Snare Sizes

Dyecast

Hi, I'm new to this forum (first post), there might already be a post like this and if so please direct me there.

I'm ordering my dream kit in the next couple weeks and am wanting 2 snares, the primary one being deep/lower pitched and the second (placed to the left of the hi hat) being higher pitched. I want there to be a pretty significant difference between the two when tuned similarly.

I'm not sure whether to have the first be 6.5x14, or anywhere up to around 8x14; second will most likely be 3.5 or 3 x14 (piccolo). What are your suggestions? By the way, these will be all acrylic drums with diecast hoops. Thanks!

-Adam

14x6.5 is a pretty standard choice......especially for rock. Can't go wrong with that one. So given that, there'll be plenty of separation between that one and a 14x3 or 3.5 piccolo. Both sizes will certainly give you the sound you seem to be after.

You might should first consider a maple snare for your primary. I have a Craviotto Solid Shell 6.5x14, and it do pretty much everything.

But if you insist on acrylic, I'd say probably a 14x7", for aiming more towards that deep punch. An 8" in depth probably is going to give you a little too much overtone, plus the 7" will give you a little more versatility. This also provides a little more low end than a 6.5" depth.

On the side, I'd say something a little smaller than a piccolo. Like a 12x3 if you want decent high pitch. Personally, I'd get a "popcorn" snare. Like a 10x6, for a really noticeable pop/crack.

Mark

I have a 6x14 maple and used a 3x13 brass as my side snare but now have a 6x12 maple as my side snare and there is still alot of difference in tone and pitch between the 2, I also use fairly wet sounding heads and use studio rings to dry them out when needed. This way I can chose from 4 different sounds very quickly just by adding or removing the ring.

Seems to me like a 5" is the best compromise. It can go either way, tight or fat. And no engineer ever said "Damn, you're using a FIVE inch snare drum?"

Back