Playing without a click when jamming

I nerver considered the other musicians having no feel or time. If that's the case then you have a whole different problem.

I wholeheartedly agree, but...

Changing bands because the pianist tends to rush seems a bit drastic, don't you think? I've found it immensely useful to play with people who have strong tendencies to either push or pull the time. It makes me focus on keeping the boat going steadily, and I've noticed that my timing and my awareness of timing has benefited from it quite a lot. And it really makes me appreciate the people who do play in the pocket with me!

huge difference between a piano player who rushes and a band who leans on the theory that the drummer keeps the time and they rely on him for it

a player who rushes can create a nice tension if the players understand how to listen to each other and understand that time is elastic

Thanks guys, really great replies. I think it comes down to that thing about owning the click. Your absolutely right. I need to own the click instead of the click own me! Also, with reference to that other thread, i'm going to practice to a click where you can silence certain parts. I'll have a more in depth look tomorrow at all your responses. Benn pretty busy these last couple of days with GCSE work:/ Merry Christmas!

Back