Former MOTÖRHEAD Drummer PHIL 'PHILTHY ANIMAL' TAYLOR Dies At 61

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Very sad news. Phil Taylor was (as many of you know) the guy that invented (ie. first recorded) the most anti-social drum beat in history!!... the 16th note double bass drum groove that has been copied a thousand times.

What may be overlooked is his absolutely unique hi-hat approach in hard rock. I have never heard anyone else like him in that respect. I saw him live with Motorhead around 1988 (I'll have to find the ticket, which I still have) and he was great. His recordings with Motorhead were really their best suff and it's a body of work I would urge any drummer to listen to.

I'll be playing "Ace of Spades" in my pub band tomorrow night and we will dedicate it to him. Great character.

Wow he died young. I know lots of people that are 61 years old.

Last edited:
Phil Taylor was a HUGE influence on my drumming style. Met him a couple of times & he as a genuine nice bloke. Will be sorely missed. R.I.P fella.

wow that makes me sad.. phil was an awesome drummer.. and i loved motor head (at least til Eddie left..)

When the track Overkill, with its 16th note double-bass drum groove, came out in the early 1980s it was the first time I'd heard it played with such power and speed.

Guys are much faster now, but it was a pioneering moment in rock/metal.

The blue print for double bass and how I started playing along with that song Overkill.

But also his karakter as a person can always make me smile as I dig that British humor and nutty kind of charm.

Rip! The will never be a drummer like you!

Say hey to everyone in rock n roll heaven for me. It must be by now.

Vocal: Dio
Guitar: Randy Rhoads
Bass: Cliff Burton
Drums: Philty

Back