my fatty liver? I cured it on my own. No pills needed. That was my "doctor scare" moment. That and the need to date again hahahaha
Old 11-13-2015, 05:32 PM
Gold Member

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

I intend gradually building up the walks. At the moment it's a 30 or so minute walk over a couple of kilometres...but it is fairly challenging. I hope to build up to jogging at some point. Next week I will add some extra streets and will continue as such.

I used to enjoy it as a younger bloke. I'm just too big at the moment hence the walking. IT would wreck my knees and back. But that's the hope.

I also do a good hours drumming each night...which i hope will also add to the overall fitness drive.

I used to cycle to work many years ago..it's just too dangerous these days to cycle into the city. But perhaps I'll take up some cycling here in the suburbs at some point.

I don't think I have it in me to go on any fancy diets. Really, I have to be honest with myself here. I have cut down, a lot. No more coffee and tea in the day, just water. And I've taken sweet stuff straight out of my entire diet.

Thanks again everyone...great help
Old 11-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Why can't you have coffee/tea? Both have no calories if you don't add them.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Why can't you have coffee/tea? Both have no calories if you don't add them.
Can't drink them black without sugar mate. Bleurgh.

And at work they drink a brew probably every half hour.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

Take a dog.
No kidding, we have a dog since a few months, I have never walked so much in my life and so enjoyably. She's always in for a walk no matter what time of day or weather.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
I realized that if I want to keep playing drums I will need to get into, and stay in, better shape.
I changed my diet (I’m losing weight now) and I’m going to the local gym every day. Only costs $25 per month.

I HATE exercising! So I listen to music while I exercise. I study the songs and specifically the drum parts while I exercise.
I also listen to recordings of my playing while I exercise. And I evaluate how I play.

I still HATE exercising. But I do it because I love playing the drums.

Oh lordy, these words ring true.... I so hate to exercise. The kind where you do stuff inside, lifting, running in place, etc.

But Jim your words raised the lid a bit and I might have to reconsider. Your solution just might work for me.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
Can't drink them black without sugar mate. Bleurgh.

And at work they drink a brew probably every half hour.
As a Californian, I sometimes forget that some weirdos in some parts of the world (and US) for some reason enjoy sugaring up their teas. I think it tastes absolutely vile, and nearly retched the first time I was un-knowingly served "sweet tea" while on a business trip in the south.

Anyhoo, there are tons of very tasty herbal teas that have a lot of flavor and even "sweetness" without adding sugar. Look for things like "rubios" (SIC).
Old 11-13-2015, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Dont stop drinking coffee. Black ground coffee helps the body metabolize fat, why do you think pro cyclists drink it. I used to take two sugars in tea and coffee but gave the sugar up. After a few weeks a drink with sugar in it tastes foul. You have to make a few changes to make a difference, make dropping the sugar in coffee one of them. Coffee is one of lifes great pleasures.