Louis Bellson Method

ryanlikealion

I'm currently enjoying working through the Louis Bellson book 'Modern Reading Text in 4/4"

I'm looking to discuss the book with others who've enjoyed it and to develop some new ways of working through the exercises.

Would like to read some critiques of this book. Please point me out to any appropriate posts or add to this one.

I used this and the Odd Times book. Used much like Syncopation and New Breed, etc... Any "system" you can come up with can be used with both books. Endless...

Regardless of what instrument you played, this book was required reading for all students when I studied music (many moons ago).

It works on so many levels. Practice for getting your sight-reading together (if you're able to read rhythm without thinking about it, then it frees you up to concentrate on pitches). Common rhythms that you encounter in big band phrasing (don't forget to practice the exercises swung as well as straight). Many of the phrases work as comping for the left hand while you maintain the typical spang-a-lang ride pattern.

Can't recommend it enough.

Back