Novak moves to Sakae.

jaysticks

Just found out one of my favourite players Gary Novak has jumped ship from Yamaha to Sakae, along with others such as Kirk Covington and Ndugu Chancler. Not too sure why, a few drummer friends have told me they're ok drums but nothing special. The three ply shell is done by several companies, most notably Ludwig with their legacy line, although the shells might be made by the same people that did the old Yamaha stuff, the hardware quality doesn't look as good, and the upside mount looks bad. Is it money?Is it that the endorsers know something about the quality of the new Yamaha drums?Not only does it look bad on Yamaha, it also diminishes the trust in following artists and recreating your favourite players sound, as he/she will be playing company b's product next week!Answers on a postcard to passionate drummer joe public who is trying to find the best product and not be swallowed and ripped off by drum marketing!

Just found out one of my favourite players Gary Novak has jumped ship from Yamaha to Sakae, along with others such as Kirk Covington and Ndugu Chancler. Not too sure why, a few drummer friends have told me they're ok drums but nothing special. The three ply shell is done by several companies, most notably Ludwig with their legacy line, although the shells might be made by the same people that did the old Yamaha stuff, the hardware quality doesn't look as good, and the upside mount looks bad. Is it money?Is it that the endorsers know something about the quality of the new Yamaha drums?Not only does it look bad on Yamaha, it also diminishes the trust in following artists and recreating your favourite players sound, as he/she will be playing company b's product next week!Answers on a postcard to passionate drummer joe public who is trying to find the best product and not be swallowed and ripped off by drum marketing!

Who buys a kit because some one famous uses it? Waste of time and money. I could sit down behind Novak's personal kit will never sound anything like him.

To be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

When Yamaha decides who's face to run in an add, it's a long list of guys. If you're a Yamaha endorser, you're always behind Gadd & Weckl as the top dog.

Sakae doesn't have that many top names. So a guy that has some name has a much better chance you're going to appear in their advertising.

And maybe Sakae offered to guarantee a certain number of clinics or some such benefit.

Also, the President of Yamaha drums stepped down a few years ago. Some USA staff was cut during the height of the recession. So while Yamaha does have many of the same employees they've had for 10-20 years, they also don't have some of the same guys that were there 10 years ago that build up some of the endorser relationships.

A very astute and knowledgeable reply, thanks for that. I was thinking that the quality of Yamaha's product might be in question, or the artists are getting a better product elsewhere, but as you point out at that business level there are many factors involved. Yamaha black 9000 played by Gadd, no one influenced by that?errrr...

To be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

When Yamaha decides who's face to run in an add, it's a long list of guys. If you're a Yamaha endorser, you're always behind Gadd & Weckl as the top dog.

Sakae doesn't have that many top names. So a guy that has some name has a much better chance you're going to appear in their advertising.

And maybe Sakae offered to guarantee a certain number of clinics or some such benefit.

I recently sat down with one of Sakae's new top artists, who's a good friend of mine, and this kind of sums up why he made the move.

The way I understand it is that the quality of the drums is the same as what Yamaha has always had. So that's not in question.
But because they are a small building company the artists are getting more individual attention.

Who buys a kit because some one famous uses it? Waste of time and money. I could sit down behind Novak's personal kit will never sound anything like him.
How many people bought Ludwig because Ringo used them? Bonham?

I think that's the point of an endorser. Companies use endorsers to help sell their product.

I bought my 1st yamies in 88, power tour customs. I liked the drums, but I remember being influenced strongly by how many pro players were using yamies in modern drummer mag.

How many people bought Ludwig because Ringo used them? Bonham?

I think that's the point of an endorser. Companies use endorsers to help sell their product.

I don't think that really applies when we are talking about a small builder selling really pricy kits. Some guys may have more money than sense but generally people in position to have that kind of disposable cash are a little more analytical than that or they wouldn't be in a position to have that kind of coin in the first place

I don't think that really applies when we are talking about a small builder selling really pricy kits. Some guys may have more money than sense but generally people in position to have that kind of disposable cash are a little more analytical than that or they wouldn't be in a position to have that kind of coin in the first place

Because there are two words in the term "music business"

One word is "music" and the other is "business".

Endorsements are part of the "business" aspect.

And discussing the "business" aspect of the music business is relevant to a drum forum.

And speaking for myself, as a drummer with a business degree who has been in, out, and around drum product sales much of my life, I find all these discussions both relevant and interesting.

Not only did I choose my 602 cymbals based on what Ndugu played in 1979, but I sold my Yamaha drums and saved a pile of cash to get my first set of new drums in 25 years, when he switched to Sakae. I wanted birch toms on a maple kick, in standard sizes and that's what I got. I have owned and played many drum kits. This one is special. The quality of the build is absolutely exceptional. They sound amazing and it's a privilege to play them. The Trilogy 3 ply sets have gained a lot of attention, but the Almighty and Celestial series are gaining ground. When I was buying this kit, if I sent an email to the factory, I got a reply that day. Sakae have been making drums like this 1925. They must be doing ok though, since the wait for a custom set is now 12 months. I waited 9 and it was worth it.
IMG_0885_zpsd2fdd2f5.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG9WdU8fP8I

Because he was offered a better deal, no other reason. No one with even half a brain cell believes these guys when they talk about how the drums they endorse are the best ever. They are in efect working for the drum manufacturer what do you expect them to say?

A friend of mine is an ex pro, now a music shop owner, and he is given his heads free by company A. He prefers company B's heads but he gets the A's free so he uses them, obviously, and anytime he is asked how he gets his great sound and what heads he uses he is advertising co A's products.

Because he was offered a better deal, no other reason. No one with even half a brain cell believes these guys when they talk about how the drums they endorse are the best ever. They are in efect working for the drum manufacturer what do you expect them to say?

A friend of mine is an ex pro, now a music shop owner, and he is given his heads free by company A. He prefers company B's heads but he gets the A's free so he uses them, obviously, and anytime he is asked how he gets his great sound and what heads he uses he is advertising co A's products.

You seriously have no idea about modern endorsements, but carry on anyway.

Not only did I choose my 602 cymbals based on what Ndugu played in 1979, but I sold my Yamaha drums and saved a pile of cash to get my first set of new drums in 25 years, when he switched to Sakae. I wanted birch toms on a maple kick, in standard sizes and that's what I got. I have owned and played many drum kits. This one is special. The quality of the build is absolutely exceptional. They sound amazing and it's a privilege to play them. The Trilogy 3 ply sets have gained a lot of attention, but the Almighty and Celestial series are gaining ground. When I was buying this kit, if I sent an email to the factory, I got a reply that day. Sakae have been making drums like this 1925. They must be doing ok though, since the wait for a custom set is now 12 months. I waited 9 and it was worth it.
IMG_0885_zpsd2fdd2f5.jpg

Gorgeous kit, I heard one just yesterday and WOW they are pretty much recording customs except I think even better. I love the new almighty Maple's as well. Kind of pricey but no more than a DW or Legacy. The only thing I don't like about them is the badge but I can easily overlook that.

It's not a secret (anymore) that Sakae was making Yamaha's top-of-the-line (Japanese) shells, and the companies parted ways just a few years ago. Some artists who loved their Yamahas undoubtedly felt they should stay with the actual manufacturer in order to preserve their sound.

Bermuda

IMG_0885_zpsd2fdd2f5.jpg

That's a beautiful, beautiful kit! And I cannot agree more with your decision to go with birch toms and maple kick. I still long to have my Recording Customs back, but I must admit t hat the RC kick was a constant struggle for me. The deep, luscious sound of a maple kick drum was just not a possibility with my RC kit, and that one issue is the only thing that prevented me from proclaiming the RC drums as the standard of perfection. (And, yes, I know that some guys love the sound of the RC kicks - it just wasn't what I wanted.)

Once I sold my RC kit and went with a Maple Custom kit I was very enthusiastic with the MC kick sound - but now i missed the sound of the RC toms! Naturally, my ideal drum sound resided in a kit with a MC kick and RC toms, but that purchase hasn't happened yet. Not for me, anyway.

GeeDeeEmm

Back