Jazz

pgm554

Platinum Member
Frank Zappa: Jazz, the music of unemployment.

Miles Davis: I play jazz cause I don't like crowds.

What's the source for that Miles quote? That sounds like made up BS.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like something Miles would have said. Also, for most of his career up until the 1970s, jazz was extremely popular and his concerts were very crowded... not that he would have noticed!

There was an interview with Hal Blaine and he made mention of why he never pushed himself as a jazz drummer and he mentions that comment made about Miles.

Go to 9:30 in this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTgPv2JsMm8

He says that he read an interview where Miles said that; it just seems odd seeing as Miles was playing to enormous crowds all over the world Granted he had his back to them, but he probably realized he was playing to enormous mobs of people.

Also Hal Blaine started by saying that there was no money in jazz, so he went into rock. Miles was wearing $10,000 suits from Italy and drove a ferrari, I don't think he was exactly hurting for money!

The quote as Blaine says it is "I hated crowds." I think he's taking an old joke and mistakenly attributing it to Miles, because that's kind of a ridiculous taken at face value. Jazz was popular music when Miles took it up. Either way, you have to get the words right-- you can't just make something up that fits what you want to say and put Miles's name on it, and publish it online for other people to repeat.

The quote as Blaine says it is "I hated crowds." I think he's taking an old joke and mistakenly attributing it to Miles, because that's kind of a ridiculous taken at face value. Jazz was popular music when Miles took it up. Either way, you have to get the words right-- you can't just make something up that fits what you want to say and put Miles's name on it, and publish it online for other people to repeat.

So don't like and hate are antonyms?
And yeah ,it was meant to be humorous just like the FZ quote..

I also find it strange that the drums marketed towards jazz players seem to be the most expensive, hands down.
Here's a $7000 3-piece for your $50 gig. Now go knock em dead!

Maybe neither here nor there, but veracity in quote attribution died with the advent of the world wide web. Judging by social media sites and internet forums, you'd think Morgan Freeman and Einstein authored half the things ever said by a human.

Back