Whoops I just did something spontaneous

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
And paid for a 4 day drum fantasy camp.

http://www.drumfantasycamp.com/camp.htm

Argh.. I figured it would have sold by the time I wake up tomorrow and if I can't get the funds for travel I'll just cop the cancellation fee.

So what have I gotten myself into? Anyone been? I think Tony has?

:D

I am jealous man - I was going to go to a similar camp in California but backed out. I was looking at the camp you signed up for Dre and it looks cool. I didn't see anything on the web site about equipment - like what kit will you be practicing on?

MM

I'm not sure if there are kits to practice on but I will take a pad just in case. There's 3 jam nights over the 4 days and an opportunity to sit in.

Virgil is my favourite drummer and I'm a big fan of Dave DiCenso. I am excited about Chris and Dave Weckl too. Basically I've never travelled and I wanna see the USA so this should be cool.. I'll try figure out a nice holiday around the dates.. Any tips on where to go are welcome. I figured NYC and Niagra falls are a must see. Fingers crossed I can raise the $$, should be ok though.

WhoIsTony attended this a couple years ago and said it was fantastic. I almost went last year but I really, really wanted to attend when Erskine was there and he hasn't been the last two years so I made a bunch of excuses and didn't go. Still kind of regret it.

.Any tips on where to go are welcome. I figured NYC and Niagra falls are a must see. Fingers crossed I can raise the $$, should be ok though.

Dre you are a good 4 hours away from Niagra and probably 8 hours away from NYC - if I have the camp location correct (Cleveland suburbs).

MM

I've been Dre... and it was fantastic ...

the classes are long but full of substance

the drums you will play on in class will be the brand of whatever the particular teacher endorses

for example in Daves class room there will be his kit and then another Yamaha for you to play on .

I recommend bringing a pad and a snare stand to mount it on so that you don't have to have it sitting on your lap in class

the House Of Blues show on opening night is great.... I recommend getting there a day early and volunteering to tech for the day at House Of Blues.... it is a priceless experience and a chance for you to set up all of their kits and really get to hang with the guys and talk on a personal level before all the learning begins

I became Keith Carlocks personal tech for the night because no one else knew how he liked his gear arranged before he arrived... so I just sort of fell into the roll and it was awesome .
once he showed up he was surprised that his kit was very close to where he likes it....
we spoke about mutual friends we have in NYC and just shot the shit for a few hours.

the only guy there this year that was there when i was there will be Dave Weckl ....DO NOT miss his classes!!!...... they are ridiculously amazing.

also jamming with Vinnie Valentino and the band is always a trip ..... those guys are monsters

if you get a chance to get to NYC hit me up

Looks great, good for you for grabbing the opportunity and combining with some travel as well, I hope you have a great time, drumming and travelling. If you do stop by NYC, be sure to visit Steve Maxwell drums!

Thanks! I bet it's awesome. I'm sure Ohio is nice but I'd be crazy to miss NYC even if it is 8 hours away, I've never been anywhere but Bali. I think I have relatives in upstate NY. And thanks Tony, it would be cool to meet. I think I might shoot you some pms soon, heh :)

Unfortunatly you are going to one of the worst cities in America. Cleveland is a pit, but there are some things to do. You could catch an Indians game (baseball), for a little slice of Americana. Cleveland also has a nice little restraunt and bar district that is a good time after hours.

If you could pull it off I would arrange a flight out of New York and take a train from Cleveland to NYC, spend a couple of days in the city then fly home. It wont be cheap by any means, New York City is very expensive. But to come to America and only seeing Cleveland would be a shame.

You gotta see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland and seeing a Tribe's game would be fun. If you go to the east coast then yeah NY is a must. If you can head up north to Boston after NYC - and I would avoid Niagra Falls - tbh it is kind of an arm pit. One of the cool things about the east coast is so many cities are so close. The Unites States is pretty large but when you get to the east coast it gets really small.

If you can head up north to Boston after NYC - and I would avoid Niagra Falls - tbh it is kind of an arm pit.

That depends on where you go. I've been to the falls more times than I can count (we're 4 hours away but my wife's family is only about 45 minutes from there). It can be absolutely stunning in the winter (no crowds and everything is free as well). The city of Niagara Falls can be ratty in spots and some parts of the falls are overly commercialized but it is an amazing sight. Definitely visit the Canadian side as well. Follow the river to the whirlpool, power plant and ultimately to Revolutionary War era Fort Niagara that overlooks Lake Ontario. And if you've never seen the Great Lakes, well "great" is not an understatement.

For an interesting take on upstate NY, you can take a bike trip from Buffalo to Albany (state capital, a couple hours north of NYC) along the historic Erie Canal Bikeway. They have tours that do this. I think it takes about a week to cover 300+ miles. I haven't done the tour but have biked several parts of the Bikeway.

Thanks Bo. Turns out I have family in Ohio and Pittsburgh, not upstate new york. Also have a cousin who moved from Australia to Salt Lake city, I could prob stay with her for sure.

My dad reckons I should stay for a month and go to a few places, starting to lean that way.

Back