DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:02 AM

Default Books for developing 4 way independance.

Ok so this may need some back story. I studied wiht Carl Mottola from 84 to 2001, and had a few lessons with joe morello in there as well. Well, in 2001 I moved and my drums went into storage, books have been lost, and I'm plenty out of practice. I noticed that since I got my kit back my hands and feet are actually performing better than I thought they would, and i'm not having any trouble reading(I did buy a few books and a new practice pad before getting my kit back.). I am however having a massive issue with independence, specifically my right foot ( I'm a lefty). Could anyone recommend any books that can get me back on track?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Books for developing 4 way independance.

There are so many now, the choices are many. I'm sure you'll get many ideas from others on this different from what I list.

Some classic books people have used and still do:

4-Way Coordination by Marvin Dahlgren and Elliot Fine - this book is a killer for sure and will get your limbs moving for sure.

Syncopation - may want to research set application for this book - and there are hundreds - as it's written not as drum-set but is generally applied to the set. People here may have more help on this with written ideas.

Stick Control - same as Syncopation - can be used as various 4 way coordination exercises on set.

New Breed Books 1 & 2

Various Joel Rothman Books

Syncopation, Stick Control and even the New Breed books can be used with the most simple 4 way pattern ideas or extremely complex.

Other ideas I have studied from and use in my teaching... These are more jazz / latin focused.

Keith Copeland - Creative Coordination
John Riley Books
Old 12-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Those are all good recommendations- with the caveat that I think leaping straight for the Dahlgren & Fine is overkill if you're just getting your chops back. It's a very technical book, and not real practical musically. Just recovering your basic everyday drumming vocabulary should be an independence challenge, so I don't know if you need to go out of your way looking for trouble in that department.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Those are all good recommendations- with the caveat that I think leaping straight for the Dahlgren & Fine is overkill if you're just getting your chops back. It's a very technical book, and not real practical musically. Just recovering your basic everyday drumming vocabulary should be an independence challenge, so I don't know if you need to go out of your way looking for trouble in that department.
Thats a really good point. I do have drumstick control that I cracked open for the first time today. The first few pages weren't a problem but 5 or 6 pages in things got difficult. I'm guessing it will be a solid year or so to get my chops back to where they were.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:37 PM
nhzoso

well thats disheartening.. I just bought 4-way coordination and do not remember ever hearing of stick control...LOL
Old 01-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Point well made.......
Old 01-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkav1980 View Post
Thats a really good point. I do have drumstick control that I cracked open for the first time today. The first few pages weren't a problem but 5 or 6 pages in things got difficult. I'm guessing it will be a solid year or so to get my chops back to where they were.
In my opinion some of books like Stick Control are "lifers" as in you are never really done with them. To this day, I've been using some of the books I listed for many, many years (Stick Control for 30+ years).

They never get old and in my opinion you can not outgrow them as there are so many ways you can use them.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Gold Member

get "the new breed" by gary chester... its a 5-way co-ordination book.. easially one of the best out there.