Dance Songs

TheDrumster

I play in a cover band that does primarily dance tunes. For those that play in similar bands, what songs do you find that people cannot resist dancing to? You know, within seconds of the song kicking in, people are scrambling to the dance floor....

Do you mean dance songs, or songs that people dance to? Can be very different genres!

Classic songs that people dance to are Proud Mary, Chain Of Fools, What I Like About You, Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally, Gloria, Play That Funky Music White Boy, Honky Tonk Woman, most Motown songs, etc. The oldies but goodies always work, even with the younger crowd. If a song moved young people then, it still moves young people today.

Bermuda

Do you mean dance songs, or songs that people dance to? Can be very different genres!

Classic songs that people dance to are Proud Mary, Chain Of Fools, What I Like About You, Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally, Gloria, Play That Funky Music White Boy, Honky Tonk Woman, most Motown songs, etc. The oldies but goodies always work, even with the younger crowd. If a song moved young people then, it still moves young people today.

Bermuda

Songs that people dance to...

I'm interested in what people think are the greatest dance tunes from the 60's 'till now.

Last edited:
Color my world. Though people usually walk together slowly to the floor when it starts.

The bass guitar playing the "off" notes 2 & 4 is generally what makes people dance.

That and alcohol.

If they are drunk enough they will dance to 30 minute renditions of LaBamba or Whip It. :)

Everybody talks-Neon Trees
Hot in here-Nelly( i play the cowbell part with the left hand while playing the bass/snare/hat with the right)
Moves like Jagger-Maroon 5
Bruno Mars-Locked out of Heaven
Sex on Fire-KOL
Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy-Big and Rich
Lit-my own worst enemy

These are the probably the top ones, in order of response. That Neon trees song absolutely KILLS for some strange reason, no matter which club or which city my cover band plays in. Wierd.

. That Neon trees song absolutely KILLS for some strange reason, .

The reason is that it's a killer song :) Power Pop rules!!

I don't know who decided to mix up the kick drum part in the first 2 verses but, I've got to say, I have never heard it done before.

Old thread but, since it's back....

The #1 dance song here is barely even a song.

I first heard it at a party gig. Someone plugged it into to our PA at a break and people swarmed to the floor. I said, "uhhhhh...why aren't we playing this"?

It took literally 60 seconds to learn the music and the backing vocals.

Cupid Shuffle.

We replayed it (by request) last night. It seems kind of dumb but, who am I to judge? There is some kind of dance that goes along with it and I guess people like to participate in group activities.

For the record, I'm an old R&R drummer at heart but I have expanded my horizons lately. I enjoy switching to auto pilot once in a while and just checking out the crowd.

Back