New Bill Bruford Conversation

Very good interview. Bruford sounds so young!

I also checked out the recent ep with John Robinson, which is also really interesting. Kudos to the interviewer Joe Wong, who makes some very good points, making it a proper conversation.

I just listened to this and was going to start a thread about it. Excellent interview.

I just discovered The Trap Set with Joe Wong recently thanks to a recommendation from a drummer friend. Joe really knows how to conduct an interview.

Most of what I've heard from and about Bill Bruford has come from the written word and not all of it was good. But he is not at all like what I expected in this interview. He's quite warm and engaging and seems like someone I'd like to know.

I strongly recommend checking this out.

Thanks for these.
Bill Bruford is such a very pure musician and a really deep thinker about drums, music and musicians. His book is great, really funny.
Phil Collins - I listened to his interview awhile ago on trap set. I agree he did sound really old, and in a very low place mentally. His book is awfully disappointing, still love his drumming.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this. I've always thought of Bruford as a well-spoken, thoughtful man. It's refreshing to see that he's also modest about his considerable skills and that he possesses a great sense of humor.

Two statements caught my attention:

"On the whole, too little is expected from drummers, and consequently they expect too little from themselves."

An interesting angle on the argument about whether drummers are musicians/artists or not.

"Music is so good for children. But everybody immediately says “you can’t make a living at that.” Whose asking if anybody can earn a living, the child is six!” Take it for what it’s doing you at the time, which is tremendous application. To study a musical instrument is a tremendous thing to do. Never mind if it’s going to earn you a living or not!"

‘Nuff said.

Two statements caught my attention:

"On the whole, too little is expected from drummers, and consequently they expect too little from themselves."

An interesting angle on the argument about whether drummers are musicians/artists or not.

"Music is so good for children. But everybody immediately says “you can’t make a living at that.” Whose asking if anybody can earn a living, the child is six!” Take it for what it’s doing you at the time, which is tremendous application. To study a musical instrument is a tremendous thing to do. Never mind if it’s going to earn you a living or not!"

‘Nuff said.

IMO, drummers should force themselves to get involved with the songwriting process. Even if it's just hammering down some basic melodies in Garageband and presenting to your band. I think back in the day, many rock drummers could be lazy and just wait for their turn to record in a band setting. Get your name on some songwriting credits, even if you are one of many co-writers on a filler album track. One reason Neil Peart and the likes can afford to retire is due to the songwriting royalties.

Back