DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:55 PM

Default Cocktail Drums are Coming BACK !!

I recently got my Trixon Kit....and I love it.

The site AllAboutCocktailDrums.com gives great information along with galleries, videos, etc to give u an idea of why they are gaining popularity again..

(you will see my video at bottom of page of AllAboutCocktailDrums.com)

i am now adding a remote hi-hat to see if I can add more creativity when using hi-hats with this stand up kit !! :)

Hope u like :)
Denise
Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Cocktail Drums are Coming BACK !!

I love cocktail kits.

I donít actually have one, and obviously there are serious limitations compared to a regular kit, but thereís something very cool about them. Some day Iíll get me one.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

But is anyone playing rock gigs, three sets of standing on one foot with them? Can they really give you a passable bass drum sound?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
But is anyone playing rock gigs...?
When I saw Midnight Oil a few years back, the band opened the show with everybody all lined up across the front of the stage. The drummer (dunno who he was) was playing a cocktail kit, and it sounded great in a rock setting. (After a few tunes he went back and played his regular kit for the rest of the night.)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
But is anyone playing rock gigs, three sets of standing on one foot with them? Can they really give you a passable bass drum sound?
I have played a cocktail drum for about two years (see Tiki set link below). About 80 percent of what you know on a sit-down set is transferable and you need to learn the other 20 percent that is unique to playing standing.

The bass drum is quite passable for the kinds of gigs you do with a cocktail set. In fact, a cocktail set is perfect for busking, or small gigs where a traditional set would be overbearing. The whole point is to have a smaller, quieter set, which is something other musicians and audience members appreciate greatly and of course you can mike them like any other set. There are many gigs i would never get if I didn't have my cocktail set.

To reduce fatigue, I switch feet on the bass drum. This is actually a good thing as it helps train my left foot to step out of its comfort zone. There is no hihat pedal, but I do use closed hats. Nevertheless, playing a cocktail set is inherently more uncomfortable than a sit-down set, but the cool factor can't be beat.

If it ain't standing, it ain't cocktail.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduin View Post
I love cocktail kits.

I donít actually have one, and obviously there are serious limitations compared to a regular kit, but thereís something very cool about them. Some day Iíll get me one.
Yes, there are limitations, but a traditional set also carries its own set of limitations. I have played my cocktail set in venues where the owner would freak out if you brought in a traditional set, but the cocktail set flies in under the radar and the much lower volume is welcome.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
...the cocktail set...much lower volume...
Yeah, but isn’t volume much more about how you play than what you play? I mean, I’m pretty sure I could reach pretty high dB on any kit, cocktail or otherwise.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:11 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduin View Post
When I saw Midnight Oil a few years back, the band opened the show with everybody all lined up across the front of the stage. The drummer (dunno who he was) was playing a cocktail kit, and it sounded great in a rock setting. (After a few tunes he went back and played his regular kit for the rest of the night.)
The drummer is Rob Hirst. I used to see the Oils play all the time. Rob's a great rock drummer.

Quote:
... playing a cocktail set is inherently more uncomfortable than a sit-down set, but the cool factor can't be beat.

That's the deal-breaker for me. I saw a bar band in the 80s with a stand up drummer. Next day I tried it at home and it didn't take long before I had to stop.

I guess that's conditioning, but I like my Rhythm Traveler, dinky low end beastie that it is - it's like a cross between a cocktail and normal kit.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
The drummer is Rob Hirst. I used to see the Oils play all the time. Rob's a great rock drummer.

That's the deal-breaker for me. I saw a bar band in the 80s with a stand up drummer. Next day I tried it at home and it didn't take long before I had to stop.

I guess that's conditioning, but I like my Rhythm Traveler, dinky low end beastie that it is - it's like a cross between a cocktail and normal kit.
Yeah, playing a cocktail set is pretty uncomfortable and I think that's one of the limitations for a lot of people. I manage it by shifting between the left and right foot for the bass drum. I've seen some compact sets that allow seated playing using a floor tom instead of a true cocktail drum. Then they sometimes add hats and hat pedal, double pedals, tripod stands for cymbals and tripod stands for toms. At that point, it's not a cocktail kit any more but I'm a purist.

I have played a Rhythm Traveler briefly and they are great little sets, compact and easy to manage and they sound great.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:

Yes... I do get tired when playing them as well. I am going to try a higher type stool in which I can lean back on but still actually be standing. I also practice with this kit than my regular kit now. I don't have the space and when I'm not using my Yamaha Electric kit...I just jump over on my cocktail kit and practice my rudiments.. It is about CONDITIONING... Most of my gigs right now require a full set up....
Old 06-17-2012, 02:11 AM

Quote:

I have seen the Rhythm traveler...... I may have to take a closer look ! :-)
Old 06-17-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, there are limitations, but a traditional set also carries its own set of limitations. I have played my cocktail set in venues where the owner would freak out if you brought in a traditional set, but the cocktail set flies in under the radar and the much lower volume is welcome.
Very true. I have played at some venues where I ended up just bringing in a bass drum, snare, hi-hat and 1 cymbal, because it was literally in the window of a restuarant in which space was limited. The owner was also concerned about volume of the drums.

I honestly haven't gotten used to the upside pedal. I love to do cool stuff with my foot and I haven't quite got the feel of the upside down pedal. Might need adjusting but feels slower to me...
Old 06-17-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
I have played a cocktail drum for about two years (see Tiki set link below). About 80 percent of what you know on a sit-down set is transferable and you need to learn the other 20 percent that is unique to playing standing.

The bass drum is quite passable for the kinds of gigs you do with a cocktail set. In fact, a cocktail set is perfect for busking, or small gigs where a traditional set would be overbearing. The whole point is to have a smaller, quieter set, which is something other musicians and audience members appreciate greatly and of course you can mike them like any other set. There are many gigs i would never get if I didn't have my cocktail set.

To reduce fatigue, I switch feet on the bass drum. This is actually a good thing as it helps train my left foot to step out of its comfort zone. There is no hihat pedal, but I do use closed hats. Nevertheless, playing a cocktail set is inherently more uncomfortable than a sit-down set, but the cool factor can't be beat.

Wow...I will try switching my foot..... I now have a remote hi hat because I don't like not having flexibility of my hi hat.... Great points !!
Old 06-17-2012, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Yes...you can get a nice out of the bass drum. I have a video on Youtube... but there are some great drummers....different styles of playing on Youtube.

I mic'd my kit but I also played it without the mics so that you could hear the raw sound...
Tuning a muffling the skins (egg foam or whatever you choose, is necessary)
Old 06-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Renegade

Quote:
I manage it by shifting between the left and right foot for the bass drum.
That would be another kind of discomfort for me!

Quote:
I've seen some compact sets that allow seated playing using a floor tom instead of a true cocktail drum. Then they sometimes add hats and hat pedal, double pedals, tripod stands for cymbals and tripod stands for toms. At that point, it's not a cocktail kit any more but I'm a purist.
Sounds like a nice middle ground, though. I see your point - there is a kind of presence from both standing and the minuscule size of the kit that is unique.

Quote:
I have played a Rhythm Traveler briefly and they are great little sets, compact and easy to manage and they sound great.
I'm happy with mine with my loungey band for the most part. I'd like a little bit more depth the the 12" to reduce the boing, but I tune mine low because I need one deeper voice on the kit that's not the bass drum. It'd be good to find a concert tom with compatible fittings that was a few inches deeper, maybe 12 x 8. The 8" tom is fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Johnson View Post
Yes... I do get tired when playing them as well. I am going to try a higher type stool in which I can lean back on but still actually be standing.
That's a good idea. The hard part would be finding something light and portable. I started with a kitchen stool and used it for 20 years, but I don't recommend that :)
Old 06-17-2012, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I recently got my Trixon Kit....and I love it.

The site AllAboutCocktailDrums.com gives great information along with galleries, videos, etc to give u an idea of why they are gaining popularity again..

(you will see my video at bottom of page of AllAboutCocktailDrums.com)

i am now adding a remote hi-hat to see if I can add more creativity when using hi-hats with this stand up kit !! :)

Hope u like :)
Denise
Nice demonstration of the kit! Very solid groove. I've been intrigued by the cocktail kit ever since I was a child but I never got in to them, and I think it's because of my height (5'1" on a good day). When I saw the Steve Jordan cocktail kit a friend played while working at Disneyland, it was just too tall for me, but he played it great anyway.

It would be cool if they make a big comeback, but sometimes I think maybe the idea has had its time and that's why they fell out of favor. I myself can no longer enjoy a bass drum smaller than a 20, and the original cocktail kits with those 15" bass drums just end up sounding anemic. Later in the 70s when someone came up with the idea of the up-striking pedal and hooking it to an 18 floor tom to basically, eliminate the bass drum I thought that idea would really take off since you get a better bass drum sound. But I think many drummers still felt it was a novelty, and carrying around an actual bass drum isn't really that much more when you thought about it.

But I do like it when I see other people playing them and having a good time. I'm just too short!

Does playing an Octapad with a bass trigger pedal count? I had done that for years in really small playing areas ;)
Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
I'd like a little bit more depth the the 12" to reduce the boing, but I tune mine low because I need one deeper voice on the kit that's not the bass drum. It'd be good to find a concert tom with compatible fittings that was a few inches deeper, maybe 12 x 8.
I'm guessing you're using the 12" as a floor tom, if it's the case, fittings is not an issue as such, you can attach a deeper 12" tom to the ride cymbal stand using some sort of clamps.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
I'm guessing you're using the 12" as a floor tom, if it's the case, fittings is not an issue as such, you can attach a deeper 12" tom to the ride cymbal stand using some sort of clamps.
Kind of, really it's my in .between drum. It has to do the job of both mounted and floor. It seems too much to ask of a 12 x 5 :) Thing is, I have really lightweight cymbal stands so a clamp with a tom would topple either of them.

If I could find a 12 or 13" concert tom with compatible fittings I could slot it on to the same fitting on the bass drum ... if that's too optimistic I'll see about having it custom made. If worst comes to worst, buy a 12" concert tom and get the RT fitting put on it.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:57 PM

Sit the hell down Lars, and play the drums!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

Cocktail drums are so cool! They were very popular in teh 40's into the early 60's. they were mostly used by latin and jazz groups, and mostly in small dinner clubs, not auditoriums. The music was mostly intimate dinner venues, for which these were perfect. Present, but not overpowering. Musicians then played in smaller sets, and more often. They were not standing for 45 minutes to an hour, so they got to rest a bit more. they would play from maybe 7:00-11:00, or 9:00 to 1:00 in big cities, with numerous short breaks.

It wasn't until bigger bands were more of a solo scene that bigger and louder sets were brought in, but these were for more of a concert setting, not quiet dinners with mood music. For shorter sets that do not require blastissimo volume, cocktail sets are perfect. We just need to let them rediscover there niche.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:42 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I'll take a pass on the cocktail kits. I wouldn't want to stand up and play. And I will challenge any drummer on any kit of their choosing in a low volume competition, with me on my regular set of full size drums. I can play an entire night where normal conversation is louder than me, no problem whatsoever. The only upside I see with the cocktail kits is you need less space, but that's just me. I need the stability of my awesome butt so I can do what I want with both pedals, and not have to balance on both heels.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I'll take a pass on the cocktail kits. I wouldn't want to stand up and play. And I will challenge any drummer on any kit of their choosing in a low volume competition, with me on my regular set of full size drums. I can play an entire night where normal conversation is louder than me, no problem whatsoever. The only upside I see with the cocktail kits is you need less space, but that's just me. I need the stability of my awesome butt so I can do what I want with both pedals, and not have to balance on both heels.
You should probably stick with a conventional set in that case. Cocktail sets are eccentric and exotic and not for everyone, and not for everywhere. Sure, anyone can plan a run-of-the-mill drum set quietly, but cocktail sets just lend themselves more easily to that. Playing a pedal standing does limit your ability to put much serious oomph into the pedal. Add in the small drum sizes and you have a built-in set of conditions to limit volume more naturally. Plus, it is very cool and fun to play standing, even if it is much more of a challenge than a common drum set.

Some of the appeal is psychological. I've taken the cocktail set to places where the venue owner would have freaked out at the thought of a standard drum set coming into his place, both for reasons of space and volume. It would have been little help to say, "But I can play this really really quiet." Yeah, I'm sure they've heard that line before!

But a cocktail set is different enough to where it slides in under the radar and its eccentric, fun-loving nature give it a high degree of cool. Plus, playing standing shows off the drummer more. After years of being the only one in the band sitting, it feels great to stand.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:38 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Totally agree with your entire post. Well, one tiny exception, playing lightly is not something everyone can do well in my experience. It takes real control to burn at low volume. I know a lot of guys who I call tappers who do play at a low volume, but thats because they don't have the raw power (it seems) to hit with authority. They play aimlessly and kinda suck IMO. Then you have plenty of guys who can hit the snot out of them but can't turn a subtle passage at all, it's just not in them. It's the guys who have the power but only use what's necessary for the room/music that I admire. It's not something everyone can do in my world.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Totally agree with your entire post. Well, one tiny exception, playing lightly is not something everyone can do well in my experience. It takes real control to burn at low volume. I know a lot of guys who I call tappers who do play at a low volume, but thats because they don't have the raw power (it seems) to hit with authority. They play aimlessly and kinda suck IMO. Then you have plenty of guys who can hit the snot out of them but can't turn a subtle passage at all, it's just not in them. It's the guys who have the power but only use what's necessary for the room/music that I admire. It's not something everyone can do in my world.
Yeah, very true. Not even an inherently lower-volume instrument like a cocktail set can make up for that. Being able to play expressively at lower volumes just comes with experience and judgment.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 AM
Gold Member

the best drum teacher I ever had would listen to me play, then would say something like: "Very good, now play it at PP and half as fast. drove me crazy! Quite and articulate playing, fast or slow, is what separates the beaters and the musicians. Cocktail sets still sound great when played with finesse.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Nice demonstration of the kit! Very solid groove. I've been intrigued by the cocktail kit ever since I was a child but I never got in to them, and I think it's because of my height (5'1" on a good day). When I saw the Steve Jordan cocktail kit a friend played while working at Disneyland, it was just too tall for me, but he played it great anyway.

It would be cool if they make a big comeback, but sometimes I think maybe the idea has had its time and that's why they fell out of favor. I myself can no longer enjoy a bass drum smaller than a 20, and the original cocktail kits with those 15" bass drums just end up sounding anemic. Later in the 70s when someone came up with the idea of the up-striking pedal and hooking it to an 18 floor tom to basically, eliminate the bass drum I thought that idea would really take off since you get a better bass drum sound. But I think many drummers still felt it was a novelty, and carrying around an actual bass drum isn't really that much more when you thought about it.

But I do like it when I see other people playing them and having a good time. I'm just too short!

Does playing an Octapad with a bass trigger pedal count? I had done that for years in really small playing areas ;)
...whatever works in small areas COUNTS !!! I think people are coming up with newer ways to travel small when they have to....... I actually had a Simmons electronic kit in the hotel room while traveling with hip hop artist. It could be folded and moved from place to place. It could have actually been used on gigs because it had great sounds.... :-)

Love your TAMA StarClassic Kit. Beautiful kit !

My regular gigging kit is a Tama. No bells and whistles, but its a solid kit that I've used for my local gigs for years (5 yrs) Built very well. Here is a video :-) Just a funk jam http://youtu.be/g6U4wdrQhz4
Old 06-18-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
You should probably stick with a conventional set in that case. Cocktail sets are eccentric and exotic and not for everyone, and not for everywhere. Sure, anyone can plan a run-of-the-mill drum set quietly, but cocktail sets just lend themselves more easily to that. Playing a pedal standing does limit your ability to put much serious oomph into the pedal. Add in the small drum sizes and you have a built-in set of conditions to limit volume more naturally. Plus, it is very cool and fun to play standing, even if it is much more of a challenge than a common drum set.

Some of the appeal is psychological. I've taken the cocktail set to places where the venue owner would have freaked out at the thought of a standard drum set coming into his place, both for reasons of space and volume. It would have been little help to say, "But I can play this really really quiet." Yeah, I'm sure they've heard that line before!

But a cocktail set is different enough to where it slides in under the radar and its eccentric, fun-loving nature give it a high degree of cool. Plus, playing standing shows off the drummer more. After years of being the only one in the band sitting, it feels great to stand.

Very well said !! It is psychological because drummers are used to sitting and having a certain amount of control.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastbeatkeeper View Post
Sit the hell down Lars, and play the drums!
Cool...... would love to see a video of you playing the hell out of your kit !! Love good drummers ! I'm a sit down drummer too..... :-)
Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
...whatever works in small areas COUNTS !!! I think people are coming up with newer ways to travel small when they have to....... I actually had a Simmons electronic kit in the hotel room while traveling with hip hop artist. It could be folded and moved from place to place. It could have actually been used on gigs because it had great sounds.... :-)

Love your TAMA StarClassic Kit. Beautiful kit !

My regular gigging kit is a Tama. No bells and whistles, but its a solid kit that I've used for my local gigs for years (5 yrs) Built very well. Here is a video :-) Just a funk jam http://youtu.be/g6U4wdrQhz4
Yeah Denise - I love that funky groove stuff! I was almost going to say the bass player could've played more notes (that would've been sarcasm ;) But I dig that kind of groovin'. Nice! One day I will get to play in a band that lets me play like that ;)
Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Do you use the full kit or only part of it? I had one of them in the 80s and it took up more space than I expected. If I remember correctly, you could remove one of the arms to reduce its size but it was difficult. Sorry. A bit vague. It was a bong time ago :) Awesome playing on your clip, BTW. That groove with the cowbell killed.

Great exchange Larry and DMC! If I can hang feebly on the coattails of your chat, I think the Rhythm Traveler has some of the cocktail kit's impression on bar owners. It doesn't look like it could make as much sound as a normal kit, which is true. My big pies don't help, though - they look like they could make a fair bit of noise - and they can :)

Martin, do you see an outside limit for a cymbal size before it becomes more like a hybrid than a true cocktail set? 15-16" maybe?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do you use the full kit or only part of it? I had one of them in the 80s and it took up more space than I expected. If I remember correctly, you could remove one of the arms to reduce its size but it was difficult. Sorry. A bit vague. It was a bong time ago :) Awesome playing on your clip, BTW. That groove with the cowbell killed.

Great exchange Larry and DMC! If I can hang feebly on the coattails of your chat, I think the Rhythm Traveler has some of the cocktail kit's impression on bar owners. It doesn't look like it could make as much sound as a normal kit, which is true. My big pies don't help, though - they look like they could make a fair bit of noise - and they can :)

Martin, do you see an outside limit for a cymbal size before it becomes more like a hybrid than a true cocktail set? 15-16" maybe?
The whole idea of a cocktail set is compactness of size and sound, plus ease of transport. I would think your biggest cymbal should be no bigger than your biggest drum. I have 10 hats, 12 crash and 16 ride and bolt all my cymbals together and put them on top of the 16 bass drum/floor tom inside the transport bag. That might sound like a silly way to determine maximum cymbal size but it also helps keep the cymbal sound and size scaled to the rest of the set, in addition to making it easy to transport.

The Rhythm Traveler, like a cocktail set, has the advantage of lending itself more easily to quieter playing, which often is a very welcome thing to the audience, venue owner and fellow band members.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Renegade

Quote:
The whole idea of a cocktail set is compactness of size and sound, plus ease of transport. I would think your biggest cymbal should be no bigger than your biggest drum. I have 10 hats, 12 crash and 16 ride and bolt all my cymbals together and put them on top of the 16 bass drum/floor tom inside the transport bag. That might sound like a silly way to determine maximum cymbal size but it also helps keep the cymbal sound and size scaled to the rest of the set, in addition to making it easy to transport.

The Rhythm Traveler, like a cocktail set, has the advantage of lending itself more easily to quieter playing, which often is a very welcome thing to the audience, venue owner and fellow band members.
I don't know if this is really dumb or not, but I was thinking of how a cocktail kit with a large ride would look like a tall glass cocktail. Then I wondered if that's why they're called cocktail kits - because they look like a cocktail with an umbrella ... I'd always figured they were called that because they tend to be used in (overtly) polite settings.

Have I missed the bleeding obvious here?

Yes, I'm enjoying quiet playing more and more. The sounds in a drum kit are so beautiful when you're not whacking the daylights out of them. Very hard for me not to ramp it up - sometimes I suddenly find myself playing louder than I intended without realising it. A lot of old habits to break ...
Old 06-19-2012, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't know if this is really dumb or not, but I was thinking of how a cocktail kit with a large ride would look like a tall glass cocktail. Then I wondered if that's why they're called cocktail kits - because they look like a cocktail with an umbrella ... I'd always figured they were called that because they tend to be used in (overtly) polite settings.

Have I missed the bleeding obvious here?

Yes, I'm enjoying quiet playing more and more. The sounds in a drum kit are so beautiful when you're not whacking the daylights out of them. Very hard for me not to ramp it up - sometimes I suddenly find myself playing louder than I intended without realising it. A lot of old habits to break ...
Whoa, that is a neat image. A cocktail drum that really looks like a cocktail. Maybe have a wrap to look like one of those tallish galsses, with an olive at the bottom and a spear in it. The ride cymbal could be like an umbrella. That would be outrageous. Why not?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Whoa, that is a neat image. A cocktail drum that really looks like a cocktail. Maybe have a wrap to look like one of those tallish galsses, with an olive at the bottom and a spear in it. The ride cymbal could be like an umbrella. That would be outrageous. Why not?
lol... that answers my question. So the name is about the kits originally being used when playing for the cocktail quaffing set.

Fantastic idea about the wrap - it'd be a hoot! Any additional pieces would have to mimic a slice of lemon. Best of all, it wouldn't only be okay, but it would be necessary to use a nice tasty 20 or 21" ride instead of being limited to 16 inches :)

If playing the bass drum standing up didn't get so torrid after a while I'd do that for sure ...
Old 08-05-2012, 05:25 PM

I attached a remote hi-hat to my Cocktail Kit.....but not getting the results I had hoped for.

Not as flexible as I thought. I may try a different type. Someone gave me a DW9000 which is very sturdy.

I'm so used to having full control of a hi-hat ..so it may be a matter of getting used to it.

Used my cocktail kit at an outdoor acoustic gig ..... turned out great !!
If anyone has any information about a good Remote hi-hat ...pls let me know !!

Love my cocktail kit !!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I attached a remote hi-hat to my Cocktail Kit.....but not getting the results I had hoped for.

Not as flexible as I thought. I may try a different type. Someone gave me a DW9000 which is very sturdy.

I'm so used to having full control of a hi-hat ..so it may be a matter of getting used to it.

Love my cocktail kit !!
Hi Denise!

I think you might just have to get used to it. Having a working hi-hat kinda' defeats the purpose of the cocktail kit, eh? Besides, Steve Jordan rocks his, and I remember when he played that stereo-hi-hat thingy - talk about hi-hat overkill ;)
Old 08-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

When I think of cocktail drums I think of show...like the drummer placing cymbals based on how they look...or stick twirling during performace.

I dont see a functional advantage for creating music over sitting on a throne.

I actually see a disadvantage...you lose use of one foot as it must support your weight.

..would be nice to lug around less weight though...and cocktail drums are small...usually...

Saw the Squirrel Nut Zippers using one many years ago...sounded great.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:42 AM

They're coming back? Anyone want mine... cause it's taking up useless space in my garage! haha
Old 08-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
When I think of cocktail drums I think of show...like the drummer placing cymbals based on how they look...or stick twirling during performace.

I dont see a functional advantage for creating music over sitting on a throne.

I actually see a disadvantage...you lose use of one foot as it must support your weight.

..would be nice to lug around less weight though...and cocktail drums are small...usually...

Saw the Squirrel Nut Zippers using one many years ago...sounded great.
I am much more in demand with jazz combos with my cocktail set. I hardly ever play my sit down set any more in public. We play mainly coffeehouses and small clubs so a sit-down set would be overbearing and oafish or not allowed. Other musicians like the cocktail set because it is compact, lower volume and has a high a cool factor. Everyone says they notice no difference in sound between the cocktail and a sitting set, except much-welcome lower volume.

It's a big adjustment for me because I always have my left foot keeping time on the hihat. A cocktail kit is uncofortable and to combat fatigue I play bass with my left foot about a third of the time.

If you ask the musicians I play with, the much prefer the cocktail kit. What's not to love?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Love my cocktail kit !!
Denise, would you mind telling me how you attached the remote hi-hat to the kit? I have the Trixon kit, and the snare, tom and cymbals all go on with L-rods. The DW remote hi-hat comes with a clamp designed to attach to a 1"-1.5" cymbal stand (judging by the picture), and I've been looking for a clamp that will go between an L-rod and the remote hi-hat.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin