A PayPal question

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey all,

Some of you know I'm adding drums to my Pearl EXR kit to create a monster double bass kit. Well, I've pulled the trigger today and am awaiting an eBay invoice to pay for it. Since the seller has taken $10 off of the deal for three drums, he's telling me he can't invoice me through eBay.

He did, however, send a regular PayPal invoice that I can pay.

I've been doing dealings via eBay for a while now, but this is the first time anyone has told me they can't do this via eBay (even after I ended the auction on eBay) because of the price difference. Can anyone verify if this is the case? Can't the seller just change his price in eBay and send out an invoice?

Obviously, all the protections I'm afforded via eBay go out the window when you do what would be considered an outside of eBay transaction like this, so I want to avoid that. OR - does PayPal have protections built-in even though it isn't an eBay deal?

I admit, I'm being lazy. I really didn't want to go digging around PayPal and eBay to see what I'm protected against. Anyone here have this happen? I'd hate not to be able to do this deal if the seller just doesn't know what he's doing.

I contacted a seller that I had done eBay biz with in the past and I asked him if he possibly had a particular
drum that I was looking for.
He said that he did have the drum, I agreed to the price, and he sent me a PayPal bill.
He didn't have the drum that I wanted listed on eBay.
I payed for the drum and he shipped it. He is a 100% pos seller and I trust him.

As far as I know he can edit the invoice's shipping, I'm not so sure about the actual price on said drums. What's his trader rating? If its high he's probably trustworthy..

Back when I had my Sonor Force 2001s I found a matching 10" tom on craigslist somewhere down in the states (I'm in canada). Emailed him and discussed a deal, sent him the money and he sent me the tom. No ebay, no agreements other than via email.. Guess it comes down to how much you trust a stranger.

Keep in mind you can always charge back on paypal if there's ever an issue with your order (well you can charge back even without having an issue.. But that's fraud).

I did some research and yes, I'm well-protected from PayPal's standpoint regardless. Plus the fact that the money is going through a major credit card so I suppose I don't have anything to worry about. I just thought it strange that he couldn't send me an eBay invoice even if I ended the auction. He did email me about changing the shipping, but that didn't help because his listing stated free shipping, so he had nothing he could change. I'll pay the guy - and get my rock n roll show off the ground!

Available: drummer with big double bass kit for any vintage fusion projects or, if I must, heavy metal. Long hair wig optional ;)

*ahem* pictures, or it didn't happen. And I know you have cameras. And a model, also. In fact, she should be in the picture too, if at all possible.

*ahem* pictures, or it didn't happen. And I know you have cameras. And a model, also. In fact, she should be in the picture too, if at all possible.

Gimme a week for the shipping and I'll post the pictures probably a little after Christmas. The model will not be available unfortunately. She's busy flying around as a stewardess these days. She likes to facebook pictures of herself relaxing on the beach in Maui while we sorta' freeze here in California.

Gimme a week for the shipping and I'll post the pictures probably a little after Christmas. The model will not be available unfortunately. She's busy flying around as a stewardess these days. She likes to facebook pictures of herself relaxing on the beach in Maui while we sorta' freeze here in California.

Wow. Beautiful AND cruel. Gotta love it.

Well, she let me know to day she'll be in town on Tuesday. So she's taking me to lunch. I like women who make their own way in the world ;)

You're a terribly lucky man.

Back