I've never warmed up before a Gig.

If I have time I like to get 5-10 minutes on the pad before a gig. I like to get the first stick movements out on a pad just to see how I'm feeling rather than go out there and discover I'm cramping up. This might be more psychological than physical but I figure it can't hurt. But if I'm pressed for time I'll just do some stretches and go for it.

Of course when Buddy Rich was asked how he warms up he said he just takes his hands out of his pockets. Always thought that was funny.

I think that about 1 - 2 minutes of stretching does it for me.

I don't understand the need to "warm up" before you play drums.
Unless it's very cold and your hands and feet are very cold.

I can understand warming up for certain instruments, like playing the trumpet.
But not the drums.

I've known a lot of great drummers who did zero warm-up before playing some blistering sets. THEY'RE the ones that I don't understand.

I think it's such an individualized preference, based on the music being played, the particular style of the drummer, the psyche of the performer (some dudes are just relaxed all the time), and - most important, I think - the physiology of the drummer.

Some people have more muscle mass than others. Some have denser muscle mass than others. Some people are rich in slow-twitch fibers, other fast-twitch. Some have longer muscles, others shorter...etc. etc.

It's impossible to say whether or not warming up is necessary for any given player; they need to figure it out themselves. As a rather high-strung guy with a respectable amount of muscle mass, I always try to warm up before a gig; once my muscles are properly primed (and a little of that nervous energy expended), I can really launch into a set without experiencing tightness or fatigue after a few songs. I feel much looser, which we all know leads to much better playing.

Sometimes it's impossible to get a decent warm-up. In those instances, I try to just stay loose and pull back just a bit until I break a sweat (usually not too long) - use the first few songs AS my warm-up, in a sense.

One more thing: if anyone can't seem to get a warm-up in before their set - if there's no quiet spot, nowhere to drop a drum pad, seemingly no place to fire off some quick rudiments - I recommend using my patented ThighBlaster® method: grab a hand towel, twist it, and tie it around your leg just above the knee. Now all you need is a chair, barstool, windowsill, or edge of a sofa; sit down and start working on that towel. The lack of response really works your 'drum muscles' and helps fire them up quicker—and again, all you need is a small towel and a place to sit.

Spending a few minutes playing rudiments on a pad right before a gig makes a noticeable difference for me. I feel like I’ve gotten my muscles ready. I’m building up speed during that time, and I feel like I’m optimizing my grip to move the sticks comfortably and with less effort. My hands just feel ready to do anything after that, and the feeling lasts long enough that I feel a benefit even if I don’t play anything technically demanding until later in the set.

Even the simpler stuff feels effortless after a good warmup. I find I spend more time focusing on the groove and beat placement right from the first note instead of taking a song or two to really settle into my comfort zone.

I've known a lot of great drummers who did zero warm-up before playing some blistering sets. THEY'RE the ones that I don't understand.

I think it's such an individualized preference, based on the music being played, the particular style of the drummer, the psyche of the performer (some dudes are just relaxed all the time), and - most important, I think - the physiology of the drummer.

Some people have more muscle mass than others. Some have denser muscle mass than others. Some people are rich in slow-twitch fibers, other fast-twitch. Some have longer muscles, others shorter...etc. etc.

It's impossible to say whether or not warming up is necessary for any given player; they need to figure it out themselves. As a rather high-strung guy with a respectable amount of muscle mass, I always try to warm up before a gig; once my muscles are properly primed (and a little of that nervous energy expended), I can really launch into a set without experiencing tightness or fatigue after a few songs. I feel much looser, which we all know leads to much better playing.

Sometimes it's impossible to get a decent warm-up. In those instances, I try to just stay loose and pull back just a bit until I break a sweat (usually not too long) - use the first few songs AS my warm-up, in a sense.

One more thing: if anyone can't seem to get a warm-up in before their set - if there's no quiet spot, nowhere to drop a drum pad, seemingly no place to fire off some quick rudiments - I recommend using my patented ThighBlaster® method: grab a hand towel, twist it, and tie it around your leg just above the knee. Now all you need is a chair, barstool, windowsill, or edge of a sofa; sit down and start working on that towel. The lack of response really works your 'drum muscles' and helps fire them up quicker—and again, all you need is a small towel and a place to sit.

Excellent post Phil. !

You are correct and just because I never warm up it does not mean other don't need to.

After reading some other posts here, I think I do understand why some drummers would need to warm up. I know how important it is to warm up before you do certain physical activity. For instance in sports. In the past I have injured some of my muscles by not warming up before I played some sports.

So the bottom line is, please don't exclude a warm up just because I don't do it.
And maybe I need to start warming up before I play. I'm getting old you know.........

A wee dram of whiskey is my warm up, and moving around the kit for the soundcheck if we get one. Am usually more focused on being relaxed before getting on stage so that tends to involve chatting to friends and the afore mentioned whiskey (Jameson's in case you're asking - up the Dubs!)

Back in my late teens and early 20s when I was playing death metal with a lot of double bass and blast beats I would, but that was mostly just because that style of playing is so athletic. I don't really do any of that for a long enough period of time in any song I play that I much worry about it anymore.

I don't warm up at all anymore. In rehearsal, the first run through the set is my best 4 out 5 times. It's not that I'm tired in additional run throughs, but that seems to be when my creative juices flow the most. Live, I figure the hustle of setup is enough movement to get your muscles warmed up, like it really matters.

I've never warmed up before a gig, and I honestly don't think I ever will, as my band plays some fairly bluesy classic rock. IMO, there's nothing physically demanding about the stuff I play, hence why I never warm up. Even when I'm playing fast metal, I don't feel that warming up helps.

There have been times when I sit behind the kit, and start out with 200BPM and up, and there have been others where I gradually ease into the speed. I don't find there to be a difference in quality; I'm equally sloppy either way! ;)

All jokes aside, I don't feel a difference if I warm up or not, regardless of what I'm playing.

It's hard to say because I have a kit at home that I might play on. So I might sit down and practice during the afternoon.

I think in my case it might be more of a stretching thing I need to do than an actual playing single strokes for 5 minutes thing.

Stretching as in: Extending the arm and Pulling the fingers back towards you and stretching the shoulders out, rubbing the palm muscles, shaking it out, etc.

I agree, I think it's an individual thing, what works for some may not even be needed for others.

...The music I play is pretty energetic, like say Foo Fighters' heavier songs. So It's a lot of work for 50 minutes.

I warm up before making love to my wife. It looks pretty disturbing if you walked in on me. But I make better love. :p

I used to work my hands on the ride to the gig, but haven't done that in a few years. So basically, I don't warm up anymore.

Typically, with the gigs I play, my first set is spent trying to hit the drums as lightly as I am able, so I don't need to pump my hands up before playing.

Excellent post Phil. !

You are correct and just because I never warm up it does not mean other don't need to.

After reading some other posts here, I think I do understand why some drummers would need to warm up. I know how important it is to warm up before you do certain physical activity. For instance in sports. In the past I have injured some of my muscles by not warming up before I played some sports.

So the bottom line is, please don't exclude a warm up just because I don't do it.
And maybe I need to start warming up before I play. I'm getting old you know.........

As well as you can get to know people through posting, you seem like a pretty laid-back guy to me. I'm betting you're already pretty loose when you sit down to play.

Being loose in drumming is similar to being loose in boxing: you don't get tired as quickly because you don't have to overcome the muscle tension that accompanies nerves.

And dammit, I've been playing for almost 30 years...and I still get a little nervous before a gig. It's ridiculous.

Me neither. I should but I never have.

A last-minute pee, a quick look in the mirror, and I'm on.

As well as you can get to know people through posting, you seem like a pretty laid-back guy to me. I'm betting you're already pretty loose when you sit down to play.

Being loose in drumming is similar to being loose in boxing: you don't get tired as quickly because you don't have to overcome the muscle tension that accompanies nerves.

And dammit, I've been playing for almost 30 years...and I still get a little nervous before a gig. It's ridiculous.

Yep, I'm really loose before, during and after I play.

Providing we don't open with Everlong (need to be loose for those fast 16th notes), I just sit on the throne and off we go with no warm-up. I'll loosen up as I go.

Providing we don't open with Everlong (need to be loose for those fast 16th notes), I just sit on the throne and off we go with no warm-up. I'll loosen up as I go.

hahah this is great. I too have struggled with everlong when its been near the start of the gig. I never warm up and I have pulled a shoulder muscle once, because it was very cold and I was performing a fairly intense fill such that when i reached for the far floor tom with my left hand the left shoulder muscle twanged a little.

for years I didn't warm up playing punk and deathmetal.. Just got up and started playing. I always noticed by the last few songs I was really killin it...

my band jams a few songs at my place before hauling the gear, but we end up waiting for a few bands to play and I've cooled off.

Recently I have been hitting a pad for 10-15 minutes before playing and what a difference.. I play harder, faster, tighter and just have more confidence for the first song or 2.

I don't warm up my feet but I tap my toes hitting the pad.

I have seen several drum clinics (mostly metal guys) and they warm up for a half hour before a clinic or show EVERY TIME.

now, I think it would help everyone to warm up, but guys who play slower obviously can just sit down and hit away and warm up as they play. when i have to do 240bpm i need to get the blood moving first.

Think of a runner. they have a stretch, and jog a bit before going into full sprint or they wouldn't make it all that far.

I suggest to all the guys that don't warm up... take a pad, and just do a few minutes of double strokes, paraddidles and singles before you next gig. Can't hurt you.

Back