Kit 1
13x9 rack
16x16 floor
20x14 kick
Kit 2(that i'm currently gigging with)
12x8 rack
14x14floor
20x14 kick
i use the same 14x5 snare with both kits.
I've noticed that with some venues i really wish i had my 13 and 16 toms but for other venues the 12 and 14 work perfectly. The problem i have is that the finishes of the 2 kits are so different that i cant mix and match and be satisfied with the look.
So i've come to the conclusion that i should buy a kit that contains all those tom sizes and a 20in bass giving the option of a 2 up 2 down setup but more importantly allowing me to switch tom setups at will while achieving a uniform look either way. so the kit would be as follows
12x8 rack
13x9 rack
14x14 floor
16x16 floor
20x14-15 kick
My main problem is I cant decide what kit i should really get I'm basically going back and forth between Ludwig Keystone or Legacy. Since the first kit described above is a genuine early 70's Ludwig 3 ply i'm leaning towards the legacies.
Any comments on the pros and cons of either series / price differences etc would be appreciated. Granting that this is all subjective and both kits are on the higher end. I've already decided on a Supraphonic snare if that helps at all.

There was a recent thread http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107343 with a legacy set @ Steve Maxwell's that sounded phenomenal. What about C/L or Ebay for orphans for either set. For that matter not knowing finishes or how much fading, order new legacy toms from Ludwig to match.

Ordering the toms from Ludwig sounds like a much easier way to do this. And i can do the same with the second kit too i realize. Thank you very much for putting me onto this track of thinking about the problem.

Been there, done that. Those are great sizes. I put together a vintage 60's Ludwig Keystone kit in that config this summer.
Buy the keystones that you need and go for it. You will be a happy camper when you do.
Sell off the remainder when you are through.

Back